Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Bug Mid Engine (engine build pg15)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:58 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too hot over the weekend to work. I think it hit 108° in the garage. So more progress started Monday.

Name:  20150831_204533_zpsuzwzsujt.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  178.8 KB

Out with the floor.

Name:  20150831_204547_zps6yaczmmq.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  252.2 KB

Out with the headliner.

Name:  20150901_194010_zpsrfcexjso.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  208.6 KB

In with more cage support / steering column mount

Name:  20150901_200505_zpslj7a5vyy.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  210.5 KB

Test fitting new column and steering shaft. Need to cut it down a few inches.

I don't think it turned out half bad.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great build. Thanks for sharing.

Have you considered getting a collapsible steering column from the junkyard and using it? It's a safety item, particularly important if you're not going to wear a 5 point harness all the time.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

So the axle situation is resolved?

Are you on the tear it all apart and finish weld everything stage?

Are you almost done?

This thing is too awesome, and I want videos of it doing big stupid smokey burnouts. Something this cool needs to be driven, lots.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Joe G
What a great build. Thanks for sharing.

Have you considered getting a collapsible steering column from the junkyard and using it? It's a safety item, particularly important if you're not going to wear a 5 point harness all the time.
I did think about using a different column. I even thought about using the stock one. But the cage has caused me to use the design you see. The cross bar is right in the way. Good news is that I planned ahead on a collapsible system. I designed it so that if I get in an accident in the front, the steering column will fold in between the rack and firewall. I would have to smash the car really bad to have the steering shaft get shoved back. And yes, I will have the harnesses on at all times. No cheaping out on safety stuff for me.

David,

Axles are in process of being fixed. No final product yet. But they did fit.

Car is getting torn apart (finally) for its last stage before assembly. Bars to add, bars to weld, panels to be added and then to paint. After that, it all goes back together for its last time.

Then smokey burn-outs!
Old 09-04-2015, 12:33 PM
FormerVendor

Last night I put the insulation in for the headliner. I will have to say, it was horrible to do. Mostly because there is no room in the car and I had to put a very flimsy and sticky sheet on the roof. Anyways, it turned out decent. Lots of prep work before getting this stuck in. I swear the roof had glue from 35 years ago and it didn't want to come off. Not fun!

Name:  20150903_215410_zpsvnr23jl5.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  232.7 KB

Here is my one horrible picture to see the outcome
Old 09-04-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

I can absolutely imagine how that wouldn't be fun. But it's done, and is one of those things you should only have to do once.

You have a fully insulated firewall, correct? Should make for a quiet and comfortable interior. It's coming together nicely.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

It is done and I hope I never have to do another head liner again. Panels I don't mind doing but all that reaching over my head sucks. The whole interior of the car will be insulated. Doors, front fire wall, rear fire wall (already is), and the entire engine compartment. I want this thing to be comfortable when driving it. I have driven many Factory Five cars and they have no insulation. After that engine heats up, wait for the sweat to start dripping!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Not that this really has anything to do with your build, but I saw a plymouth prowler yesterday. I had brought up the prowler when you were joking about taking the fenders off. Anyways, the plymouth prowler is freaking huge. I hadn't ever seen one up close until yesterday, and had always thought they were smaller.

Something I absolutely just brain-fart-forgot is whether or not you have a/c in the beetle. I remember you saying you want to drive it and be comfortable, and I think I remember you saying you have a/c and a stereo, I'm just not sure. And frankly, I'm too lazy to go back through the 20 pages and find the answer myself.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

David -

Ya the Prowlers are pretty big. I did an engine rebuild on one a few years back. Not a fan of them. And they are only available as an auto....

No AC for me. If it is too hot out, I just wont drive it. It would add another 100 LBS at least and be a pain to plumb in. It is however going to have a heater. Stereo is still going back and forth in my head. And by stereo I mean 2 speakers, and amp, and a Ipod cable. No head unit. I just don't know where to put the speakers. They make kick panels with a 6" round cutout but I honestly think it will kill the leg room.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Couldn't you put a speaker in the doors? Is there no room? One 6x9 3way speaker should be adequate for that tiny car. Is there room under the seats?

As for the prowler, I really thought they were little roadster sized, and I used to want to put a 2jz in one. But I have no interest in them now that I know it's that big.

