Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

First thing I did today was get the wastegates positioned and welded the inlet flanges on..... I made another makeshift alignment jig to keep the flanges aligned.....

Then I got one of the wastegate outlet tubes made and welded in place.....

Old 09-05-2015, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 913 Posts

Frank,

Is there an advantage to going through the trouble of plumbing each bank to either side of the divided turbine housing like you are doing? Faster spool?

Andrew
Old 09-05-2015, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Frank,

Is there an advantage to going through the trouble of plumbing each bank to either side of the divided turbine housing like you are doing? Faster spool?

Andrew
That's what they say..... I have not used a divided turbine before, but since there was one on my turbo so I figured why not..... I thought with the glide and the fact that I like to do some foot brake racing it couldn't hurt.....
Old 09-05-2015, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was sitting around doing nothing after the Xfinity race was over this afternoon, so I went back to the shop and got the other wastegate tube made and welded in.....

Old 09-06-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the down pipe routed and welded together today..... Just need to add the v-band flange, O2 bungs and hanger to finish it but I ran out of welding gas..... Here are some progress pic's, the O2 bung are just sitting on the pipe in the approximate position they will be installed.....

Old 09-06-2015, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Frank,

Why 2 sensor in the same pipe?

Andrew
Old 09-06-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Frank,

Why 2 sensor in the same pipe?

Andrew
I will use one for now, but it's nice to have a place for a sensor when tuning on a dyno rather then having it in the tail pipe.....

Also I may decide to go EFI at some point in time and I may want to leave the wideband that's there as a back-up to confirm the system.....
Old 09-06-2015, 04:34 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

You are really going for it on this build Frank. Everything looks great. Are you going to LS Fest?
Old 09-06-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
You are really going for it on this build Frank. Everything looks great. Are you going to LS Fest?
Thanks..... Not this year, not time and I have just been spending to much money on the car lately..... I am thinking I would like to bring the car next year, but we shall see what happens.....
Old 09-12-2015, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I got a hanger bracket for the down pipe made and welded in..... I welded the v-band flange and the O2 bungs on the down pipe.....

Then I put the turbo back together and mocked it up so I could figure out the position for the oil return line trough in the top of the frame.....

The first attempt was a little shallow, guess I'll have to make it a little deeper tomorrow.....
Old 09-13-2015, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Made a new piece to go through the frame deeper and got it to fit(what a pain in the a$$)..... Then put the turbo back in place with a hose attached, now there is enough clearance so I welded it in..... There will need to be some bumper bracket notching to clear the oil drain fitting(BIG SUPRISE ).....

Next I reattached the down pipe and checked the clearance for the inner fender apron..... I ended up notching the factory part of the apron, pulled it together and tacked the seam in place..... Now I can get the clearance I need on the down pipe to finish the apron..... I welded that seam up and ground it down..... The only pic that came out good is after grinding it, so here it is.....

Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

First thing was to mock up the bumper pass side bumper bracket mark it up for necessary modifications...... Then I made the forward panel first, tacked it in and mocked up the turbo to check clearance..... I welded and ground the first panel, after that I made a second panel for the other half of the apron and got it tacked in.....

Here are some progress pic's.....

Old 09-20-2015, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welded up and ground the piece I put in yesterday and cut the clearance for the oil return line..... Then I made the piece for the core support to cap the front of the right apron, welded it in and ground the welds down on it.....

Last thing today was to get the lower radiator mount started.....

Old 09-26-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I finished the lower radiator mount..... Then welded in filler panels on each side of the radiator to close the opening down to the core size and ground the welds down..... After that I mocked the radiator back up and measured for the to mounting bracket, then went over to work and made a top bracket to install tomorrow.....

Here is the progress from the panels tacked in, welded/ground and with the rad mocked up for top bracket measurements.....

Old 09-26-2015, 02:06 PM
Old School Heavy

Which fan is that?
Old 09-26-2015, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which fan is that?
It is a pretty nice piece..... I put one on a customers car at work, liked it and did some research on them.....

www.coolingcomponentsinc.us.com/

They make several different sizes including a couple duals..... All of them come with a large flange the can be trimmed to a smaller size(this is the best chart I have found with the factory size and minimum size they will go http://www.affordablestreetrods.com/...=cat/cat53.htm )..... The singles are 2 speed 2500 cfm, and they only have a 2.625" overall depth.....
Old 09-26-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by franktf
It is a pretty nice piece..... I put one on a customers car at work, liked it and did some research on them.....

They make several different sizes including a couple duals..... All of them come with a large flange the can be trimmed to a smaller size(this is the best chart I have found with the factory size and minimum size they will go http://www.affordablestreetrods.com/...=cat/cat53.htm )..... The singles are 2 speed 2500 cfm, and they only have a 2.625" overall depth.....
If you went with the Holley EFI you can run the fan PWM and you will never hear the fan. EFI FTW!

Andrew
Old 09-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by franktf

How much does yours weigh? I have the 90s Ford Taurus fan. It works great, but it is pretty heavy.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much does yours weigh? I have the 90s Ford Taurus fan. It works great, but it is pretty heavy.
It's mounted now so I am not sure exactly what it weighs..... It's not light but I don't think it's as heavy as those factory fans are.....
Old 10-01-2015, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I woke up sick Sunday morning, but I did go to the shop for a while..... I just started feeling better today and figured I better get Sundays update on here.....

I got the upper radiator mount made and installed..... Then I mocked up the water pump and notched the driver side front frame for clearance, and welded in some filler pieces..... Last thing I got done was to cut a hole put in the core support for the turbo inlet, and tack a ring in the back side in line with it.....

Progress pictures.....

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....