Sponsored by:

Couple Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:34 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Couple Wiring Questions

I have a couple questions on the wire harness I’m making. It is a 2004 DBW 5.3 flex fuel engine and will be mating it to a 4l60e for a chevelle.

1.It is DBW, there was a grey wire that came from the TAC module connector that goes to the c1 fuse block. I assume I just need to put that to a fused 12 volt source to power the module?

2. There was two connectors not plugged in to anything that come off the branch that has the transmission connectors. Lt1swaps says it is a “trans range sensor” However on my 4l60e tranny I see no spot for this connector. Is this for a 4x4 transfer case? I completely removed it then saw later on where he recommended keeping one wire from the bigger connector then keeping the entire small connector, am I screwed for removing both of them? Do I need them for a car 2x4 tranny?

3. The wires coming from the Green PCM Terminal #50 is a purple wire that goes to the Fuel Level Sensor. Is that just so the pcm knows how much fuel the tank has? It said to remove it but I kept it thinking I would use it drive whatever fuel gauge I use, however on second thought I think I would just get a signal directly from the fuel tank sender.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

1 Sounds like a cruise control wire, power for TAC is pink.

2 Just put them back in?

3 Don't need that wire, you won't be able to get the signal out of the PCM since its sent on a serial data wire.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:24 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Do i need that grey wire then that runs to the TAC plugin? i will research and see if i can figure out what it was for.

Also is the trans range connectors even needed? I don't even know where they would plug into, as the dont go to engine or transmission. I think i'm okay by removing them but want to make sure.

couple more questions i had as i was working on it. I am not going to run a maf as motor will be forced induction, but i need an IAT. I have the wire left for the IAT sensor, but do i also need to supply the connector with 5 volts or 12 volts? Where would i get this power supply from, same place that powered the maf??? which wire powers the maf signals?

Is there an output from the pcm for oil pressure or water temp to run to gauges?

thanks for your help!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by gpr
Do i need that grey wire then that runs to the TAC plugin? i will research and see if i can figure out what it was for.

If it's in the #14 position of the TAC connector, then no. Do you also have light blue and dark blue wires going to the same connector? Those are the cruise control wires.

Also is the trans range connectors even needed? I don't even know where they would plug into, as the dont go to engine or transmission. I think i'm okay by removing them but want to make sure.

The range sensor is bolted to the side of the transmission on the shift linkage shaft. Some people remove them all together, but I usually keep them since you can have issues with it removed. It lets the PCM know what gear the trans is in, and is needed if you were to need to do a crank relearn, but that can be programmed out. You can also program it like an F body where you only need one wire that is grounded in park and neutral, this may be easier for you.

couple more questions i had as i was working on it. I am not going to run a maf as motor will be forced induction, but i need an IAT. I have the wire left for the IAT sensor, but do i also need to supply the connector with 5 volts or 12 volts? Where would i get this power supply from, same place that powered the maf??? which wire powers the maf signals?

For the IAT sensor, you only need the two wires that go to it. They are Tan wire on C2 pin 25 and Tan (or Black) on C2 pin 57

Is there an output from the pcm for oil pressure or water temp to run to gauges?

No, you would run them straight from the senders for what ever gauges you are running.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:03 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

ls1nova71, thank you again for all the help i really do appreciate it.

I have pretty much everything figured out except for this extra TAC wire, and the range select wiring.

I traced out that extra wire, then all the loose wires coming from the TAC connector, here is what i have:
Pink TAC #7 - came from C2 fuse block. (12volts key one power supply)
Grey TAC #14 - came from C100-L Cruise On (button to turn cruise control on)
Dark Blue TAC #4 - came from C100-A Cruise Set (set speed of cruise control)
Grey/Blk Strip TAC #5 - came from C100-S Cruise Resume/Accell

Is all the above correct?

Then one wire came from the C100 connector in J pin labeled Engine On Signal (SBA), do i need this and what does it do? the wire goes into the main body of the wire harness, i'm guessing to the Throttle body connector???

The mystery wire i have been talking about comes from TAC #6 it is light blue not grey, and went to the fuse block c2 connector. not sure what this wire is for?

Last but not least. the range select. Which wire is the only one needed to tell the computer whether it is in park/neutral or in gear. I think i will do like you said and only hook up this wire to make it easier, as i removed all the other range select wires and have no idea where they came from etc..
Old 03-11-2014, 08:20 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gpr
ls1nova71, thank you again for all the help i really do appreciate it.

I have pretty much everything figured out except for this extra TAC wire, and the range select wiring.

I traced out that extra wire, then all the loose wires coming from the TAC connector, here is what i have:
Pink TAC #7 - came from C2 fuse block. (12volts key one power supply)
Grey TAC #14 - came from C100-L Cruise On (button to turn cruise control on)
Dark Blue TAC #4 - came from C100-A Cruise Set (set speed of cruise control)
Grey/Blk Strip TAC #5 - came from C100-S Cruise Resume/Accell

Is all the above correct?

Then one wire came from the C100 connector in J pin labeled Engine On Signal (SBA), do i need this and what does it do? the wire goes into the main body of the wire harness, i'm guessing to the Throttle body connector???

The mystery wire i have been talking about comes from TAC #6 it is light blue not grey, and went to the fuse block c2 connector. not sure what this wire is for?

Last but not least. the range select. Which wire is the only one needed to tell the computer whether it is in park/neutral or in gear. I think i will do like you said and only hook up this wire to make it easier, as i removed all the other range select wires and have no idea where they came from etc..
Figured most of it out. The light blue wire from TAC connector is the stop lamp voltage used for cruise control. Also found that you need the wire wire going to C1 #34 to use as the park/neutral range select wire.

the last wire i can not figure out is a dark blue wire that came from the C100 connector in pin J. the diagrams i have found says it should be Engine On and should be black/white or tan/white which it isn't. I traced this wire into the harness and it goes to the alternator plugin. So what is the blue wire in the alternator plug in used for? Does the cruise control need this to tell the engine is running?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:07 AM
TECH Veteran

The dark blue wire on coming off the alternator plug is for the supplemental brake assist (SBA) pump, you can delete it. Also, on the single wire park/neutral signal, it will need to be programmmed for it to work that way since the trucks are programmed to use the sensor on the trans.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:59 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The dark blue wire on coming off the alternator plug is for the supplemental brake assist (SBA) pump, you can delete it. Also, on the single wire park/neutral signal, it will need to be programmmed for it to work that way since the trucks are programmed to use the sensor on the trans.
How or what do you change in the programming? Simply run a car OS on the pcm? Actually i will be running a custom OS with no maf also so i can go boost with three bar map. I do my own tuning with efilive

Quick Reply: Couple Wiring Questions