Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any AWD cars that can fit an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any of the chevvy stuff bolts up and you can make adapters up to fit any of the other stuff. What did you have in mind?
Old 06-17-2004, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You looked at any Audi's there is a good bit of room in a A4, and the new S4 has a V8 that is kinda big with the over head cams, so I think that an A4 could hold that swap
Old 06-17-2004, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will never fit a ls1 in an audi easily, the 4.2 is wide but not as long as a american v8, not to mention that accessorysare flat with the motor and theres abour 1/8 inch between the engine in the front and rear of the engine bay.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigPlanTransAm
Typhoons and Syclones are S-10's right? what kind of ride height do they have? do they look jacked up like a 4x4 truck? that extra height kills aerodynamics. i looked on e-bay and didn't see and Typhoons or Syclones, they must be pretty rare huh?
and T-wrekz, do you mean the Aries that posts on here? i did a search of his posts but didn't see anything on this subject.
Just stumbled across this thread while searching for something else...

A Syclone is basically a 4x4 Sonoma with the Astro AWD transfer case and a turbo on the LB4 4.3L. It has lower compression pistons because of the turbo and some nodular iron parts (crank and main caps I think). It's lowered 1" compared to the regular 4x4, but the cladding makes it seem much lower. I think it uses different torsion bar keys or something, and the leaf springs are obviously different, but it's still a regular S-10 4x4 suspension setup.

The right front axle tube is longer than on regular S-trucks. I was told this is because they had to move the diff off-center so it didn't interfere with the engine. Because of the increased front axle width, the front wheels are offset about 1" from the rear wheels. 16x8's stock, and 4th gen F-body wheels fit perfectly on the front, and with ~1" spacers in the rear (so they aren't tucked in). The 11" wide ZR1 wheels fit perfectly in the rear without spacers also.

http://syclone.invisibill.net/ has more on my Sy, and http://www.syty.net/ is pretty much the "official" SyTy site.

You'd be pretty stupid to buy a SyTy just to swap in an LS1. You could get an S-10 body plus fiberglass cladding (if you even wanted it) for a lot less, and you wouldn't be hacking up a rare vehicle to boot. However, it would be very feasible to copy the SyTy's setup with regular parts, swapping in better stuff where needed.

It doesn't sound like you're really to that stage yet, but SyTy's chew up trannies like you wouldn't believe. They're rated at 285hp/350tq, but they often dyno closer to 300/400. One truck with a chip and fuel pressure change made over 500ft.lbs. of torque. When your wheels don't spin, the trans takes a beating.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:05 PM
Teching In

Default kit car LS1 AWD idea

if you were to build a front engine kit car or something that involves major modification i know that you can buy an adapter or make one of your own so that the LS1 will bolt up to an audi 5000 transmission because kit car people have been using that combination for a couple years now in mid-engine cars but if you placed it in a front mount configuration with a 5000S transmission it has a driveshaft comming out the back as well as the front transaxle so you could use audi's quattro AWD with an LS1 but you would have to do some research as to what that would fit under and with how much modification.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:12 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The Audi would make a better home, than a WRX.
The WRX 5 speed can barely handle the power of the std engine, let alone a V8. The 6 speed is a lot stronger though.

Length would be a major problem too. A V8 is a lot longer than a flat 4. I know a guy fitting a flat 6 SVX engine into his Subaru, and he is having problems with radiator location etc.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No one has mentioned this yet?
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/83863/
Old 07-24-2004, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Highperformance AWD chews up trans because Their is power under the hood, traction everywhere and the trans is in the middle...

A Rossler 210 could bolt to the the sy/ty, astro (rum roll), bravada what ever else it came in T case.... May I also suggest just using a reverse rotation front IFS diff from a bigger truck... Then use a intermediate shaft to make the CV axles the same length yet still have an offset diff.. Run a dry sump or a vette oil pan for clearance.. Or look at summits quadraduce. An AWD prowler (somewhat) looking protouring style street rod with alot of power and formula 1 style front suspension.. Build a on a tube chasis street rod kit...

Or get a high rise big block style hood on an f body, raise the engine and use the vette pan and modify some 4x4 spindles to connect to the control arms.... Then run the tcase on it... Serious chopping of the floor pan and fabwork would ensue. Like "tubing" the bellhousing tunnel pehaps even notching the windsheild around it since it is a tuckunder motor.

I have seen A FWD Eclipse spider get converted to AWD.. It had no driveshaft tunnel, rear differential etc before the conversion... It would get out cornered by a accord due to chasis flex so long as it is a clean road.

It can be done but the issue will always be the driveline even in a stock AWD vehicle like a Sy/Ty... In reality if I had a track only Stealth S15 I'd modify a gear drive 4x4 full time t-case (think what turbo diesel 4x4 duallys have) so there is no low range... etc.. just a big gear 1-1 driven extra yoke sticking out of a box. then run a reverse rotation 9" third member in a fabed pumpkin with stubs to accept RAXLES built CV axle splines. Another 9" would be outback. AWD basically spooled front rear and middle.... Otherwise it is'nt a matter of if but of time.. Extreme HP skyline GTRs break their driveline.. Formula 1 breaks drivelines, top fuel and FC breaks drivelines. Racing is going fast and breaking when you are not.

