Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any AWD cars that can fit an LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDreamin
The transfer case isn't a problem. Its got a 27spline input shaft and fairly standard mounting configuration.

HOWEVER, the T56 has never been offered in a 4wd application, which means there isn't a tailshaft that is designed to mount a transfer case. You would have to either make or find a new or modified tailshaft housing that can mount the transfer case. I don't know of anybody offering that right now, but that doesn't mean much.

So, mounting the Borg Warner 4472 transfer case (the one used in the Sy / Ty / AWD Astro / Bravada) or any other transfer case isn't impossible, just very difficult and expensive at this point.

The other concern would be transmission strength. With all that traction, the clutch and transmission would take a beating. Hopefully, the clutch would act as the fuse and keep you from breaking transmission parts. You'd probably want to do every upgrade on the trans you can (Viper this, HD aftermarket that, whatever).

'Dreamin'
That sounds expensive. What would be a better transmission for this setup? can you give me an auto and manual transmission name?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Veteran

a good set of tire will out do awd any day... plus you keep all that top end and less weight.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve1969LS1
Id love to shove one in my WRX
keep awd and the turbo and youre set
Old 07-29-2005, 07:42 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by 8KickassRS9
keep awd and the turbo and youre set

Yeah, I think that would be a kick *** conversion. I also see the GM 4.2L Straight 6 being a potent turbo motor in that thing too, but pretty hard to cram a straight 6 and the AWD out of a Trailblaizer SS into the a WRX.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kenmore
That sounds expensive. What would be a better transmission for this setup? can you give me an auto and manual transmission name?

Yeah, thats pretty much the issue you run into.

I would expect that some of the truck manual transmissions would bolt up, but most of those have a granny 1st (and you couldn't shift quickly if your pink slip depended on it!) I'm not sure if the Richmond Gear 6 speed has a Tcase tailshaft available (but thats still a high dollar option). You could probably do a 4 speed manual without trouble, but then you give up overdrive gears. I don't know that there is a good 5 speed choice either.

Stock, the BW4472 bolts up to the 700R4 / 4L60 / 4L60E / 4L65E. Sadly, the trans isn't really all that stout. Maybe the new 4L70E package that is coming out in the '06 Trailblazer SS will be a little better, but......

The path that I intend upon following is using the 4L80E (or a 4L85E if I can find one for reasonable money). Sadly, that requires a replacement output shaft (modified to provide 27 splines vs 32 spline stock) which means you've got to completely dissassemble the trans. Once you do that, at least you'll have a 4 speed auto. Or you can run a TH 400 with a GV Overdrive (but that's probably the same or more money as a 4L80E).

It all boils down to there isn't a cheap solution. What a suprise.

'Dreamin'
Old 07-30-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sadly, that requires a replacement output shaft (modified to provide 27 splines vs 32 spline stock) which means you've got to completely dissassemble the trans.
Why not just get a cheaper custom driveshaft? You could adapt the sy/ty setup to a lot of different chassis's. If I remember right the quadra duece was a six speed originally.

I love the thought of a torquey LS1 6.0L in an all wheel drive astro van, that is too cool! Any pics?

Bill
Old 07-31-2005, 10:50 AM
Teching In

The path that I intend upon following is using the 4L80E (or a 4L85E if I can find one for reasonable money). Sadly, that requires a replacement output shaft (modified to provide 27 splines vs 32 spline stock) which means you've got to completely dissassemble the trans. Once you do that, at least you'll have a 4 speed auto. Or you can run a TH 400 with a GV Overdrive (but that's probably the same or more money as a 4L80E).

It all boils down to there isn't a cheap solution. What a suprise.

'Dreamin'

Yeah just the other day I have decided on going with the 4L80E but I thought the bw4472 T-case would bolt right up to the tranny. maybe you could give me a little more info on what I need to do since you said that your doing the same thing. PM me if need be because I have a few questions about it.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:41 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Is there any chance that the Trailblazer SS will eventually be offered with a T56? I remember the early stages of development with that option package and they were experimenting with a T56, AWD, and twin-turbo on that straight six. If nothing else...what about a venture gear 6 spd? They offered those out of dodge cummins trucks and obviously you can get them with a transfer case. Also, you should be able to get the right gear set with them since Gale Banks and company experimented with that on the salt flats a few years ago, though in 2wd. configuration. At least you'd be able to source a junkyard gearbox, and figure out what you need to make the converstions. Just a thought.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

why not a t56 with a custom shaft and a divorced trasfer case?
Old 07-31-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kenmore
Yeah just the other day I have decided on going with the 4L80E but I thought the bw4472 T-case would bolt right up to the tranny. maybe you could give me a little more info on what I need to do since you said that your doing the same thing. PM me if need be because I have a few questions about it.
The BW4472 doesn't bolt right up to a 4L80e. You've got to do some work. There is an adapter available, from Turbotime (not a sponsor, so I'm not going to post a link). Consists of a replacement transmission output shaft (with 27 splines) and an adapter to mate the tailshaft mounting pattern to the transfer case (at least thats what was explained to me). You do have to completely dissassemble the tranny (the output shaft is one of the 1st things in and last out when you take it apart).

