Views: 905
Size:  3.11 MB

Name:  0713141959a_zpsgwihtjis.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  3.20 MB
Old 07-14-2014, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the build, sent message regarding radiator and intercooler also intresred in filter n turbo blanket
Old 07-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome eye for detail on the "new" valve covers! Still pondering taking this up to Good Guys?

(lol, is that Raleigh Hills Freddy's parking lot?)
Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the photos.....trying to work and post sometimes doesnt work that well. I get sidetracked pretty fast with work stuff.

You must have been there before if you knew where that photo was taken. Yep Freddy's parking lot. Its only a mile or two from my house.

Ill be at good guys come hell or high water. Been shooting for it for months and I am not one to quit. It will probably be fresh from the tuner, onto the trailer and head for Seattle but it will be there.

I am still losing sleep over that stupid dent. Its small, like a door ding and all the way at the bottom of the door, but it just makes my stomach turn thinking about it right now....

Devils Own kit showed up at the office this morning. Its a nice little piece, little spendy for what it is though.

Injectors, MAP sensor showed up yesterday so I am pretty much ready to tear into the truck install that stuff and take it to the tuner.

Name:  0715141005_zpsojlq2kpe.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  2.54 MB

Wheels shipped out yesterday and should be here at my office on Thursday so hoping to get tires mounted up Thursday or Friday to check for fitment.

I raised up the front last night and took some measurements on the frontend. 255/40/20 might just fit....might not have any up travel but they might fit.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Are u gonna use a manual boost controller?

What activates meth kit? Hobbs?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by prostreet1967
Are u gonna use a manual boost controller?

What activates meth kit? Hobbs?
Manual boost controller yes.

This is the full progressive kit. It has a progressive controller that you send boost signal to (just a vacuum line from manifold) you set the engagement point where the meth starts and where you want the full spray on. It ramps up the pump from low to high. Pretty sweet setup if it works as well as everyone says it does.

First mildly successful evening last night. Although the truck is still running warm, I dont think I am hurting anything.

I burped a little bit of air from the crossover lines and it brought the temp down a litlte bit at idle. It was 92 and humid as crap yesterday too.

I sat in the sun in 90 degree weather for about 15 minutes with the truck idling and it only got up to 212.

On the highway, cruising down the road at speed, it will drop down to 194 or so.

If I am sitting and I bring the RPM up just a little bit, the temps begin to drop. LIke down to 203-205 range.

I think I might need to check on a flow problem after next weekend.

I dont think I am in danger of overheating in this temp range, but wanted to get some input from some others if I am in danger here.

Made it out and drove it around a little last night. Gas pedal seems to be working like it should with the exception of a little up down, up down, up down at just one spot in the throttle range.

Probably got about 30 miles on it in 90+ degree weather though and no overheating issues.

Wheels should be here tomorrow.

Sean
Old 07-16-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thermostat opens at 194 or 192. At speed, that is how the cooling system should act - drop down to thermostat opening temp .... that is if there is surplus heat transfer available.
Is there room for a second fan on your shroud?

My fan comes on about 200 and within minutes (say 2 - 3) the temp drops to 192 or 194 (gauge not granular enough to be sure). Highest temps I've seen is about 95 with reasonably high humidity (60 to 70%)
But, I don't have an intercooler in front, though I do have an AC condenser. And when the AC is on, in those temps, it takes longer to drop to thermostat opening temps.

Doug
Old 07-16-2014, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

FWIW, the stock fan setpoints on my CTS-V were something like 226F (low speed) and 234F (high speed). From what I understand, that's pretty common for factory setpoints on the LS engines. On hot days in traffic I would routinely see coolant temps up in the 220s and low 230s. If GM didn't see a problem with that, I think you're good to go.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DW SD
Thermostat opens at 194 or 192. At speed, that is how the cooling system should act - drop down to thermostat opening temp .... that is if there is surplus heat transfer available.
Is there room for a second fan on your shroud?

My fan comes on about 200 and within minutes (say 2 - 3) the temp drops to 192 or 194 (gauge not granular enough to be sure). Highest temps I've seen is about 95 with reasonably high humidity (60 to 70%)
But, I don't have an intercooler in front, though I do have an AC condenser. And when the AC is on, in those temps, it takes longer to drop to thermostat opening temps.

