It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap

Hello All,

Long time reader, first time poster...
The time has finally come for me to put an engine in to my 67 Firebird. After years of sheet metal and frame work, my Dad and I are doing a LS install! I thought about keeping the Pontiac 400 - and keeping the car all Pontiac - but after reading about the numerous benefits of the LS swap, I took the plunge. The parts are coming in and the work will be starting shortly. Here are some of the details...
Stuff I bought...
1967 Pontiac Firebird - originally a 326 but had a 400 when I bought it 22 years ago.
Complete Heidts Pro-G front sub-frame and Heidts 4link out back with Wilwood discs all around
Heidts motor mounts for LS Swap
LS2 with automatic from 2006 GTO - my lame attempt to keep this all Pontiac
New Tanks Inc fuel injection ready tank
New LS Swap radiator with twin electric fans
GM Muscle Car oil pan - not sure about this and clearance so might end up Holley

Stuff still left to buy...
Fuel lines - any suggestions?
Accessory drive setup - thinking Holley on this
Vintage Air IV - If I am going this far, why not?

Pics to follow shortly. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks - MZ
Old 07-11-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Looking forward to seeing your updates. I myself struggle with the "staying all Pontiac". But I'll probably go LS turbo. Cheaper than building a Pontiac stroker.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Sounds nice, I went with a 5.3 and the TCI underpinning with my 68 bird.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Please post some pics along the way.
I'm thinking of doing this but I don't think I can afford the Heidts

Last edited by 95wannabe; 07-11-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What plates & headers or manis you going to use?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Haven't decided on which headers yet because I want to see what kind of clearance I will have after the engine is mocked up. I've seen plenty of guys on this board use Doug's or Hooker headers but most have the pitman arm steering box and mine is rack and pinion so I don't know what to expect. Either way I want to go long tube form either of those companies. They are definitely are big decision...
Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99 Blue Bird
Nice. Looking forward to seeing your updates. I myself struggle with the "staying all Pontiac". But I'll probably go LS turbo. Cheaper than building a Pontiac stroker.
Glad to see that there are others like me that want to stay all Pontiac but it's so expensive. Now I have to find a way to sell the two 400's and trannies I have laying around...
Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95wannabe
Please post some pics along the way.
I'm thinking of doing this but I don't think I can afford the Heidts
Hey 95 - you are absolutely right, it is expensive but I have been putting it together for almost four years now. It started with the rear end setup 3 years ago, the front end two years ago and engine this year. I am sure when I add it all up I could have bought a nice vette with all I spent!
Old 07-12-2014, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nofun
Sounds nice, I went with a 5.3 and the TCI underpinning with my 68 bird.
Hey nofun, how happy are you with the TCI package? I looked at them and DSE before picking Heidts.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Default Issues...

Hey Guys, looking for some help...
Have the Heidts ProG front clip and their motor mounts for my LS2. I have swapped out the original front sump pan for the GMPP muscle car pan but still have issues. First is the front of the oil pan hits the rack and pinion and the front of the lower end of the pan hits the back of the subframe.
Does anyone have any LS swaps with heidts in to a first gen fbody? I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

MZ
Old 07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd suggest a cam while you have the motor out of the car, give your car a badass muscle car sound, some extra power for that LS2 also!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
I'd suggest a cam while you have the motor out of the car, give your car a badass muscle car sound, some extra power for that LS2 also!
I am thinking about it. I have been looking around the sales section for some deals.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Gmpp pan flat wont fit a first gen. Wont clear in the front and hangs 2" below crossmember. Iended up using a mast motorsports pan on my 67. Way better pan than holley imo. Your car sounds badass i wish i had the coin for a aftermarket front stub.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gumbasia
Glad to see that there are others like me that want to stay all Pontiac but it's so expensive. Now I have to find a way to sell the two 400's and trannies I have laying around...
Don't drink the Kool Aid too fast. Swapping in an LS motor gets expensive, especially if you want to go T56.

It just depends on what your goals are IMO. My first swap (LS1/4L60e) into a 93 mustang was relatively cheap.