I hadn't thought of running it as a divorced setup. That would work, but take up a fair bit of room. Reason I hadn't considered it is that most vehicles I've been considering don't really have the room for that. And the solution from Turbotime is available.

I have no idea if GM will make the T56 available in the Trailblazer SS. All I know about it is from the press releases. I haven't seen a price as yet. Personally, I'm guessing mid $40's and not expecting to see incentives on it (like employee pricing or anything).
Old 08-01-2005, 08:59 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

The BW4472 doesn't bolt right up to a 4L80e. You've got to do some work. There is an adapter available, from Turbotime (not a sponsor, so I'm not going to post a link). Consists of a replacement transmission output shaft (with 27 splines) and an adapter to mate the tailshaft mounting pattern to the transfer case (at least thats what was explained to me). You do have to completely dissassemble the tranny (the output shaft is one of the 1st things in and last out when you take it apart).

I hadn't thought of running it as a divorced setup. That would work, but take up a fair bit of room. Reason I hadn't considered it is that most vehicles I've been considering don't really have the room for that. And the solution from Turbotime is available.

I have no idea if GM will make the T56 available in the Trailblazer SS. All I know about it is from the press releases. I haven't seen a price as yet. Personally, I'm guessing mid $40's and not expecting to see incentives on it (like employee pricing or anything).

AWD option in the news forum listed it ~42k, fully trimmed.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
AWD option in the news forum listed it ~42k, fully trimmed.
Good to know. Still more bread than I want to spend on something that'll depreciate like a rock the second it rolls off the dealer's lot. And I'm personally not sold on its apprearance. But good to know, none the less.

'Dreamin'
Old 08-01-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

If nothing else...what about a venture gear 6 spd? They offered those out of dodge cummins trucks and obviously you can get them with a transfer case...
ive got one in my dodge 3500, theyre REALLY SUPER HEAVY, and you wouldnt want to try to wedge it in anything much smaller than my dually...and most of all, every try shifting quick in one of those things?...not all that easy...
Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Good to know. Still more bread than I want to spend on something that'll depreciate like a rock the second it rolls off the dealer's lot. And I'm personally not sold on its apprearance. But good to know, none the less.

'Dreamin'

Oh, I'm with you there. I don't think I'll ever spend more than 25~27k on a car/vehicle ever unless I hit the lottery. Obviously that's price of the car, not withstanding additional modifications
Old 08-01-2005, 11:30 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by wolfy
ive got one in my dodge 3500, theyre REALLY SUPER HEAVY, and you wouldnt want to try to wedge it in anything much smaller than my dually...and most of all, every try shifting quick in one of those things?...not all that easy...

Hey, you never know until you ask or try right? Yeah, I know what it's like to shift my Dad's 97 Cummins 5spd (4.10 rear ). The throws are long, but that gearbox has over 50k miles on it (knock on wood) it's running great.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Hey, you never know until you ask or try right? Yeah, I know what it's like to shift my Dad's 97 Cummins 5spd (4.10 rear ). The throws are long, but that gearbox has over 50k miles on it (knock on wood) it's running great.
mine has almost 300,k (like 291k) and its running great, but it also weighs a h3ll of alot...ive even had a chance to shift one that has the short shifter available thru geno's garage, and its still a b!tch to shift,

i was thinking about a s10 v8/manual/awd setup too. divorced trans case took up ENTIRELY too much room. i think we couldnt get the front driveshaft wouldnt work because of clearance issues, and the rear driveshaft was so short the angles were really extreme during rear suspension travel. that was in a short bed reg cab early 90's s10 though...

-cam
Old 08-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Teching In

i dont know that a LS1 will fit but Lexus has V8 AWD cars now. if they still use the same basic UZ-FE engines, and they probably do since they are proven, then dimensions should be similar
Old 08-03-2005, 12:38 PM
Teching In

sorry about the consecutive posts but i was thinking something else that would be cool, take a T56 and modify the head of the tranny just behind the bellhousing so that the transfer case is there and drives off the front of a custom gear shaft, then run the driveshaft as close to the engine as possible with the front diff housing bolted to the engine like an accessory, you could run the front driveshaft jointless and it would move the tranny and shifter back only a few inches. just a thought

Quick Reply: Any AWD cars that can fit an LS1?