Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work for being sick...
Old 10-03-2015, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie91
Nice work for being sick...
Thanks.....
Old 10-03-2015, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I finished welding and clean up on the turbo inlet opening..... I also made an adjustment to the to the core support where the top radiator mount attaches on the right side, had to split it/lower it and weld it back together..... I notch the top of the core support for more radiator cap clearance..... Then made and welded in the trans cooler mounts..... Last thing I got done was to move the car outside and clean up the mess that was under it, and I got the front sheet metal down so I can test fit it and figure out what to do with the turbo inlet area.....

Here's a few pic's of the car when it was sitting outside.....

Old 10-07-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sunday I got all the front sheet metal and grill mocked up..... Then I modified the main right front bumper bracket so it would clear all the sheet metal modifications(still need to do a mod on the outside bracket).....

There is not a lot of room in front of the turbo opening, still debating what to do for a filter.....

Here's some pic's of the car, bumper bracket mods and the opening area.....

Old 10-12-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got a little work done over the weekend, modified the outer pass side bumper bracket.....

Then I figured out that I am pretty much screwed as far as an air filter goes with out making some major changes..... I did get the hood out and figured out that I can move the grill forward a little and gain some room, but that still wasn't going to cut it..... Now I think I have found a solution but it will require some more modifications to the core support(just when I thought I was almost done with it)..... I ordered a couple pieces to try that should be here before the weekend.....
Old 10-17-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The filter deal I thought was going to work won't, the filter I ordered wasn't actually the size they said..... But that's OK because I have a new plan I think will work..... We will just have to see what happens with that.....

In the mean while I need to make some progress, so I figured I would go ahead and start on the headers..... I bolted the header flange on the head and put some plug in..... I found that the 1/2" thick header flange actually touches the plug wires when clipped on the plug on 3 out of four cylinders.....

So I had to get out the old die grinder and give them some clearance.....

Old 10-17-2015, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Frank,

With the heat of the turbo headers, I would see if you can make the stock aluminum plug shields fit. I used them on my Cougar and if you hit when with a steel wire wheel the plug shields look great and will keep unwanted heat off the plug boots.

Andrew
Old 10-17-2015, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Frank,

With the heat of the turbo headers, I would see if you can make the stock aluminum plug shields fit. I used them on my Cougar and if you hit when with a steel wire wheel the plug shields look great and will keep unwanted heat off the plug boots.

Andrew
I have all new plug wires and shields that came with the motor and I am going to use them..... I actually did test fit the wire with the shield and it fits really good.....
Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Worked on the driver side header today..... Got all the tube made and welded..... Still need to cut the tack welds on the collector, weld the star in between the tubes and the weld the collector on..... I need flare the tubes inside the opening on the header flange, weld them and grind smooth..... Last thing on this header will be to a the v-band to the collector..... But at least the header is built.....

Old 10-24-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got some stuff this week to change it back to a Comet front end..... A straightened/show chrome front bumper, a really nice hood lip trim, my old grill with 3 extra stainless pieces, grill bracket, a set of parking lights and a stone guard of sorts.....

Today after putting some stuff away, washing the truck and boxing some parts I am selling I managed to finish the driver side header..... Welded the v-band to the collector, put the star in the collector area, welded the collector on, welded around the inside of the flange port openings and ground them smooth.....

A pic of the parts and some of the header progress.....

Old 10-25-2015, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I removed the Maverick stone guard and compared it to the Comet stone guard I picked up, they is more different about them then I first thought..... I thought it would be relatively easy to splice the front of the Comet one to the Maverick one, but now that is no easy project..... I guess I will see if I can find a better Comet one.....

Then I cut the short piece of tube off the back of the core support at the turbo inlet, the is a new plan for this area that I will get to later..... Next I put the turbo and down pipe in so I could get started on the passenger side header..... I manage to get the first 2 tubes for the pass side header.....

Old 10-31-2015, 06:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the last 2 tubes made for the pass side header and got the collector welded on today..... Also took a ride to Ocala and pick up a pretty nice stone guard..... Tomorrow I will get the flange inlets welded/ground and get the v-band flange on.....

Today's progress.....

Old 11-01-2015, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I finished the pass side header today and got started on the driver side crossover.....

Old 11-02-2015, 02:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Great work. I always loved the Comets and Maverics.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Great work. I always loved the Comets and Maverics.
Thanks.....
Old 11-07-2015, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got the last of the hot side done this morning...... Tomorrow I am going to get back to work on the air intake area.....

Todays progress.....

Old 11-08-2015, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Today I got the air intake tube and filter location figured out..... Made the tube and got it tacked in place.....

Here I straightened the stone guard I picked up last weekend and bolted it and a grill in place(you can see how much room I will have for a filter after some more modifications).....

Here I got the intake tube made and tacked in the car(I am going to move the trans cooler a little more to the driver side to get it away from the air filter - the air filter I used is jut one I have, I am going to get a larger one to use).....

Old 11-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

All the little details are getting closer.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
All the little details are getting closer.
Yes, but still so much to do it's almost unbelievable..... I was going over the still needs to be done stuff yesterday and all I can say is.....
Old 11-11-2015, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Nice work as always. Do you recall the length of the filter?

Thanks,
Jim
Lets start page 14.

Quick Reply: 72 Comet with a turbo/LS 5.3 in it's future.....