Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Kid
Can anyone who has used these parts and installed the T56 show a picture of where the shifter stub comes out in relation to the original hole? I'm trying to get a feel for how much will need to be trimmed and how/if my original console will still fit.

Thanks, Tim
Sorry, this question is for a 67 Camaro. Thanks, Tim
Old 06-30-2014, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have a pic of how low the oil pan does hang?
Anyone install this kit and completed the swap to see any issues?
Anyone using the mid length headers?
Anyone using the truck accessories?
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Anyone have a pic of how low the oil pan does hang?
Anyone install this kit and completed the swap to see any issues?
Anyone using the mid length headers?
Anyone using the truck accessories?
Send a PM to Cwylie and dubsilverado on this site and they should be able to give you all the fitment info/photos you need.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Hooker Long Tubes, Holley Motor Mounts, Holley t56 Crossmember, and MAST Motorsports oil pan. I needed to use the Mast pan because the sump gave me about 1/2" more clearance for tie rods which sit far back on my car because of the ride tech TruTurn steering setup.

I would assume that the holley pan sits similar to this as far as ground clearance. The headers tuck very very nicely. They are flush or slightly higher than all of the crossmembners on the car. This is a nice complete setup. Here are some pictures of my mock up.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
I used the Hooker Long Tubes, Holley Motor Mounts, Holley t56 Crossmember, and MAST Motorsports oil pan. I needed to use the Mast pan because the sump gave me about 1/2" more clearance for tie rods which sit far back on my car because of the ride tech TruTurn steering setup.

I would assume that the holley pan sits similar to this as far as ground clearance. The headers tuck very very nicely. They are flush or slightly higher than all of the crossmembners on the car. This is a nice complete setup. Here are some pictures of my mock up.

Thanks dub...I knew you'd have some photos to share.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dub, how far is the passenger side head from the firewall?
Got any driver side header install pics?
Any idea if any stock manis will work with this kit?
Fbody manis do fit with 1" setback plates and even more if moved forward. May have more room even if the engine is lowered also.
Ill buy the plates, mounts, oil pan kit and see if the manis fit as my ultimate goal is turbo.
Don't really wanna spend a big amount on headers if I'm going another route in the future.
Or maybe buy the cheapest mid lengths for now.

Last edited by LS1 pwrd NOVA; 07-01-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dub, how far is the passenger side head from the firewall?
Got any driver side header install pics?
Any idea if any stock manis will work with this kit?
Fbody manis do fit with 1" setback plates and even more if moved forward. May have more room even if the engine is lowered also.
Ill buy the plates, mounts, oil pan kit and see if the manis fit as my ultimate goal is turbo.
Don't really wanna spend a big amount on headers if I'm going another route in the future.
Or maybe buy the cheapest mid lengths for now.
Passenger side head is 1 5/8" From the firewall. I don't know about using stock manifolds. I assume they would work but couldn't say for sure.

Here are the driver side pics.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you get a good shot of the gap between the pass head and firewall? I'd like to see it if possible.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Can you get a good shot of the gap between the pass head and firewall? I'd like to see it if possible.
Same setup as his

Old 07-09-2014, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got my hooker swap kit in today. This is what I ordered first or for now.....
302-2 oil pan
Oil pan gasket
Oil tube & dip stick
Hooker plates
Ill get the 2292 stock clamshells from auto parts store & leave em as they are, for now.
I don't know which tranny I'm going to use just yet. I have a t56 & 4l65e.
Exhaust wise, I'm gona try stock manis first & see if anything fits. Reason why is I want to go turbo in the future but if not ill buy the mid lengths.
Ill update when I start pulling everything out & ill take pics.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put the engine in with the t56.
Stock Fbody manis fit. Driver side is close to the steering box but it does fit.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info-image.jpg  
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Todd, is the 4l80e crossmember for the 1st gen camaro still in the works?
Old 09-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Teching In

