Default Alternator Belt/wiring

DISCLAIMER - have not had first start but here is my plan

For reference:

Belt part number for the RH alternator setup

(different manufacturers)
350K6
6PK0890

I have a 2001 996 with electronic gas pedal
Most all the connections you need for the swap are found on Porsche PCM connector IV (40 pin)

Ground Pedal Value sensor 2 - IV - pin 12 Green/Red
Signal Pedal Value Sensor 2 - IV - pin 13 Green/White
+5V Pedal Value sensor 2 - IV - pin 14 Green/Black
Ground Pedal Value sensor 1 - IV - pin 7 Green/Gray
Signal Pedal Value Sensor 1 -IV- pin 8 Green/Yellow
+5V Pedal Value Sensor 1 -IV- pin 9 Red/Violet

MIL Lamp - IV - pin 31 Blue/Yellow
Speedometer - not needed, controlled by Porsche PSM
Tachometer - IV - pin 17 Violet/Green
Brake Signal - IV - pin 24 Black/DR (dark red?)

Fans - I will try to do what Fierofly is doing, hook up the factory sensor to the LS and see if the factory ECM controls the fans... if not I will wire the GM ecu but have to use a relay to change polarity because the Porsche side needs +12 but the GM computer provides aground. Fan 1 connector IV- pin 4 Yellow/Green Fan 2 connector IV - pin 20 Yellow/Gray

Fuel Pump - Plan on using Porsche relay - Connector IV pin 10 Yellow/White

Will edit if it changes, but this is my plan.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, I'll try to look over my notes TODAY on your throttle pedal wire colors. Fuel Pump, I tried to use the Porsche ECU but for some reason I had inconsistent power to the relay, I think it was the Porsche ECU setting some kind of protection, rollover or no engine signals possibly. I just wired the GM to the I THINK green/yellow wire that comes from the fuel pump relay and goes to the fuel pump. I also had, not sure if your year model has, a fuel pump controller that was mounted under the pump access panel, It varies pressure according to eng RPM, I removed this and bypassed the power wire. The problem this might create is I no longer have any accident fuel pump shut off. Something I'll have to address in the future.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tach Wire ? Mine, the Porsche signal wire is White, this was "T"d into the Blue with white tracer on the GM crank sensor.

Throttle Wires, That's how mine are hooked up to the GM computer.

Mil light, I bought an LED (radio shack) mounted it below my left side vent in that cutout. powered light by "T"ing into Ign source. The wire from the GM ECU just provides a ground.

Do you know about the random Porsche ECU systems check that shuts down the water Temp till you rest the ECU or clear codes? RH is looking for a fix on this.

Last edited by Fierofly; 12-28-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

My 01 wiring system is simpler. The tach wire, water temp, and oil pressure wire straight to the instrument cluster according to the porsche diagram I have. The water temp also tees off to the ECU which I believe will control the fan logic. If not pretty much all of the ECU to body communications are on connector IV on my ECU.
As for the fuel relay, the Porsche ecu simply applies a positive 12v to the porsche fuel relay that turns on the pump. My standalone GM harness has a fuel relay, so ill just tap off the positive signal of the relay on the GM to the Porsche relay.
I spent several hours with the Motronic 7.2 wiring diagram.. do you have the diagram for your 03 canbus system? I believe the 01 turbo's had canbus back then, you could ask on the porsche forum. Your engine had a more complex variocam system than mine, plus the upgrade to canbus.
There are a few shops out there that are going to know how this works, because they offer upgrades for my year 3.4 to canbus 3.6 or 3.8 canbus systems.(oh the money that people pay for .2 more displacement) They would be the ones who probably have the answer, but back when I was researching swapping my blown motor with another Porsche engine, I think the solution involved swapping the old instrument cluster to the canbus one.
If there is a way to wire it like mine with your GM signal directly to the instrument cluster that would probably eliminate the diagnostic...orrrrrrrr
I was just thinking if you could disassemble your instrument cluster and put a pre-canbus water temp gauge in there and just wire it to the sensor. I've dissassembled my whole dash, but never had the cluster apart. Theres a firm out there that repairs the clusters.. might shoot them an email.

Its all about detective work for us swap guys.
Old 01-02-2015, 04:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great build!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:06 PM
Teching In

I too am searching for a 996 roller. This is awesome. My greatest issue is being set on AWD. Almost everything I have is AWD and I love it.

Keep up the good work and update your thread as you progress...
Old 04-25-2015, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

OK, its been a long go with some other commitments keeping me from working on this. I need some help if someone has time.

Getting codes P0315 which is crankshaft learn - need to get the learn done

I'm getting P0171 and P0174 which is lean on bank 1 and bank 2. Fuel pressure is good close to 60psi. I have a 5.3 with a z06 cam in it. Could it be I just need a tune? Any way to check? I get a backfire when i release the gas. Idle and acceleration seem good but the backfire is a mystery.

Bigger problem.. im using the Porsche DBW pedal with the Chevy computer. My issue is that I can only rev to 4000 RPM. So hooking up a scan tool, when I put the pedal to the floor the scanner says the pedal is only at 70%. Is there a way to adjust this in the tune? Otherwise I'm going to have to tear out the dash to switch to a gm pedal. I'd really like to keep the Porsche pedal if possible.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Amille28
Bigger problem.. im using the Porsche DBW pedal with the Chevy computer. My issue is that I can only rev to 4000 RPM. So hooking up a scan tool, when I put the pedal to the floor the scanner says the pedal is only at 70%. Is there a way to adjust this in the tune? Otherwise I'm going to have to tear out the dash to switch to a gm pedal. I'd really like to keep the Porsche pedal if possible.
Not sure why your having this problem, mine is wired the same and I'm hitting the rev limiter at 6500rpm. Double check your wires.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fierofly
Not sure why your having this problem, mine is wired the same and I'm hitting the rev limiter at 6500rpm. Double check your wires.
Just a thought...
Is it possible your engine is programmed as an automatic? I ask as my Gen IV setup only revs to 4k in neutral or park. Wondering if the tune is putting a rev limiter on it for the same reason as mine. In gear, I achieve full red line on WOT.

