Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project NakedFox: '89 Mustang Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car is DONE!

Going to pick it up from the tuner tomorrow (monday). Before we get to the power numbers, there are a few things to update on:

Interior was capped off. I am happy with the simple and clean look. I think it turned out great!

Alignment was also completed. I am going to have to figure out something with the caster/camber as i feel like I need more, but we will see how it does.

I will post the dyno sheet tomorrow.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Interior looks great.

Looks like the Dakota Digital VHX gauges. Like them?
For some reason (maybe Instagram?) I thought you had grabbed one of the LMR cupholder center consoles.
And you tinted the windows.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by modernbeat
Interior looks great.

Looks like the Dakota Digital VHX gauges. Like them?
For some reason (maybe Instagram?) I thought you had grabbed one of the LMR cupholder center consoles.
And you tinted the windows.
They are the vhx series. I was hesitant at first because I wanted more of the race car look, but they really look great in person and have a lot of awesome features.

Windows were tinted with a ceramic film 35% just for heat as the car doesn’t have a/c
Old 07-23-2018, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

The NT03s look frickin' awesome on the car! Definitely looking forward to the dyno numbers.

Originally Posted by Z28-4-Chris
Alignment was also completed. I am going to have to figure out something with the caster/camber as i feel like I need more, but we will see how it does.
Are those alignment numbers with the adjustments all maxed out? Can you post some pictures of the final installed orientation of the C/C plates (viewed from overhead, looking down on top of the strut tower)?

From looking at pics in older posts, it looks like your driver side main C/C plate is flipped. If you look at the diagram on page 2 of the install instructions, the more sharply angled cut should be towards the engine bay rather than towards the fender. I'm not sure how much that would impact the alignment numbers.

The other thing to look at is the orientation of the bearing plates. I had a shop install mine backwards, which means they won't slide back as far and you can't get as much positive caster. With better pics of your C/C plates it'll be easy to see if you've got the same thing going on as I did.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
The NT03s look frickin' awesome on the car! Definitely looking forward to the dyno numbers.

Are those alignment numbers with the adjustments all maxed out? Can you post some pictures of the final installed orientation of the C/C plates (viewed from overhead, looking down on top of the strut tower)?

From looking at pics in older posts, it looks like your driver side main C/C plate is flipped. If you look at the diagram on page 2 of the install instructions, the more sharply angled cut should be towards the engine bay rather than towards the fender. I'm not sure how much that would impact the alignment numbers.

The other thing to look at is the orientation of the bearing plates. I had a shop install mine backwards, which means they won't slide back as far and you can't get as much positive caster. With better pics of your C/C plates it'll be easy to see if you've got the same thing going on as I did.
good call. The caster/camber plates are made by afco, not maximum. I will look at the literature I have on them to verify correct orientation.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Numbers are in. Max effort pull peaked at 588/521.

we backed timing out a little bit and settled at 565/505.

Very happy with how controlled and stable the car feels, and the power delivery is insane.

Engine setup (for anyone who missed it)

6.0 (9.6:1)
LS3 heads
LS9 cam
stock upper/lower pulley
T56
3.55 rear end

8psi on 93oct.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Amazing car, congrats.

Am I wrong in thinking that that torque drop off looks a little extreme? I dont know much about these factory blowers BTW.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Amazing car, congrats.

Am I wrong in thinking that that torque drop off looks a little extreme? I dont know much about these factory blowers BTW.
thanks! The Tq curve is measured on the right side of the graph, not the left. 521 to 480 isn’t much of a drop imo

Last edited by Z28-4-Chris; 07-23-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Amazing car, congrats.

It's because the HP and TQ scales are different.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm late to the party, but is the RHD Blazer master cylinder off set so it's closer to the shock tower? I've heard a few people use it, but wasn't sure the exact reasoning.
I had originally planned on going hydroboost, but after driving my GF's dad's Diesel Sierra with HB, I'm not feeling it.

Jay
Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

^^^ And related to that, what did it take to fit the Vette booster? Bolt pattern on the firewall is different, I assume? How about the rod to connect to the brake pedal - any changes required there?
Old 07-29-2018, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JayinMI
I'm late to the party, but is the RHD Blazer master cylinder off set so it's closer to the shock tower? I've heard a few people use it, but wasn't sure the exact reasoning.
I had originally planned on going hydroboost, but after driving my GF's dad's Diesel Sierra with HB, I'm not feeling it.

Jay
Yes, and the fact that the threads are on the left side of the master.

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
^^^ And related to that, what did it take to fit the Vette booster? Bolt pattern on the firewall is different, I assume? How about the rod to connect to the brake pedal - any changes required there?
It fit perfectly---- in the sense that I did not have to beat the shock towers in to fit others (93 cobra).

New holes had to be drilled and the rod had to be modified to accept the pedal as well. I really enjoy the pedal feel i get from the C6 booster. Its more progressive and not a "on/off" situation when pressing the pedal. It makes street driving perfect, but when i need to get on the brakes the stopping power is def there.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What’s the part number to that sound system. Do you happen to know it. How do you like it.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dmracing
What’s the part number to that sound system. Do you happen to know it. How do you like it.
Its 40PXIBT50.2 and it sounds great. It's not going to compare to a full sound system as it only has two door speakers and tweeters but it definitely fits my needs. A little amp is used to power the for speakers, and it's bluetooth only. Awesome stuff!
Old 08-22-2018, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Took the car to its first event after being finished over the weekend.

Optima Batteries DriveAutoX at Gateway Motorsports Park.

In order to help promote my friend's business and add some vintage feel to my car, we added a Motorstate inspired livery for this event. It will also stay on for LSFest in Bowling Green KY for the weekend.

Drove the car 2 hours there and back and it was flawless on the intestate cruising at 80 mph.

I learned that the suspension is too soft and cannot control the body roll to my liking. Additionally, the front struts are out of travel and were sometimes bottoming out on hard turn-ins and bumps. I have ordered Ridetech front coilovers and a rear shock and spring combination spec'ed for the IRS and the weight of my car.

Here are a few pictures!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****, that looks amazing.
Nicely done sir, its just perfect.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tig
Holy ****, that looks amazing.
Nicely done sir, its just perfect.
Thank you sir!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Man, I wish I could find a low mileage LSA blower for only $650.00 WTF? LOL
Old 11-24-2018, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Man, I wish I could find a low mileage LSA blower for only $650.00 WTF? LOL
it was bought 4 years ago lol. This was before the craze happened
Old 11-26-2018, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome FOX!

I miss my 92 Coupe, my favorite vehicle ever and I have owned more than 35 since 1976, really liked the utter simplicity of the interior, sharp edged body lines that still looks classy to me today.. Nothing more than 3.73's, Motorsport shorties, lowering springs and Flowmaster mufflers, tons of fun. An 89 Hatch was my first venture into the world of FI and single serpentine belt systems and I was hooked.

Quick Reply: Project NakedFox: '89 Mustang Coupe