Doug
I am currently running without a fan shroud....I know that is my next step to keep it cool. This is pretty much what I am seeing on my setup but the input is great

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
FWIW, the stock fan setpoints on my CTS-V were something like 226F (low speed) and 234F (high speed). From what I understand, that's pretty common for factory setpoints on the LS engines. On hot days in traffic I would routinely see coolant temps up in the 220s and low 230s. If GM didn't see a problem with that, I think you're good to go.
Your message was very timely.....When you posted that up, I was out cruising around for work in my wifes trailblazer ss and see that the temp is dead on at 210 degrees at 80+ degree weather outside.. I have other fish to fry at this point.

Great input though, it is much appreciated.

Sean
Old 07-16-2014, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

these are tricky to bleed. i normally fill thru top hose n use funnel. just bought a vacum refill tool to see how it does.

can u get pics of intercooler set up when u get chance
Old 07-16-2014, 11:25 PM
Launching!

these are tricky to bleed. i normally fill thru top hose n use funnel. just bought a vacum refill tool to see how it does.

can u get pics of intercooler set up when u get chance
he intercoo

I originally filled it through the heater hoses, it seemed to be the best way to get it in the system.

I can try pulling the upper hose off and see what comes out.

I even pulled the steam line off and ran it until I got just a nice stream of water out.

There are a number of pics in the build thread of the intercooler, its almost impossible to see the intercooler with the truck all assembled, but this is from the build thread.

Name:  0324142101_zpsalqwj2ml.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  2.97 MB

Touched up a few little wiring things, cleaned up under the dash a little and generally got ready to drive it to work tomorrow.....Wheels should show up tomorrow and I hope to get the tires mounted up and get them on the truck.

Good god I hope they all fit.

Sean
Old 07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
Launching!

Interesting note.

Temps this morning are less than 60 degrees, truck gets up to operating temp in just a couple of minutes. Gets right to 190 degrees.

Cruising on the freeway it keeps engine temps between 190 and 194. I think I am probably going to open up the thermostat housing and throw in a 180 thermostat and see what that does.

It seems as though there really is nothing wrong with the cooling system. 10-15 degrees of fluctuation from 60 degree outside air temp all the way up to 90+ does not seem like that much of a swing does it?

Drove it into work today, no issues so far except for a noisy wheel bearing or something. Ill look into that maybe this weekend if I have time.

Wheels are on Fed Ex truck out for delivery.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sean
Old 07-17-2014, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

I think it is normal for the thermostat to cycle between a couple of ambient temps, especially without a shroud at idle. As I understand the thermostat is like a throttle, maybe. At 190 it might crack. By 194 it might be wide open. I think it aims to keep things within that range when there is more than enough heat transfer through the radiator.

Bear in mind, temperature difference between cooling water and ambient temperature and air flow across the radiator is what drives heat transfer. If you double the difference in temp between the air and coolant while keeping the same air flow, you'd double heat transfer.

If it were me, I'd leave the thermostat as is. I left mine stock. Then again, I don't have a big turbo strapped to my L92. I think the engine is more efficient at 192 than 180.

Doug
Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's a stock thermostat I see nothing wrong with those temps. If it constantly creeps to 210 or higher, then some additional measures like a fan shroud or 180* thermostat would be the next suggestions.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

hackster is intercooler lower than front bumper?

what temps is fan coming on and off at?
Old 07-18-2014, 02:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BudRacing
If it's a stock thermostat I see nothing wrong with those temps. If it constantly creeps to 210 or higher, then some additional measures like a fan shroud or 180* thermostat would be the next suggestions.
This is my exact plan. I sat in rush hour traffic yesterday after work for 45 minutes in 85 degree weather and high humidity and it was running right at 200. If I start to see it constantly higher than that, Ill put a shroud on it.

hackster is intercooler lower than front bumper?

what temps is fan coming on and off at?
Yep, intercooler hangs down a little bit below the front bumper for a little better airflow. Its not low to the ground by any means though, I am not afraid I am going to hit it on anything.

So wheels showed up yesterday and they are beautiful. I have had some nice wheels in my day, but these are far nicer. Attention to detail like hidden valve stems on the backside of the wheels tucked behind a spoke and full paint and polish on the backside of the wheels mounting surface is just amazing.

Got everything in the truck and headed to Americas tire where my tires await.

