Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 Fox body coupe LS project upcoming...need a push in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Fox body coupe LS project upcoming...need a push in the right direction

First off....I'll introduce myself. My name is Todd and I live in Ohio. I'm not new to cars but very new to my upcoming project. I would say I have average to high average mechanical abilities but have ZERO fabrication abilities!

My recent cars have been several Mustang GT's and just sold my C6 Corvette. Most of my upgrades have been bolt-on stuff up to this point.

My current project is a 87 Mustang coupe 5.0 5spd. car. It has a little rust to take care of which is the first order of business. My friends have just about convinced me to do a LS swap. Here is where I have some questions.

I have searched the crap out of this but I still struggle to get my head around all the technical jargon that is used as well as what exactly I need and which vehicles I should start looking for parts. So far I will need a new cross member I believe.

Where I'm lost is what transmission will work as well as what harness and computer. I'm leaning for a 6.0L. Can they all the parts come out of the same car? My goal for the car is a 5/6 speed very fun street car with seldom track duty.

Is there a master list someone has as far as which vehicles are most compatible? Which transmissions out of what vehicle, which harness and computer?

Thanks in advance and I'm sure there will be many more dumb questions to follow.

Todd
Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there bunch of fox body cars on here start reading. the more parts you get from donor the better you be. If get a DBW throttle you need tach box, gas pedal & wiring, pcm to match. the more you learn first you"ll get better results.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks...I've been reading for sure.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bp-automotive.com/LS1_Wiring__Harness.html

Is a good site to look around at for the wiring end of things. Their component identification http://www.bp-automotive.com/Compone...ification.html page might help you out with some of the questions that might pop up.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Cool, Thanks Jay. Can someone give me and idea what vehicles to really look at as far as motor/transmission combos? I'd really like a 6.0 5/6speed combo. I wouldn't be apposed to a 5.3 either if its more economical/available. Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM
Teching In

Also, where is the engine code located? Is it a VIN derivative? Thanks
Old 01-07-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for 5.3's look at 1500 series trucks, tahoe's, suburbans...
for 6.0's look for 2500 series trucks & escalades
I don't think any LS series motor came mated to a 5 speed manuals. T-56's are 6 speeds and came in camaro's, firebirds, gto's..... The trucks had 4L60e's or 4L80e's (automatics).
Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Are you wanting an iron block or aluminum block 6.0? Iron is much more common, cheaper, and is almost negligibly heavier in the grand scheme of things.

If you're going to do any custom tune at all, the motor doesn't have to have a 6-speed in it from the factory. So a factory automatic drivetrain should fit the bill.

If you're wanting a 6.0, iron block... Find almost any 2001+ 2500 Chevy truck/van and you'll probably be able to locate one. 2005+ is a drive by wire, which requires more pieces from the donor vehicle, but has floating wrist pins on the pistons and I think a little better rods. If you're not going to be throwing a lot of power at it, find a 2002 2500 silverado 6.0, which "I think" is the simplest option.

Quick Reply: 87 Fox body coupe LS project upcoming...need a push in the right direction