Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Impala Turbo LY6/4L80e Swap - 798 RWHP @ 17 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutchman427
That boat moves man. I love it!! Phenomenal Build! I would love to do a build like yours with a 1960-1970 Cadillac Coupe Deville, only thing different would be I would want a T-56 set-up. I like the way it looks with the Welds. Your car would look sick with a set of Weld RT-S's!
Thanks dude. Before I found this car I was looking at 65-66 Coupes with the plans of a stock cruiser like this car. It may have ended up with the same drivetrain you see here but I could not find a clean one in the price range I wanted. I am happy I found this car though, essentially the blue collar Coupe DeVille. Funny you mention the T-56. I was just thinking about what this car would be like with a stick. I will preface this with the fact that I am a stick guy through and through. I think that a stick would make this car less fun. Yes, I said it. The cool part about this turbo combo it feels like it has one gear. Every shift just feels like the gear before. A stick would take away from that aspect that makes this car so fun to drive.

The wheels are a hangup due cost as usual. I have been eyeing the black center RT-S with a reverse stagger. I love they way they look with 18" in front and a 15" in back. It's just big money though and the car needs some safety upgrades first.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:12 PM
10 Second Club

I think a wheel combo similar to this would look killer.

Last edited by alocker; 12-24-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by alocker
I think a wheel combo similar to this would look killer.

Agreed!

Andrew
Old 11-16-2015, 02:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Very nice build job. I always appreciate owner built cars especially when done very cleanly. And effectively.
Too bad winter is here, I imagine you are jonesing for more passes and getting all that sorted out.

I'm curious about your injector duty cycle.
I'm running what I believe to be similar power numbers. Or whatever it takes to push 3400lbs to 149mph.
I'm also running ID1000's on E85.
But at 60 base. Typical boost referenced setup and I'm at 100% DC.

Maybe your fuel system guy could chime in. You likely have way more pump than I do. Admittedly I'm pushing mine beyond capability.
But the numbers just don't seem to add up.

It's prob in your thread, but what ECU are you running?

Ron
Old 11-16-2015, 06:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
Very nice build job. I always appreciate owner built cars especially when done very cleanly. And effectively.
Too bad winter is here, I imagine you are jonesing for more passes and getting all that sorted out.

I'm curious about your injector duty cycle.
I'm running what I believe to be similar power numbers. Or whatever it takes to push 3400lbs to 149mph.
I'm also running ID1000's on E85.
But at 60 base. Typical boost referenced setup and I'm at 100% DC.

Maybe your fuel system guy could chime in. You likely have way more pump than I do. Admittedly I'm pushing mine beyond capability.
But the numbers just don't seem to add up.

It's prob in your thread, but what ECU are you running?

Ron
Ron,

I am for sure jonesing for a 10 second time slip. I really need brakes and a driveshaft loop. I also want to finish a couple thinks like coating and wrapping the hotside. I rushed that stuff to get it tuned before the snow falls. I am glad I did and was able to shake the car down before winter.

I am running two ZL1 fuel pump modules controlled by the Vapoworx PWM "Pressureworx" system. The second pump turns on via a Hobbs switch at 3 PSI. At idle it produces around 50PSI at about 12" of vacuum. In vacuum, the system will increase 1 PSI per 2" of vacuum lost. So at zero its about 56 PSI. When in boost it goes up 1 to 1. So at 15 it might be as high as 70 PSI, not sure because I haven't looked at it while driving.

My tuner said the injectors were around 80% duty cycle. He did not touch the fuel pressure during tuning. I am running the stock 2008 Express van E38 with a 3 bar SD tune. I would be looking at your system as a whole. the nice thing about the returnless is the simplicity in the plumbing. 2 -6 into a y then a single -8 all the way to the rail. Not much to cause restrictions. I would also check your pump voltages. I have maybe 4 feet of wiring between the battery/controller/pump so my losses are minimal. Everything is crimped AND soldered.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Found a nice deal on Ebay for a new MSD 8733 2 Step. This along with a set of 255/60/15 Radial TA's will by my 2016 Forth of July grand finale.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Alex..........You should get to know Larry @ ASSC Racing in Lake Villa........one of the best Tuners around......

Ken
Old 11-16-2015, 07:46 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kwhizz
Alex..........You should get to know Larry @ ASSC Racing in Lake Villa........one of the best Tuners around......