All wheels fit up just fine so that was a good thing, brake clearance was good all the way around and offset on the fronts was perfect. Rears could be pushed in quite a bit more....more on that later.

First problem we ran into was the rear tires. 315/35/20 michelin next to a 315 sumitomo...

Name:  0717141427_zpsg4y6yojf.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  2.55 MB

They were a full inch wider than the sumitomo's and we knew it would not fit.

I had ordered in a full set of 295/35/20 just in case as well. They were the same width as the 315 sumitomos and look awesome on the wheels, nice and square.

Name:  0717141519_zpsi1wqqyyj.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  2.51 MB

Tyson doing a great job of mounting the tires....new jaws on the wheel machine. We spent almost four hours messing around with this yesterday.

Name:  0717141458_zpsuezd6yxs.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  3.12 MB

So, the problem I ran into was that the rear wheels did not fit....by a long shot. I thought I would have more room than I did.

Drove home on two new fronts and two old rears and was pretty irritated at that point.

Talked to the Chris the painter and told him I was either going to roll the lips or cut them......

So I took a ginder with the flapper wheel to the lips of the rear fenders....brand new paint yep and hitting it with a grinder..

Luckily I am pretty skilled with a grinder and did not mess up any of the paint anywhere. so it will just be a little touch up on the backside of the lip and be good to go.

Name:  0717142008a_zpsfm0ifhrf.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  2.94 MB

Name:  0717142002_zpsyvctybva.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  3.81 MB

Fronts barely clear, I really need to figure out how to move that front end back a little bit cause the wheel is to the front of the wheel well not centered but nothing I can do about it right now.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

Wheels and tires looks killer!

new steering wheel in order, too? Maybe I'm not seeing it properly.

I did 17 and 18" and think I should have done 18 & 20 like you.
Attached Thumbnails Hacksters 68 F100 LQ4/S475/4l80E-dsc_0838.jpg  
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Man that is one nice build
Old 07-18-2014, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DW SD
Wheels and tires looks killer!

new steering wheel in order, too? Maybe I'm not seeing it properly.

I did 17 and 18" and think I should have done 18 & 20 like you.
That is kind of the problem, 17's and 18's kind of look small on our bigger trucks.

I did 20's all around. Think I would do 19's and 20's next time.

Steering wheel is staying, its a super simple wheel, brushed center with black wrap. Might have Jason do a matching steering wheel for the wheels when I do all the interior work next winter. Would be rediculous looking to match the wheels.

Originally Posted by boostedc20
Man that is one nice build
Thank you
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Been a busy few days around here. Dropped the truck off at the painters on Friday morning for him to touch up a few spots of paint, color sand and buff the front fenders and the hood and a few other nick nacky areas on the truck.

While it was out there I spent a few hours roaming around the wrecking yard trying to find some small stuff and a good flasher switch and bezel to go on the dash.

Picked up the truck this morning from Aaron's place and him and Chris did another great job on the truck. It looks awesome.

Got it home and off the trailer, my LS swapped 240 was in the driveway and I thought it was pretty cool so I snapped a quick photo...

Name:  0720141308_zps6v4dyylm.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  4.46 MB

Also been toying around with running one single emblem on the truck, just a little indicator that its not a 390 in it anymore.

So I came up with this. Its all color matched to the body and looks pretty unsuspecting.

Name:  0720141415_zpsrxnhhamt.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  0720141414_zpst58hhloj.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  3.09 MB

I think its pretty discreet, but not 100% sold on it. If I like it Ill go ahead and order something up that is the proper logo.

This is an LS badge from a later model cavalier and an X from a newer ford explorer.

I was getting the knock p code still so I order a couple of sensors and the replacement harness for sensors out of the valley cover. I pulled the intake this afternoon replaced both of the knock sensors and cleaned out the holes and threads.

I noticed while in there that I have some excessive oil on the backside of the valves while the engine is not running. Not too sure what is causing that, probably need to come up with some kind of evac system is my guess...

Fitted up the vacuum lines from the intake to the fuel pressure regulator and the wastegate.

I was going to swap out injectors and MAP sensor but it would be a total pain to load it up in the morning and get it on the trailer to go to the tuner.

I am super nervous about the tuning/dyno tomorrow.

Hope I post up that all went well and its on the road for good.

Sean

Quick Reply: Hacksters 68 F100 LQ4/S475/4l80E