Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Foxbody, TeamZ Kmember 60e Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
Well this is how the Quicktime bellhousing sat in the tunnel. there was no way to get the T56 to mate up...

and this is where the FR steering rack was without offset bushings...

This is after lowering the engine 1.5" and offset rack bushings...

None of this had anything to do with the transmission crossmember because I couldn't even put it in until I dropped the engine.

In my post I clearly say OP (original poster) his transmission mounts look completely different than your stiffler transmission mount, As i said we based our revisions off the stock F body pan and the turbo 350/400 and power glide not a T56 with an aftermarket bell housing, it's hard to anticipate what transmission everyone will use even harder to get our hands on all the different parts for the different combinations, I apologize for your problems! as a manufacture we try to make everything as easy as possible for the installer but sometimes it we cant cover every combination out there!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Steven, you took the measurements on your car to get the engine to fit with all the parts in question, and built the mounts to actually make it all work. You know the answers because you had to do the work and can see the fitment before and the results after.

Don't beat your head against the wall too much here. People are going to believe what they want to believe and no amount of pictorial proof or logic will sway them. You are going to end up in an argument you can never win because of the difference in popularity.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not at all trying to even start much less win an argument, just relaying my experience. Sorry JJ didn't mean to hijack.

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 12-17-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't think you were hijacking. I read your post and 16 years of Corral membership flashed before my eyes.

I remember trying to explain to people why I was saying what I was saying, and having it go badly in the court of popularity. I've found I'm a lot happier now by no longer trying to convince people if their mind is already made up.

I was attempting to console, not chastise. Sorry if it came off the wrong way.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem Jared. Ha, I know what you mean about the Corral, I've been a member since '99. I call this place the LS Corral!

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 12-16-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking back at pics of mine when I switched from aje to team z the height of the engine in the car was exactly the same. The alum moroso f body pan will not I repeat will not work with the team z and keep the crank centerline the same.
I changed to a moroso steel pan and made new mounts. I kept the engine in the exact same position as the aje.

My oil pan was level with the bottom of the k member cross tube.

I have a new team z in the car now but I don't have enough parts to mock anything up and see where it sits. I will be installing a coyote in the car next and making mounts for that application.

I prefer the team z stuff over the aje. The aje looks like a third grader was digging thru a scrap bin finding pieces that fit.

Depending on what oil pan you want to use and if you are making mounts the team z is a better piece.

I don't think there is one part on my car that has not been modified to fit.

Tim
Old 12-16-2014, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Why do you say that about the AJE? Do you have any pics of it?

Mine went in perfectly and the quality seemed good.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NV Z 28
Why do you say that about the AJE? Do you have any pics of it?

Mine went in perfectly and the quality seemed good.
I have always heard that AJE quality was hit-or-miss.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mixture of round, square, and angle just looks cobbled. Plus the # of welds to glue it all together increases the potential failure areas.

Tim
Old 12-17-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
The mixture of round, square, and angle just looks cobbled. Plus the # of welds to glue it all together increases the potential failure areas.

Tim
Yes, my first AJE was all round tube. My new one looks like they used scrap tubing round and square to make it.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Everyone is gonna have opinions on what they do or dont like. My fox body does have the team z k member in it. I was looking at diff ones and it was heavily suggested to me by other racers because of quality and fit. Im happy with it although i did have to make motor mounts. Not really a big deal though. The quality seems top notch and i also used their front coil over kit and control arms as well. I also have a th350 trans in my car and had no problems with transmission interference any where. I just made mounts to lower the engine to where i wanted it. I also used the factory trans crossmember. Again, not a biggie to me. Engine sat nice, i can easily reach my bellhousing bolts and no steering shaft interference either. Like i said in my earlier post, quality piece, i just had to fab mounts.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TeamZmotorsports
In my post I clearly say OP (original poster) his transmission mounts look completely different than your stiffler transmission mount, As i said we based our revisions off the stock F body pan and the turbo 350/400 and power glide not a T56 with an aftermarket bell housing, it's hard to anticipate whaet transmission everyone will use even harder to get our hands on all the different parts for the different combinations, I apologize for your problems! as a manufacture we try to make everything as easy as possible for the installer but sometimes it we cant cover every combination out there!
as a manufacture we try to make everything as easy as possible for the installer but sometimes it we cant cover every combination out there!
How about a **note on your web site and with the K member stating: If using a transmission other than a TH350/400 or power glide such as a modern automatic or manual overdrive with aftermarket bellhousing expect to build custom engine mounts.

Dave, I have a T56 Magnum and Quicktime bellhousing I would be glad to let you use.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SSSTANG#1
How about a **note on your web site and with the K member stating: If using a transmission other than a TH350/400 or power glide such as a modern automatic or manual overdrive with aftermarket bellhousing expect to build custom engine mounts..
That won't happen.....they will just keep telling people ..."it should fit"
Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Or, build a set of mounts that drop the engine 1" and offer a bit more fore-aft adjustability. EASY!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't move the motor down at all or the Dynotech headers won't clear the steering staft.....a guy on another forum mentioned he had to move the knuckle on the steering shaft towards the firewall so that it cleared the headers..

Funny how they talk about crank shaft center line being so important but yet he moves the motor up to clear the headers........

you where at 7 1/8......with my AJE i'm at 8 1/4

Old 12-24-2014, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone heard of any problems with PA racing k member ?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:25 AM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

i run headman mid length headers and they are the best fit and design I have seen yet for fox swap, I had a set long tubes but they hanged really low I eneded up shorting the primary's for ground clearance on them before I went to the headman
Old 12-24-2014, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm building a set to fit.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:03 AM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally the holidays are over and now will have time to work on the car again, I had the AJE trans cross member for a while now and finally had the time to install it, it looks like I'll have to make trans cross member mounts as well, just like SSSTANG#1 did..

This looks more like it, now to finish the mounts and I'll be able to get the driveshaft...

And what team z said about my other cross member, that had nothing to do with the transmission placement as the engine mounts are solid so the transmission had very little play (up & down movement) like 1/2 inch at most..

I remove the team z motor mounts and seat the trans on the aje cross member, this seam like the only way it will work, the only concern is how close is the right side head from the firewall, it like 2mm from hitting and the left side is 1 3/4" from the firewall, I believe I can still move everything about 1/4 forward and the engine down, I will be sitting the car on jack stand to make sure all the angles are ok before I can make the mounts..

Old 01-04-2015, 06:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I feel your pain...looks like it needs to go down a half inch and forward a half inch BUT the K won't allow it.

Quick Reply: 87 Foxbody, TeamZ Kmember 60e Clearance Issue