I'll pick up a super beetle convertible and make it front engine rwd, with a 2jz. Hmm...
Old 09-05-2015, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks really good so far.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put a bluetooth amp (and powered sub) in my truck, under the seat.
I like that I have no head unit and I connect wirelessly.

There is a whole line of amps designed this way and for sale on amazon. I did add a powered sub which is driven by lineouts from the primary amp. Given your weight goals you won't probably want that, still, it sounds really great and the whole setup with JBL separate speakers was less than $600.

You sound certain on the AC, I'd suggest to install AC on any street car. Does it really add that much weight? I'm quite sure 50 to 60 lbs is do-able. Perhaps you could find a setup from a hybrid? I believe some use 12V driven compressors.

I offer the strong suggestion of AC as ....I built a '71 911 hot rod with a 3.6L from a '95 car. I had it stripped down to 2180 lbs with 4 gallons of fuel with lots of fiberglass and minimalist interior. It had 275 rwhp and was a rocket that handled amazing (it was a wide-body with 255 / 285 and trick suspension). I didn't drive it for three or four months of the year just because of lack of AC - fine when you are moving but hot and in traffic it was a sweat-box. And I live a few blocks from the coast where our high temps are only 80-ish.

Just my $0.02. I know you know what you are doing. Just think it'd be 100 X more use-able and enjoyable with AC.

Or you could plumb it for a cool suit for your commutes to work

I look forward to seeing this one day!
Old 09-05-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 908 Posts

What about something like this for the tunes:

https://www.mtx.com/mud6spbt-univers...ther-sound-bar

Connects via bluetooth and has an output so you can add another amp for a sub.

You can make a bar for it, clamp it on, call it a day.

Andrew
Old 09-05-2015, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You live in SoCal and you choose not to install AC? Hmmm

Some of the newer evaporators are very compact, and I'm sure you could find something light weight and suitable to your needs.

I installed AC in my 914 Porsche/LS1 and can't be happier; it just makes driving a pleasure regardless of the outside temps.

Andy1
Old 09-05-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You live in SoCal and you choose not to install AC? Hmmm

Some of the newer evaporators are very compact, and I'm sure you could find something light weight and suitable to your needs.

I installed AC in my 914 Porsche/LS1 and can't be happier; it just makes driving a pleasure regardless of the outside temps.

Andy1
Old 09-08-2015, 01:39 PM
FormerVendor

Sadly, I don't think there will be room in the doors to put speakers. I am converting over to the 1 piece front windows and am not sure how much room I will have once the window is all the way down. I guess we will see when I install the windows. I do like the Bluetooth options. That would be a nice simple solution if I can mount some speakers (no bar mounted speakers).

As for AC, for now, I am not doing it. I like the idea of a 12V compressor and If they do make one, AC will go on the car. I really don't want to run 2 more hoses from the engine all the way up to the nose of the car. Yes I could run them next to my coolant tubes but that means drilling another 20 or so holes in the chassis to run tubes through. Yes I live in SoCal but its honestly not that bad. It gets into the 100s for like 3 weeks out of the year. I hardly use the AC in my DD how it is and I don't see it being any different with the Bug. If it is under 90°, the windows are down. Now if I was to make some summer time trips out the river in AZ, AC is a must. I went out there a few weeks ago and it hit 120°. I guess we will see if I can find a 12V compressor and make it work.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:04 PM
FormerVendor

Alright, well I found an electric AC system. Not too cheap. $1200 through Jegs. The good news is that I can always add it in later! This would allow me to put everything in the front of the car and have no lines going to the engine. Does not say how much the unit weighs though...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...33#moreDetails
Old 09-08-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Unless it's constructed out of bronze, it can't be that bad. And it's weight in the front, which should be ok.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:00 PM
FormerVendor

Speaking of all this AC stuff, this weeks is one of those weeks where AC is a must. It hit 107° yesterday and then started pouring. Today its 102° and just nasty humid out. What that equates to is less work on the Bug. I am still grinding all the glue off the inside panels. Such a pain. But I did start prepping the cage for install. This is only the beginning of the green! Way more to come.

Name:  20150909_213339_zpspgwdm9yl.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  225.0 KB
Old 09-11-2015, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

YES! The lime green is upon us. Can't wait to see more.

Quick Reply: 1970 Bug Mid Engine (engine build pg15)