i'd also like to know about the 4l80e crossmember. It's the last thing I need to start the conversion.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steery
i'd also like to know about the 4l80e crossmember. It's the last thing I need to start the conversion.
The report on the 4L80 crossmember for those who've been waiting is that I now have the project back in my control after receiving the approval from management to proceed with the project. From the amount of cantilever in the design of the crossmember and results of the FEA analysis, we have determined the need to create reinforcement plates for subframe at the area of crossmember attachment. I'll be doing just that shortly and be moving forward.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Todd, Have you tried the hooker exhaust manifolds with the mounting kit on 3rd gen novas? For those of us that dont need headers in our swap it would be a nice option to have.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by mantycarguy
Todd, Have you tried the hooker exhaust manifolds with the mounting kit on 3rd gen novas? For those of us that dont need headers in our swap it would be a nice option to have.
Yes I have and they won't fit due to interference with the steering box on the driver side. We do also offer mid-length headers for that application with 1-3/4" or 1-7/8" primaries, so that's an option for you.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
The report on the 4L80 crossmember for those who've been waiting is that I now have the project back in my control after receiving the approval from management to proceed with the project. From the amount of cantilever in the design of the crossmember and results of the FEA analysis, we have determined the need to create reinforcement plates for subframe at the area of crossmember attachment. I'll be doing just that shortly and be moving forward.
Hello Toddoky, I too am in the process of getting ready to make a crossmember for my 1971 Nova with 4L80E trans? I am getting rid of e-foot brake, going with hand brake. So I was planning going straight across towards the end of my subframe to connect mount too. What are your plans for your trans mount and where do you plan to reinforce the subframe for your trans mount and why? Just waiting to see what you had planned cause I'm ready for one so I can move on to the exhaust. Keep up the good work and by the way I have your engine mounts and headers, minus the trans mount. Also thanks for the tip to modify header to clear tru-turn set up, will be doing that mod too. Thanks
Old 10-08-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kiquee
Hello Toddoky, I too am in the process of getting ready to make a crossmember for my 1971 Nova with 4L80E trans? I am getting rid of e-foot brake, going with hand brake. So I was planning going straight across towards the end of my subframe to connect mount too. What are your plans for your trans mount and where do you plan to reinforce the subframe for your trans mount and why? Just waiting to see what you had planned cause I'm ready for one so I can move on to the exhaust. Keep up the good work and by the way I have your engine mounts and headers, minus the trans mount. Also thanks for the tip to modify header to clear tru-turn set up, will be doing that mod too. Thanks
I'd be glad to answer your question and give you some insight into the design of the upcoming Hooker 4L80E crossmember for this application. It was mandatory in the design of the crossmember that it be strong, stiff, relatively light weight (under 20 lbs.) and provide routing clearance for connecting the Hooker LS swap headers to the 2.5" and 3" Hooker stainless exhaust systems that have also been developed for the 1st-gen F-body and 3rd/gen X-body cars. Hitting that last characteristic is where the involved engineering came into play in the design as the outstanding ground clearance that is available with the Hooker exhaust systems is only made possible by the design of our transmission crossmembers being able to reside in the pockets of the floor of the cars adjacent to and above the stock crossmember attachment holes in the subframes of these cars. You have to lower the crossmember (i.e. give up ground clearance) If you move the crossmember fore or aft of the pocket. If you are not going to take advantage of the better ground clearance the Hooker exhaust sytem provides and are willing to give that up to ease your crossmember design/install requirement, then you can surely design a non-cantilevered crossmember to attach to the subframe directly inline with the mount on the 4L80E. We were not willing to give up the ground clearance and instead choose to fully invest in the required amount of CAD modeling and FEA analysis to achieve all our design goals. I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but the static load imposed on a crossmember at the mount of a 4L80E is just over 200 lbs...we subject all of our crossmembers to an 8G load during the course of an FEA to be sure you can beat the hell out of them (i.e. wheelstands) without them coming apart on you while at the same time providing elevated stiffness to keep the back of your transmission bouncing up and down more than an inch during hard acceleration/shifts (yes, some aftermarket crossmembers do just that). The extra brackets that we've added to the crossmember to reinforce the subframe will bolt to the inside faces of the subrame and the bottom of the crossmember. I hope this explanation helps you.

Todd
Old 10-08-2014, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'd be glad to answer your question and give you some insight into the design of the upcoming Hooker 4L80E crossmember for this application. It was mandatory in the design of the crossmember that it be strong, stiff, relatively light weight (under 20 lbs.) and provide routing clearance for connecting the Hooker LS swap headers to the 2.5" and 3" Hooker stainless exhaust systems that have also been developed for the 1st-gen F-body and 3rd/gen X-body cars. Hitting that last characteristic is where the involved engineering came into play in the design as the outstanding ground clearance that is available with the Hooker exhaust systems is only made possible by the design of our transmission crossmembers being able to reside in the pockets of the floor of the cars adjacent to and above the stock crossmember attachment holes in the subframes of these cars. You have to lower the crossmember (i.e. give up ground clearance) If you move the crossmember fore or aft of the pocket. If you are not going to take advantage of the better ground clearance the Hooker exhaust sytem provides and are willing to give that up to ease your crossmember design/install requirement, then you can surely design a non-cantilevered crossmember to attach to the subframe directly inline with the mount on the 4L80E. We were not willing to give up the ground clearance and instead choose to fully invest in the required amount of CAD modeling and FEA analysis to achieve all our design goals. I don't know if you are aware of it or not, but the static load imposed on a crossmember at the mount of a 4L80E is just over 200 lbs...we subject all of our crossmembers to an 8G load during the course of an FEA to be sure you can beat the hell out of them (i.e. wheelstands) without them coming apart on you while at the same time providing elevated stiffness to keep the back of your transmission bouncing up and down more than an inch during hard acceleration/shifts (yes, some aftermarket crossmembers do just that). The extra brackets that we've added to the crossmember to reinforce the subframe will bolt to the inside faces of the subrame and the bottom of the crossmember. I hope this explanation helps you.

Todd
I understand what you mean Todd and will be looking into maintaining that exhaust clearance. I also have to deal with the rear suspension which is a torque arm suspension, so that also will be something I need to look at when running the exhaust. One question, when setting the drivetrain angle to 3 deg down does the subframe need to be level in order to achieve my 3 deg before I tackle the trans mount? Thanks again Todd
Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kiquee
I understand what you mean Todd and will be looking into maintaining that exhaust clearance. I also have to deal with the rear suspension which is a torque arm suspension, so that also will be something I need to look at when running the exhaust. One question, when setting the drivetrain angle to 3 deg down does the subframe need to be level in order to achieve my 3 deg before I tackle the trans mount? Thanks again Todd
Don't be overly concerned with the position of your subframe when taking your engine inclination reading as it is only a baseline point of reference to get you started. Your engine would function at 20 degrees down angle so you should understand the main point of your focus should merely be to optimize your U-joint working angles, which need to be at least 1/2 a degree, less than 3 degrees each (the closer you can get to 1/2 a degree the better) and the same to one another within 1/2 a degree also unless you're setting up a leaf spring car for racing. Leaf spring cars set up for racing typically run a few extra degrees of pinion down angle to compensate for spring wrap under acceleration.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1st-gen/Nova swap parts info