Last edited by V8_DSM_V8again; 07-24-2004 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would think a TH400 would be able to hold up to anything you could throw at it, guys run them with slicks and dead hook all day long with no problems. also, i wouldnt think you'd need anything stronger than 12-bolt rears no matter hoe much power you make since the load is being distributed between the 2 of them.
the most vulnerable part would have to be the T-case
Old 07-27-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.pontiacpower.net/gp8.html
Old 07-27-2004, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

if it wasnt so ugly it'd be perfect!
Old 07-28-2005, 09:23 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Id love to shove one in my WRX

Looks like it'd fit with the right work.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790645
Old 07-29-2005, 02:07 AM
On The Tree

Other options: Mitsu EVO, AWD GTI, AWD Audi (couple models to choose from), BMW 325ix AWD. Or do the S10/typhoon/cyclone thing with atwist
Old 07-29-2005, 02:37 AM
TECH Resident

Those stock astro van, s10 differentials/transfers arent gonna withstand that much tq. May be good for a launch or two and you have wasted alot of time mounting that ****. Beef it up.. Those Syclones/typhoons are amazing little trucks though! Good luck!
Old 07-29-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Audi 5000 TQ had a V-8 to begin with, albeit a small one. They are cheap used, parts are readily available in the junk yard and the differentials are indestructable. I'm using an Audi rear in my conversion
Old 07-29-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RaRe99SS
Those stock astro van, s10 differentials/transfers arent gonna withstand that much tq. May be good for a launch or two and you have wasted alot of time mounting that ****. Beef it up.. Those Syclones/typhoons are amazing little trucks though! Good luck!
I think those parts will stand up just fine....

For example: There's a guy (Robert) with a Sy in Sweden running mid 9's and driving 300 miles + to go to the track and run. Still running the V6, stock tcase, stock diffs (front & rear) but now using a 4L80E (broke too many 700R4's). Mid 9's in a 3800 to 4000 lb truck has got to make some pretty serious power and torque.

The biggest single problem that Sy's and Ty's face is transmission durability. The 700R4 just really isn't strong enough to put up with the abuse of high power and lots of traction. A TH350 or TH400 is a good choice to replace the 700R4 in AWD application, but neither have a 4th gear (without using a GV Overdrive or similar equipment) which doesn't make it a great daily driver application. The 4L80E is a good choice, but its heavy & expensive, and is rumored to "eat" alot of power (not that a TH400 and a GV OD wouldn't do about the same).

'Dreamin'
Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Teching In

I used a 1992 Chevy 3/4 ton truck transfer case (241) with a SYE (slip yoke eliminator) from JB Conversions that changes the slip yoke to a stronger short shaft with flange at the rear output. This transfer case bolts onto my 2001 4L60E 4WD version trans, but it is a part-time only transfer case and does not allow for slippage between the front and rear axles as they are locked together = not good for street use.

This setup allows for a 1350 CV joint at the output of the transfer case, and I'm running a 1410 ujoint at the pinion of my rear Dana 60 with a Detroit locker and 5.13's and has 35 spline custom Moser shafts, which IMO turns the 4L60E into my "fuse" failure point in the whole drivetrain.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
I think those parts will stand up just fine....

For example: There's a guy (Robert) with a Sy in Sweden running mid 9's and driving 300 miles + to go to the track and run. Still running the V6, stock tcase, stock diffs (front & rear) but now using a 4L80E (broke too many 700R4's). Mid 9's in a 3800 to 4000 lb truck has got to make some pretty serious power and torque.

The biggest single problem that Sy's and Ty's face is transmission durability. The 700R4 just really isn't strong enough to put up with the abuse of high power and lots of traction. A TH350 or TH400 is a good choice to replace the 700R4 in AWD application, but neither have a 4th gear (without using a GV Overdrive or similar equipment) which doesn't make it a great daily driver application. The 4L80E is a good choice, but its heavy & expensive, and is rumored to "eat" alot of power (not that a TH400 and a GV OD wouldn't do about the same).

'Dreamin'
Would a T56 transmission work with the Si/Ti t-case?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kenmore
Would a T56 transmission work with the Si/Ti t-case?
The transfer case isn't a problem. Its got a 27spline input shaft and fairly standard mounting configuration.

HOWEVER, the T56 has never been offered in a 4wd application, which means there isn't a tailshaft that is designed to mount a transfer case. You would have to either make or find a new or modified tailshaft housing that can mount the transfer case. I don't know of anybody offering that right now, but that doesn't mean much.

So, mounting the Borg Warner 4472 transfer case (the one used in the Sy / Ty / AWD Astro / Bravada) or any other transfer case isn't impossible, just very difficult and expensive at this point.

The other concern would be transmission strength. With all that traction, the clutch and transmission would take a beating. Hopefully, the clutch would act as the fuse and keep you from breaking transmission parts. You'd probably want to do every upgrade on the trans you can (Viper this, HD aftermarket that, whatever).

'Dreamin'
Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Teching In

all these people suggesting audis because they have v8s, but there is one really BIG problem, the engine, because it is really SMALL. its about as wide as a typical dohc v8, but from front to back its only about 20 inches long. compare that to a ls1 which is about 27.5 inches long. if you want to swap a v8 into an audi think audi v8, like a 4.2 into a 1.8t car. the only audi that might be suitable for a ls1 swap is a quattro because they had an inline 5, but that engine was about 25 inches long and that still leaves 2.5 inches to be accounted for, plus those things had the radiator off to the side which was made possible by the fact that the engine was narrow. oh yeah and due to their rally success, these suckers are expensive.

Quick Reply: Any AWD cars that can fit an LS1?