Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 5.3 Nissan 300ZX DS Z32

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 5.3 Nissan 300ZX DS Z32

Well hello there. Ive lurked on here for a while and just got around to making an account. So I have a 1996 N/A Nissan 300zx. Tomorrow I am going to pick up a LM7 with 706 heads and ls6 intake. I'm pretty pumped. from what I understand these motors are fantastic for boosted applications and I plan to take advantage of that. this build is going to take some time but I hope to have the engine in the car by the end of the year. I will do my best to keep this thread updated. So I'm looking for input on a few things.

-Heads
-Cam
-turbo

I have been looking at turbo setups and really like the BW s480 but im not sure I can fit one under the hood of my car. also I will be opting for the LOJ Innovations swap kit to fit the motor in my car and mate it to my stock 5-speed. I plan on getting the engine in my car and running and then work on the turbo kit in another stage. Please feel free to reply with any wisdom tips or advice you have for this young man. I am open ears.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

try the forced induction forum. Should be many posts/threads w/ the info U want.....
Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Staging Lane

He i just thought i chime in. I had a 1990 Z32 that I did a LT1 and later a LS1 swap on, packaging is going to be your biggest issue. I would get that thing shoe horned in there and then worry about what turbo or turbos you run.

The issue is that the original VG30 V6 is so short and fits mostly behind the front axle when a V8 goes in without cutting the firewall (which all the automatic HVAC stuff is crammed in there you don't get much room by adjusting the firewall witouit ruining the HVAC) your LS will be taking up about the same amount at the old V6 with the fan on the front. that doesn't leave much room for the radiator, electric fans (if your keeping A/C) and the intake.

i don't want to put you off on this swap, I love Z32's and LSX's i ended up selling mine before I got it road worthy. I just want you to be aware that the reason you don't see LS swapped Z32's is mostly because #1 the length of the engine bay (front to back) and the height of the engine bay from the rack to the bottom of the hood
Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Well I'm Goin to take a look at this 5.3 today. My plan was to install the motor than tackle the turbo setup. I want to prepare the motor for boost before I install it though. The one I'm going to look at has 706 heads with a ls1 intake. Has no injectors or coil packs or any of that jazz. I'm gonna need assistance figuring out everything I need to get to make it a running motor ready for boost. I would like make somewhere in the neighborhood of 700whp on e85. Will the 706 heads flow good enough for that kind of power? from what I've read the bottom end should be fine, and I'm Goin to take it to the machine shop and have it all freshened up. Also I've talked to LOJ about the radiator fitment and the recommend a Mishimoto radiator used for rx7 ls swaps that tilts way forward. My initial plan is to set which ever torso I get near or in the battery tray and relocate the battery to the rear of the car. I'd like to get all my plans set out and written down so I can start getting all of the pieces. I appreciate all the responses.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:53 PM
TECH Resident

Lm7 turbo setup in a 240sx project here. Heads you are fine with just add some valve train upgrades like BTR dual kit, ls7 lifters, pushrods. Are there better flowing heads out there, sure but based on your goals it's not worth the added cost IMO.

Talk to liljohn or Martin at tick for cam suggestions. Check out the isky triple 12 cam....people really like it. Block....there are things you can do to beef it up but 700s have been exceeded in stock form with a good tune. Allegedly 05+ lm7 have the stronger ls2 style rods and timing chain FYI....

Turbo, TC76 will likely take you there in a small framed turbo. The BW S475 will do it but a physically larger turbo....pretty huge actually. Deka 80 lb Injectors have done the trick with high fp....people feel better running the 120s or 1000cc injectors on E85.

Gl and keep us posted.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 PM

So I picked up the 5.3 yesterday. super clean. havent torn into it yet. one thing i need to worry about is it has not valve train. Im not sure how to find parts for a valve train could some one head me in the right direction or should I just take it to the machine shop and talk to them?
Old 07-07-2014, 10:10 PM

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/c5-c6...niBhoCAmTw_wcB

anyone have any experience with this throttle body? is it any good? seems cheap.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

91 300zx lq4 turbo with a 6speed here. You have to decide what you are going to sacrifice if you plan on making the car turbo. The swap can be done with no turbo and you can keep ac and heat and likely have no issues. If you wanna run a turbo you are going to lose something because you need a lot of space for a bigger radiator and the piping. Other option is a rear mount turbo but there is very little space for tubing under the car.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Rear mount would be a very cool option on a car like that, I do agree though that the undercarriage space would be something to be considered.

I don't think you will be let down with the power of an LS swap itself over the stock Nissan drivetrain, so it may not be a bad idea to get it running as is then look into turbo down the road.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Ya that's my plan. I wouldn't mind losing heat but ac is pretty important here in the desert. Who should I talk to about my valve train situation?
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 AM

Heres a pic of the motor. I really need to tear it apart.
Attached Thumbnails Turbo 5.3 Nissan 300ZX DS Z32-20140706_182228.jpg  
Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could always do a rear mounted radiator as well...
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 PM

How would a rear mounted radiator work out without any airflow? where would you put it?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

Usually in the trunk with some kind of ducting leading to it. Some type of slotted trunk or rear section of the trunk to allow air to move out of the space.

Just one example:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/06/...est-*****-s14/

Quick Reply: Turbo 5.3 Nissan 300ZX DS Z32