Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Check your pm from me.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Which 80 lb injectors did you use?
I put in Siemens DEKA 80 lb injectors.

AKNOVAMAN. Thanks for the info. I shot him a PM. Ill let you know if I hear back.

Sean
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Launching!

It's been a great week of hanging out with my little niece and nephew and my wife with a little work thrown in here and there.

Much needed relief from the last few months of working on the truck.

However, I have found it incredibly unsettling that this thing is done for the most part but not on the road.

I have a few very helpful guys on here looking into it and we might have a solution here shortly.

Taking the Volvo and heading down to the OPTIMA Ultimate streetcar shootout after a couple morning meetings at work today.

I am already thinking that this ford is not quite low enough. Seriously contemplating building a tube frame for it and get it down a little lower with some serious suspension on it.....maybe next years project?

Sean
Old 08-04-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hackster
I put in Siemens DEKA 80 lb injectors.

AKNOVAMAN. Thanks for the info. I shot him a PM. Ill let you know if I hear back.

Sean
What injector data did you use? There's a lot different information on those injectors floating around, and most of it is incorrect.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
What injector data did you use? There's a lot different information on those injectors floating around, and most of it is incorrect.
No idea to be honest...they would not let me view or take part in any of the tuning activities.

I think I am on a better path now with AKNOVAMAN and RonSS from Portland.

Getting a new ecu with a 2003 silverado 6.0 and 4l80E tune on it.

Ron has the proper Siemens Deka 80 injector info.

I think I just have a bit of a mess going on currently inside the ECU.

On that note, truck is just sitting there for now. Its really not drive able at this point as the low range throttle responce makes for a very jerky driving truck at low speeds and I cannot just haul *** around town everywhere. Then there is the fact that it dies at idle at lights and I have no idea if it will restart.

Should be seeing the ECU from Anthony later this week and hope to maybe make some headway on tuning this thing and getting it on the road.

Those two have been a huge help......I am halfway tempted to buy HP Tuners just so I can learn this **** on my own.

Sean
Old 08-04-2014, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you switching from drive by cable to drive by wire?
Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by prostreet1967
Are you switching from drive by cable to drive by wire?
I was already drive by wire....I would totally do drive by cable if it was an option.

Sean
Old 08-04-2014, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

I was already drive by wire....I would totally do drive by cable if it was an option.

Sean
It is. 2005/6 Express vans came with a 6.0/4L80 and DBC.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:20 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

I'll toss in a little bit here.
The injector data will come from the Greg Bannish CD.
AKANovaMan sent me a file for DBW. He has also loaded this into a pcm.
DBC would require a different harness and a lot of changes.....

Sean, I am a believer in owners of these types of cars, turbo especially, needing HPT in order to log and keep track of things.

And learn how to tune. It's fun. And there is always something to work on for the driveability stuff. It's the hardest part of the tuning. With your megasquirt experience, you would pick it up quick I'm sure.

Ron

Last edited by RonSSNova; 08-05-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:38 AM

Hey hackster is that a 5/7 drop on your truck? I have a 74 f100 shortbed that I just so happen to be painting white and doing a crown vic swap with a turbo lq4. I love the turbo placement and how you truck turned out btw. Looks badass!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTF100
Hey hackster is that a 5/7 drop on your truck? I have a 74 f100 shortbed that I just so happen to be painting white and doing a crown vic swap with a turbo lq4. I love the turbo placement and how you truck turned out btw. Looks badass!
Sounds like a fun project....pretty similar to what I just finished. I dont know how I would measure the drop since I never had the truck put together stock and its so far from stock now. It is stock rear springs with an axle flip so its now spring under in the rear. Frontend is a crown vic setup with Mike Naake Coilover setup for the marauder. Its a QA1 coilover with a 450lb coil spring. I have a ton of adjustability on height in the front. Where it is sitting right now is about the top of the ride height in the front.

The turbo pretty much had to go there without hacking out the stock inner fenders. Its pretty massive though, smaller turbo will be much easier to fit in the engine bay.

Thanks for the props...

Ron and Aknovaman have been great help. Computer should be here all loaded up with a 2003 silverado tune and 4l80E tranny from Anthony today or tomorrow. Ron is working on a tune for it already with my proper injector and MAP sensor data in there.

I have not done anything with the truck since I got back from goodguys. We took it to lunch last weekend but that was it and it died on the way home. My wife even commented on how poorly it ran

I need to get a stand alone wideband installed in the truck in the next couple days for us to go out and do some tuning. I have an AEM at home so Ill probably just get that in there for now and switch back to the PLX stuff after we get most of the tuning done.

Cannot thank those guys enough for all their help.

Hopefully we can make some boost soon

Sean
Old 08-07-2014, 09:35 PM

Sounds like a fun project....pretty similar to what I just finished. I dont know how I would measure the drop since I never had the truck put together stock and its so far from stock now. It is stock rear springs with an axle flip so its now spring under in the rear. Frontend is a crown vic setup with Mike Naake Coilover setup for the marauder. Its a QA1 coilover with a 450lb coil spring. I have a ton of adjustability on height in the front. Where it is sitting right now is about the top of the ride height in the front.

The turbo pretty much had to go there without hacking out the stock inner fenders. Its pretty massive though, smaller turbo will be much easier to fit in the engine bay.

Thanks for the props...

Ron and Aknovaman have been great help. Computer should be here all loaded up with a 2003 silverado tune and 4l80E tranny from Anthony today or tomorrow. Ron is working on a tune for it already with my proper injector and MAP sensor data in there.