Not sure that'd explain the 70% throttle issue. I'd closed measure Porsche factory resistances vs. the GM pedal at various throttle positions. Perhaps there is a way to calibrate with resistors or something else.

Doug
Old 04-27-2015, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

My 01 wiring system is simpler. The tach wire, water temp, and oil pressure wire straight to the instrument cluster according to the porsche diagram I have. The water temp also tees off to the ECU which I believe will control the fan logic. If not pretty much all of the ECU to body communications are on connector IV on my ECU.
As for the fuel relay, the Porsche ecu simply applies a positive 12v to the porsche fuel relay that turns on the pump. My standalone GM harness has a fuel relay, so ill just tap off the positive signal of the relay on the GM to the Porsche relay.
I spent several hours with the Motronic 7.2 wiring diagram.. do you have the diagram for your 03 canbus system? I believe the 01 turbo's had canbus back then, you could ask on the porsche forum. Your engine had a more complex variocam system than mine, plus the upgrade to canbus.
There are a few shops out there that are going to know how this works, because they offer upgrades for my year 3.4 to canbus 3.6 or 3.8 canbus systems.(oh the money that people pay for .2 more displacement) They would be the ones who probably have the answer, but back when I was researching swapping my blown motor with another Porsche engine, I think the solution involved swapping the old instrument cluster to the canbus one.
If there is a way to wire it like mine with your GM signal directly to the instrument cluster that would probably eliminate the diagnostic...orrrrrrrr
I was just thinking if you could disassemble your instrument cluster and put a pre-canbus water temp gauge in there and just wire it to the sensor. I've dissassembled my whole dash, but never had the cluster apart. Theres a firm out there that repairs the clusters.. might shoot them an email.

Its all about detective work for us swap guys.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 5.3 L came with a 24x reluctor wheel, and Porsche is 58x? How are you going to make the tach work? I haven't done all that much research on this, but I will have to get it working in my Boxster swap too.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Sub'd. Info collection for future build.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

Maybe someone can help:

I'm still at a loss. I returned from my trip and added the Corvette (silver) throttle body. My throttle response is a little better but im still limited at 4000 rpm. Believing this was somehow related to the porsche pedal, I ordered a corvette pedal and same thing. 4000 rpm.

Symptoms:
1. RPM limited to just under 4000 (~38-3900 rpm)
2. Has crank relearn code
3. Normally pops P0171 and P0174 lean on bank 1 and bank 2
4. backfires on deceleration releasing gas pedal.
4. if you accelerate aggressively during the backfire you go into limp mode and get a P0606

What ive tried so far.
1. spraying starter fluid to look for a vacuum leak - reads about 16-7 inHG at idle
2. clearing codes and driving the car
3. both truck and vette TB
4. both porsche and vette gas pedal.
5. added fuel pressure gauge. normally at 60psi.

Engine seems to run fine when accelerating.
This is a pretty much stock 5.3 aluminum block with stock heads. My only upgrade is a 04 Z06 cam with upgraded springs. Running an LS1 intake and LS1 injectors.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

I don't post much, so I hope this helps...

I suspect it's your DBW set up. The TAC module and the pedal need to be from the same vehicle. This is one reason folks here like the cable driven TBs.

There's at least four 911 builds here that are running. Yours seems to be the only one having this trouble. If it was my project, I would use the pedal, TAC and TB all from the same car.

--JMarsa
Old 06-13-2015, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

yes, you are correct. That is why I changed my original setup to a 08 Vette TB, 08 Vette pedal, 08 Vette ECU. I'm still having issues... not sure what I am doing wrong.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

I'm not trying to beat this to death, but you didn't mention your TAC module.

Here's some info:

http://chevythunder.com/drive_by_wire.htm

for others, here's a list of threads tag'd as "DBW"

https://ls1tech.com/forums/tags/dbw.html

--JMarsa
Old 06-14-2015, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

The 08 ECU does not have a TAC module
Old 06-11-2016, 08:50 AM
Banned

The 08 ECU does not have a TAC module
Interested in starting my own build as I have a '99 c4 and am tired of not making power....and want a project. Did you ever make any headway on this or get rid of it all together or....
Old 06-12-2016, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great build and sorry to hear that you are running into issues.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:26 AM
8 Second Club

looking good so far !
did you ever get a chance to fix the pedal problem?
Old 08-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry everyone I have a busy job and have been travelling quite a bit. Yes I do have the car running and it is bada&&.

Ok, so the pedal dilmma. I am still running the Porsche 996 gas pedal wired into the E38 computer. I have been tuning with HP Tuners and have gotten some help on their forum. Here is what seems to be working for me for the last couple weeks. Below are the instructions.

What I believe this is doing to the software is that it is making a change to the allowable tolerance in voltage difference between the APP sensor 1 and sensor 2. If the difference is unexpected the GM computer will put the LS motor into limp mode. Following the below procedure on HP tuners could possibly allow for a bigger tolerance. USE AT OWN RISK! You are messing with the programming involving your accelerator. If things don't work you could have a really bad day. So far it is working for me.

Try going to edit-->add slave segment data

Save, close, re-open

Go to engine diagnostics -->airflow.

Increase the P1516 error allowances some and see if it makes any difference. I think you need to do a write entire after changing these

Long shot, but worth a shot IMO

Quick Reply: Another Porsche. 2001 Porsche 996 5.3 swap