Ken
I know he helps the guys at Legend Racing in Schaumburg with their LS stuff but I don't know much else about him. What I really need is someone to teach me how to tune. I hate not being able to get inside and change stuff or see what's going on.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

I know he helps the guys at Legend Racing in Schaumburg with their LS stuff but I don't know much else about him. What I really need is someone to teach me how to tune. I hate not being able to get inside and change stuff or see what's going on.
More reason to do a Holley Dominator in the future. It'll be the cats ***, especially with the auto trans.

Andrew
Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
More reason to do a Holley Dominator in the future. It'll be the cats ***, especially with the auto trans.

Andrew
Between Tuning, Wideband, Boost control, and harness I should have gone that direction. That damn hindsight.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

What software? HPTuners or EFI Live?

I am tuning my own with HPT.

Ron
Old 11-16-2015, 12:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
What software? HPTuners or EFI Live?

I am tuning my own with HPT.

Ron
I am pretty sure HPT was used.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Between Tuning, Wideband, Boost control, and harness I should have gone that direction. That damn hindsight.
Sell off what you have and have a nice winter project.

Andrew
Old 11-16-2015, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

Let's put it this way.........Larry tuned the ASSC Mustang that went to Orlando for the World Street Nationals and they won the Pro Class three of the four years they went there.......The other year they were runner up to Shannon Jenkins,,,,,,,,,

Ken
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PontiacPOWA
Nice car! My brother an I did a stock 4.8 and 4l80e swap with intentions of boost in a 68 Biscayne this past summer. Its not quite as nice as yours and a budget build lol so its a little messy under the hood. It was pretty straight forward and not too difficult, but let me know if you need any pictures or advice. Good luck!
I'll take those pictures, I have a 1968 pontiac CATALINA
Old 12-15-2015, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

My winter has officially started with the teardown again. It's ridiculous to think I purchased a big heavy car like this just so I wouldn't feel the need to modify it. It's had a major project every year since I purchased it in 2012.

First on the list was the torque converter lockup. I spent extra money on a triple disk converter so I am determined to get it working. I thought the input shaft O-ring might be the culprit since it was hard to get the converter seated on it plus I had the debacle with the loose converter getting seized on the crank. I called Jake for one last tip and he said first thing to check is the TCC apply valve and make sure its not stuck. I drained the fluid and dropped the pan. I was amazed at how clean the fluid still is and the fact that there is zero sediment in the pan. Usually from break in you get some but this thing is spotless. The fluid looks like that because its clear John Deere fluid with about a quart of Dextron mixed in.

I pulled the TCC PWM solenoid and was confused at first because I stuck a screwdriver in and it was moving but seemed really far in there. I quick check with a mirror revealed the spring was facing the access hole where the valve should be. At this point I dropped the valve body to confirm that I installed the valve and spring backwards as shown in the photo. The spring goes in first and the valve second. I am 99% sure this was my lockup issue.

Super happy that I don't have to remove the trans I got to work on the hot side. The headers, crossover, and turbine housing will get sent out for high temp ceramic. The Downpipe will get some lava wrap. I have an urge to throw a billet wheel on the turbo, you know....because racecar but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

The new version of Holley software was released today and it gives the ability to run an ethenol sensor and adjust boost, fuel, and timing accordingly. Just saying...

Andrew
Old 12-15-2015, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The new version of Holley software was released today and it gives the ability to run an ethenol sensor and adjust boost, fuel, and timing accordingly. Just saying...

Andrew
I almost pulled the trigger on HP Tuners but kept thinking about your prodding on the Holley. That would be the hot setup right there. It will have to wait though, I just blew a mad wad of cash on some parts that will hopefully show up in about a week.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Alocker,
That " line" you mentioned kinda disappears once you toss on a turbo. LOL Do you recall the inlet size and length of that airfilter ?

Thanks,
Jim
Old 12-16-2015, 05:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Alocker,
That " line" you mentioned kinda disappears once you toss on a turbo. LOL Do you recall the inlet size and length of that airfilter ?

Thanks,
Jim
Yep, everything is out the window on this one. To the outsider it has to look like insanity. It looks like it even to me.

That is an AFE 5.5" inlet dry filter that is 9" long I believe. Nice product.

Quick Reply: 1968 Impala Turbo LY6/4L80e Swap - 798 RWHP @ 17 PSI