I have not done anything with the truck since I got back from goodguys. We took it to lunch last weekend but that was it and it died on the way home. My wife even commented on how poorly it ran

I need to get a stand alone wideband installed in the truck in the next couple days for us to go out and do some tuning. I have an AEM at home so Ill probably just get that in there for now and switch back to the PLX stuff after we get most of the tuning done.

Cannot thank those guys enough for all their help.

Hopefully we can make some boost soon

Sean
What size turbo is that?
Can u take a pic of the trailing arm mounts for the lower control arms?
Im sure we would all love to see some video of your truck running when u get a chance
Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Curious, what radiator did you use and is it a 2 row, 3 or 4? What are the tube sizes? Looks like it is custom fit to the truck?

I have an old brass / copper one that cools well, but is leaking (pin holes) at the upper tank. It has been patched together with solder and I'm going to install an aluminum one.

Yours looks pretty nice. Are you happy with it?

thanks,

Doug
Old 08-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GTF100
What size turbo is that?
Can u take a pic of the trailing arm mounts for the lower control arms?
Im sure we would all love to see some video of your truck running when u get a chance
t6 frame s480. There are pics of the control arm mounts somewhere in this build thread. I don't really have time in this hot weather to crawl under there and snap some photos.

Originally Posted by DW SD
Curious, what radiator did you use and is it a 2 row, 3 or 4? What are the tube sizes? Looks like it is custom fit to the truck?

I have an old brass / copper one that cools well, but is leaking (pin holes) at the upper tank. It has been patched together with solder and I'm going to install an aluminum one.

Yours looks pretty nice. Are you happy with it?

thanks,

Doug
Radiator is off craigslist.....its for a 68 Camaro and I believe it is a three core aluminum. What tube sizes are you reffering to?

truck stays fine when moving, needs a fan shroud in traffic. Has a 190 thermostat in it and it gets up to 205 sitting in traffic on 90+ degree weather. I am not afraid of it getting too hot though.

I would go a little bit wider if I had it to do over again.

Ron was awesome. He got the computer from Anthony and we worked on this damn thing all day yesterday, out in the garage in 97 degree weather. It was not very pleasant to be honest.

Thanks to you both for all the help.

We worked on it from 9 to 5 or so and found out that I have some issues. My fuel Pressure is waaaay too high. It was 90 lbs at the fuel rail with both pumps running. I pulled the fuse on one pump and the pressure came right down to 58 where it should be. So we tried running on one pump from there on out but my fuel system is just messed up. I need to either relocate my pumps or just get different setup all together.

My pump's are cavitating really badly, pressure is bouncing up and down and we cannot get a consistant afr at all. It fluctuates with the pitch of the pump.

Also O2 sensors were reading fine for a while but towards the end of the day the truck would not go into closed loop at all. We are wondering if they got sut on them as it was running super rich...like a 10.8 or so.

Ron is confident that we will get it and I am confident in his abilities, his corvette is pretty bad *** too.

Truck is going to chill for a while until I have time to evaluate the fuel system some more..... Really thinking about the Aeromotive Phantom fuel system and just get a new tank and start over..

Thoughts?

Sean
Old 08-11-2014, 04:36 PM
Launching!

Forgot to say huge thanks to Aknovaman for the ECU, setting it up for the speed density tune, and the 6.0 4l80. I really appreciate it his help!!

Sean
Old 08-11-2014, 05:03 PM
TECH Regular

I put this setup on my truck and it works great:

http://www.fueltankparts.com/67-72-e...-bed-fill.html

That will build it to your specs.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 PM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Chill? Wasn't it near 100 today?

Ron
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Chill? Wasn't it near 100 today?

Ron
It was 102 when I left work yesterday in Beaverton... Truck was just baking in the garage last night. How did the drive to the dessert? I bet it was hotter there than it was here...

Spent the night rebuilding a carb for a barstool go kart and tinkering on it a little bit. Was fun to scoot around on it for a little bit around the neighborhood after I got it running. Stupid thing is too damn fast with a 10 hp chipper motor on it.

Ill get a picture up tonight it was running well..

Sean
Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

I was looking at your fuel pumps thinking about the pressure problems. Are those Walbro? Or 044 Bosch? What are you using as a pressure regulator? Is it boost indexed?

I use a Bosch external pump from a V-8 Mercedes OEM application coupled with corvette regulator / filter. Don't have as much power as you, but it works great, including in my '92 500E sedan . My L92 engine is about 405 horse for my '51 truck.
The external 044 pumps work great in the Porsche 911 applications up through 1998 at least, including their 450 horse turbo. I know many folks use them on high HP Porsche turbo builds, too.

I'm just wondering if it might be a regulator issue?

Doug
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

In a 911 hot rod project, I used similar pre-filters and after taking a close look at them realized they just had a screen covering the cross section of the filter (instead of a folded up element with much more surface area). When the filters would plug up, the pitch of the pump would change and they would cavitate.
I wonder if that might be the issue? I eventually installed a large canister filter made by Petersen. It was the size of a coke can wit a huge folded element inside running longitudinally. The surface area might have been 10" x 6". It was $125 or so.

My issue was I installed a new fuel cell and the foam bits were coming off after the initial install and plugging up the filter.

I wonder if those filters might be part of the issue?

Doug

Quick Reply: Hacksters 68 F100 LQ4/S475/4l80E