Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

64 Cadillac Fleetwood Limo (Newbie Alert)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 Cadillac Fleetwood Limo (Newbie Alert)

Figured since I finally am getting parts together. I would start a build thread for my project. I am totally new to the lsx swap world. So bear with me

The car is a 64 Cadillac Series 75 Formal Limo, with partition glass. Ive been wanting to build a Caddy for years. And finally stumbled across a friend letting go of his, and it was huge. Just like I wanted. So after some dealing and letting go of my previous 7 year project (Bagged, Suicided, Toyota truck) I drug this thing home

Takes up most of my 30 x 30 garage

Had a rough year and didnt get to touch the car. Finally getting life back on track.

Was back and forth about motors. Had a 500 to drop in it, even had a 6.2 diesel. Sold em all bought another parts car

Was considering using the 429 and th400 out of it. But decided that availability of parts and dependability. I wanted to do what I originally said I was going to do. And go LS

Still stripping the parts car, taking what I need for parts and selling the rest. Eventually scrapping the remains (Its rough) Been working on the floors in mine. Piecing together parts for the air suspension. And starting to peice together a motor setup.

Just picked up this 03 LQ4 last week, 180k had a bottom end rattle. But it was cheap and a good base for me to start my project. Picked up a 411 ecm and harness over the weekend. And all the truck accessories as well.

Thats about where Im at right now. Front end if off my car. Getting ready to actually make some progress. Ive been doing lots of research, built quite a few vehicles, But this is my first time attempting a ls swap. So Im sure there will be lots of questions and very slow progress..

Last edited by ShortyFON; 12-29-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: I cant spell
Old 12-29-2014, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Nice! How long is that beast?

Andrew
Old 12-29-2014, 12:13 PM

With bumpers, just shy of 23 ft

Last edited by ShortyFON; 12-29-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortyFON
With bumpers, just shy of 23 ft
If you happen to need a different pan, I have a really nice L92 pan for sale in the classifieds. It looks to be a little shallower than what you have there.

Looking forward to updates.

Andrew
Old 12-29-2014, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

was going to say at LEAST 20', but sweet find, good luck on the build, i will lurk and watch!
Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You definitely take different alternative but I like the project. Surprised not hearing about a converted hearse yet.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 PM
Staging Lane

you going to tub that sucker? i love the late '60s early 70's caddies.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:26 PM

No need to tub it. Factory wells are huge. Should lay out flat with no wheel well mods. It's going to be on a set of 65 hub caps powder coated gloss black with wide whitewalls. Probably going to have to raise the drive shaft tunnel. As far as oilpans, the only x frame caddy swaps I've seen have all used the gm muscle car pan or the Holley pan. Just to clear the steering. I will post up some pics of the bay tomorrow when I'm not on my phone.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:42 AM

Heres what Im fighting with the engine bay. For such a huge car the engine bay was pretty much setup just to work with the original 429. Rear crossover steering...

Front and rear heat and a/c. Rear has seperate controls in the rear. Im getting rid of all the rear stuff. And replacing the front with something different. Either a newer retrofit or Vintage air. Will worry about that later

Partition with power glass

Where the rear jump seats bolt in

Front floor pans after I cut out the bad. Have some 16 ga. templates to cut out for this

Super excited to find this Lq4 came from a 4L80E truck. Saves me more money on my super tight budget since Im using a th400.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

I assume you bagging it?

Gonna be awesome
Old 01-02-2015, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by static low 92
I assume you bagging it?

Gonna be awesome
Yeah been in the mini truck scene for years. Always wanted to lay out a big boat of a car. Well, they don't get much bigger.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Trying to make some decisions on the build. And looking at lots of options. Most of which are regarding the fuel system. First challenge is the tank. Originally I was planning on running the Impala / Caprice tank. After some measuring I found the Limo and commercial chassis cars use the 58 Cadillac tank. So Caprice tank won't fit. So now I'm down to a few options. Budget is a huge deal here. Trying to spend as little as possible on stuff like this. I can use a 25 gal 87-91 Suburban/Blazer tank. It is 3 inches taller then stock. But other dimensions are spot on, baffled for efi, and stock pickup will work great. Might have to massage the trunk floor to get it as high as possible. Second option is sumping my stock tank. It would need a good cleaning. Been sitting for years. But I do have 2 of these tanks. Obviously no hard launches or cornering with this. But it will be bagged. And third option is using a free fuel cell I have. Not ideal but it will work. Of course there's Tanks Inc and similar setups. But trying to save a dollar where I can
Old 01-04-2015, 10:07 AM

Next issue is the fuel lines. This one should be a simple fix. I am thinking with this huge of a car running 1 line the length of the car is a good idea. Of course my lq4 is a return system. So I'm assuming 04-05 Flex fuel rail is my best bet with keeping the stock intake? I'm planning on hardline for most of the fuel line. Anyone had problems with using hardline?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Staging Lane

what size is the stock fuel line? i've seen a lot of guys on here use the stock fuel line in their project car for the return side and then upgrade the supply side to something a little bigger.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The truck manifold / alternator will not fit under hood. Big car but engine bay layout makes it alil more work to get a non Cadillac engine in it
Old 01-04-2015, 01:31 PM

Glad to see your on my thread...I was curious about your fuel setup. You sumped your stock tank right? I guess I will start hunting for a cheap car intake. After seeing a x frame Brookwood wagon and a few other cars using truck intake I had hopes of saving money and using the 02 Escalade engine cover
Old 01-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by battmann
what size is the stock fuel line? i've seen a lot of guys on here use the stock fuel line in their project car for the return side and then upgrade the supply side to something a little bigger.
Stock fuel line is junk... Bad parts cut out and hose spliced in etc.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes did a sump in my stock tank with a small baffle. I tried to run the truck intake even if I cut a inch out of front crossmember it would still make contact with hood and oil pan with steering .got my car intake for 150 and reman injectors for another 150 then ev1 pugs to put on truck harness. Ran all new coated hard line 3/8 supply and return
Old 01-05-2015, 07:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ShortyFON
Yeah been in the mini truck scene for years. Always wanted to lay out a big boat of a car. Well, they don't get much bigger.
I am still a mini trucker too. lol

I assume in your forum name is Freaks of Nature?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by static low 92
I am still a mini trucker too. lol

I assume in your forum name is Freaks of Nature?
Yessir, member since 2009. My brother and his buddy started the Va. Chapter

My last truck...

Quick Reply: 64 Cadillac Fleetwood Limo (Newbie Alert)