Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

65 Impala SS L92/4L80E Conversion...Update...It Runs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyg
So did psi give u a base tune and that's what your running with? I was going to go with that same exact route but since I installed cam, ls3 intake they said I would have to get it Dyno tuned and I couldn't find anyone in my area who would do it . So I'm going with mast ecm, harness since they sell a ly6 with my cam and have the tune spot on its just twice the $! But at least it's plug and go no Dyno tune needed
Nope. I had my car tuned by a local guy here. Once I complete a few more mods, I'll bring it in again.

-Nick
Old 10-28-2014, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 66 belair

Hi, first and foremost that is a very nice car, second and the reason I'm here is, how did u manage to get 12 volts out of the ignition switch? I have looked at mine over and over and as soon as the key is turn to run it drops voltage. Thanks and again you have a nice ride
Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gwon1to
Hi, first and foremost that is a very nice car, second and the reason I'm here is, how did u manage to get 12 volts out of the ignition switch? I have looked at mine over and over and as soon as the key is turn to run it drops voltage. Thanks and again you have a nice ride
Unless something is messed up with your ignition wiring, you should be able to get 12 volts when switched to run. Have you verified your switch is wired correctly?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Yes, we'll sort of, I did the wiring myself and prob eliminated some grounds thinking it was unnecessary like the ones under the engine and the ones behind the heads, I bundled the grounds and placed them in one wire and bolted it to the front of the head the others like the one close to the maf and the one close to the temp sensor are intact. I feel like a dum---, for removing them.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Teching In

The ignition is still the original for the car, I know something very simple could be the culprit but I can't figure it out, do you think it could be the computer, I installed the code reader and it says it can not communicate with the tcm or the fuel pump module, I had the vats removed but don't know if it was done right, what do you think?
Old 10-30-2014, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by gwon1to
The ignition is still the original for the car, I know something very simple could be the culprit but I can't figure it out, do you think it could be the computer, I installed the code reader and it says it can not communicate with the tcm or the fuel pump module, I had the vats removed but don't know if it was done right, what do you think?

If you have a stock ignition switch.......In the start position it would feed the full voltage thru the starter to the Distributor........then in the run position it would feed the resistor wire So......the power feed on a stock switch will only feed power in one position.......I changed to a aftermarket switch that powers in both positions.....

Ken
Old 10-30-2014, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice build man! You'll enjoy the power of these l92 motors for sure.

Quick question, you said you installed a 07 truck pedal and it works good? Have you driven the car yet at all? I have a 08 l92 / 4l80e stock TB and a late model Corvette gas pedal and ran fine for a few hundred miles til recently. Now I have no idea what it could be. Do you know what your operating system is for the tune?
Old 10-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Nice build man! You'll enjoy the power of these l92 motors for sure.

Quick question, you said you installed a 07 truck pedal and it works good? Have you driven the car yet at all? I have a 08 l92 / 4l80e stock TB and a late model Corvette gas pedal and ran fine for a few hundred miles til recently. Now I have no idea what it could be. Do you know what your operating system is for the tune?

Yep, I've driven mine a ton. Still working perfectly! And yes, the 07 Denali pedal fit perfectly and is still working great. I kinda forget what OS we used on the base tune, but I believe we ended up with a tune from a Camaro, then enabled vvt, and modified it from there.

Hope that helps!
-Nick
Old 10-30-2014, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicke
Yep, I've driven mine a ton. Still working perfectly! And yes, the 07 Denali pedal fit perfectly and is still working great. I kinda forget what OS we used on the base tune, but I believe we ended up with a tune from a Camaro, then enabled vvt, and modified it from there.

Hope that helps!
-Nick
Gotcha. Yea I guess mine is a tune for a truck pedal and wires for a vette pedal. Not sure if the connectors are the same or not. Or I'd just try it and see.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kwhizz
If you have a stock ignition switch.......In the start position it would feed the full voltage thru the starter to the Distributor........then in the run position it would feed the resistor wire So......the power feed on a stock switch will only feed power in one position.......I changed to a aftermarket switch that powers in both positions.....

Ken
What switch would that be? Will it fit in th dash of my 66 bel air? I'll post pics of my project as soon as I get this photo bucket thing
Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JDub66
Mine fit, it's really close to the steering box but they fit. What did you run into that didn't work? Or are you concerned how close they sat to the steering box?
I went with tbss manifolds they fit really nice and have the exits far back.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Teching In

Sorry tried to add them to my last post
Old 10-31-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Here you go............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Universal-Ignition-Switch-Two-Keys-Included-/381017025426?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b6626b92&vxp=mtr
Old 11-03-2014, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey nicke could you post a picture of the front air bag setup? I am doing like you and piecing my own kit together rather than buy the whole setup at once.

Specifically I'm looking for a picture of your front bag cups, and the way you relocated your shocks
Old 11-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
Hey nicke could you post a picture of the front air bag setup? I am doing like you and piecing my own kit together rather than buy the whole setup at once.

Specifically I'm looking for a picture of your front bag cups, and the way you relocated your shocks
Sure, I'll post some pics for you. I haven't installed the front yet, but I'll show you the parts and what I plan to do.
-Nick
Old 11-10-2014, 04:49 PM

Default belt drive

Hi Nick I have gotten allot of information from your self and super dave and kwhizz to start on my 69 caprice have been collecting parts and will be starting the first of the year. I do have one question for you. did you use the truck belt drive and did you have to change any thing or all was good? would like to know before buying some else. thank for any help
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Green eye
Hi Nick I have gotten allot of information from your self and super dave and kwhizz to start on my 69 caprice have been collecting parts and will be starting the first of the year. I do have one question for you. did you use the truck belt drive and did you have to change any thing or all was good? would like to know before buying some else. thank for any help
Yup, I used all the truck accessories and belt drive. I didn't have to change a thing!

-Nick
Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 AM

Thanks when I start my build I will start a thread and I hope I can post as good as your self and kwhiz and superdave
Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Teching In

What did you end up doing for the trans lines and fittings?
Old 11-23-2014, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ferrets bueller
What did you end up doing for the trans lines and fittings?
I used some stock hard lines, and got adapters from a local hardware store to make them work. After spending a ton re-plumbing the fuel system, I went the budget route on the tranny lines, and used stuff I already had.

-Nick

Quick Reply: 65 Impala SS L92/4L80E Conversion...Update...It Runs!