Converting my Nova (LQ4/C6 vette intake and accessories/T56) has been very expensive.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dirtybird67
Gmpp pan flat wont fit a first gen. Wont clear in the front and hangs 2" below crossmember. Iended up using a mast motorsports pan on my 67. Way better pan than holley imo. Your car sounds badass i wish i had the coin for a aftermarket front stub.
Thanks Dirty - I dont even want to add up the cost right not or possibly ever. I guess I am lucky that I had the coin to buy these parts at let alone over the period of a few years.
I was just told by Heidts that I should use the fourth gen f-body pan and it should fit. we shall see
Old 08-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Default Engine and Trans are IN!

Hey All - So I finally have the engine in after a couple of slight missteps on my part the biggest of which was the wrong oil pan. Unfortunately I tried to use the GM 'muscle car' pan with my Heidts set up and it did not work. The biggest issue was the rack and pinion bumping up against the front part of the pan. After calling Heidts - which I should have done in the first effen place - I bought and installed the 4th gen fbody pan and it worked like a charm!
The next steps require a bunch of research to ensure I don't order wrong parts again.
Accessory Drive System - still leaning towards Holley
Headers - up in the air here still as I need to make sure whatever I use will clear/work with the Pro G subframe
Shifter - probably B&M
Attached Thumbnails It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap-imag0418.jpg   It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap-imag0416.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default Update

Made some big strides but I know hearing the old girl start is still a ways off...

Headers - mocked up and fit perfectly. They came from Heidts but I am pretty sure they are Dynatech. Great finish and clearance all around. A bit pricey but, so far, the easiest thing to go in the car.
TB - Decided to go drive by cable as opposed to DBW so I bought a 90mm TB from Edelbrock. The only unforeseen issue with this was the lack of bolts; the DBW TB was thicker and the original bolts were then too long on the slimmer Edelbrock TB.
Wiring - Just got my harness from Schwanke. Laid it out and it looks like it's going to be perfect. The work looks to be top notch.
Accessory Drive - pulled the trigger on the whole Holley kit. This was the second easiest thing to put on the car. Great instructions and nice looking parts. The only thing I need is the p/s reservoir and a belt.

Next up - wiring everything, fuel line(s) and figuring out the exhaust I am going to use.

I do have a question though; how are you guys handling exhaust installs to headers without flanges?
Attached Thumbnails It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap-20140813_155630.jpg  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe Hedman sells a ball and socket set that might work for you. I assume you have a 3" collector and I don't remember if it comes in that size. Just weld the ball on your headers and the socket to your pipes and you would be good to go. I looked at the Heidt's before I bought the Art Morrison, but I wanted C5 suspension and brakes and the Heidt's looked like a Mustang II set up. What size brakes did you go with?
Old 08-15-2014, 08:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gumbasia
Made some big strides but I know hearing the old girl start is still a ways off...

Headers - mocked up and fit perfectly. They came from Heidts but I am pretty sure they are Dynatech. Great finish and clearance all around. A bit pricey but, so far, the easiest thing to go in the car.
TB - Decided to go drive by cable as opposed to DBW so I bought a 90mm TB from Edelbrock. The only unforeseen issue with this was the lack of bolts; the DBW TB was thicker and the original bolts were then too long on the slimmer Edelbrock TB.
Wiring - Just got my harness from Schwanke. Laid it out and it looks like it's going to be perfect. The work looks to be top notch.
Accessory Drive - pulled the trigger on the whole Holley kit. This was the second easiest thing to put on the car. Great instructions and nice looking parts. The only thing I need is the p/s reservoir and a belt.

Next up - wiring everything, fuel line(s) and figuring out the exhaust I am going to use.

I do have a question though; how are you guys handling exhaust installs to headers without flanges?

i use band clamps work great

Later
BobH

http://proshop.summitracing.om/searc...0Band%20Clamps

g
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Aston Tibs
I believe Hedman sells a ball and socket set that might work for you. I assume you have a 3" collector and I don't remember if it comes in that size. Just weld the ball on your headers and the socket to your pipes and you would be good to go. I looked at the Heidt's before I bought the Art Morrison, but I wanted C5 suspension and brakes and the Heidt's looked like a Mustang II set up. What size brakes did you go with?
Hey Alan - thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, you are right, the rack is a Mustang II unit. The brakes I went with are 12 inch Wilwoods.
BTW, like your build thread. Great info.

MZ

Quick Reply: It Begins! My 67 Firebird LS Swap