Sponsored by:

Dakota digital vss wiring question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015 | 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Well this is clear as mud.
"still have the speedo in the cluster cable driven"
So is your speedo cable driven (mechanical) or electric?
If it's mechanical, run the cable to it.
If it's electric, have you tried running it off the ecu output?

Originally Posted by NV Z 28
Well I need the box to run my stock cluster. Is there a was of splicing the wires from the speedo sensor to the PCM so that it doesn't stall at stops? I dont need the PCM to read actual MPH is just need it to read something when the car is moving and 0 when the car is not moving.
Old 01-22-2015 | 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by garys 68
Well this is clear as mud.
"still have the speedo in the cluster cable driven"
So is your speedo cable driven (mechanical) or electric?
If it's mechanical, run the cable to it.
If it's electric, have you tried running it off the ecu output?
Basically its a stand alone unit and has nothing to do with the LS PCM. The DD VSS threads into the trans and is electric, it reads the stock th400 tooth speedo gear. The speed sensor then has a harness that plugs into the ECD-100 (need only power and ground to work) which has a cable coming off the other end of it to clip into the mustang speedo in the cluster. So all this unit does is allow me to run my stock speedo in the stock cluster and I can adjust it to the correct MPH. That way I dont have to swap out speedo gears to calibrate my stock cluster. I can just press the button coming off the DD ECD-100 box.

My problem is I have no way of giving a speed signal to the LS PCM so that it will go into a idle mode when it is at 0 mph. I'm wondering if I can splice the wires coming off the DD VSS and run them up to the PCM so that the PCM at least reads 0 when stopped and something when moving (doesn't matter what MPH just something at least). But I am not sure that can be done with the DD VSS.
Old 01-23-2015 | 12:53 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

Think I get it now.
Personally, I would throw away the box, hook speedo through the VSS to the trans. If needed, adjust trans speedo output with driven gear and/or speedo ratio adapter (link below). Wire the VSS to ecu as described earlier.
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/sp...n_______va.htm

BTW, I'm using one of these adapters on a T10. Works nicely.
Old 01-23-2015 | 10:07 AM
On The Tree

I wish it was that simple. It's much too late to get rid of the box, not to mention it was pretty pricy.
Old 01-23-2015 | 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie
15 Year Member

I've seen others ask about splicing the VSS into the ecu as well as something else, but never saw posts with successful results. The ecu requires a minimum voltage to read, not sure how the box will affect that.
You could just buy another pass thru VSS dedicated for the ecu. It should screw right into the output of your existing one.
Old 01-23-2015 | 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Yeah that might be the route I have to go.
Old 02-21-2020 | 11:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NV Z 28
Basically its a stand alone unit and has nothing to do with the LS PCM. The DD VSS threads into the trans and is electric, it reads the stock th400 tooth speedo gear. The speed sensor then has a harness that plugs into the ECD-100 (need only power and ground to work) which has a cable coming off the other end of it to clip into the mustang speedo in the cluster. So all this unit does is allow me to run my stock speedo in the stock cluster and I can adjust it to the correct MPH. That way I dont have to swap out speedo gears to calibrate my stock cluster. I can just press the button coming off the DD ECD-100 box.

My problem is I have no way of giving a speed signal to the LS PCM so that it will go into a idle mode when it is at 0 mph. I'm wondering if I can splice the wires coming off the DD VSS and run them up to the PCM so that the PCM at least reads 0 when stopped and something when moving (doesn't matter what MPH just something at least). But I am not sure that can be done with the DD VSS.

I know I am bringing back to life a 5 yr old thread.....was wondering if the above worked?

I am almost done my LS swap into my 69 442....I have sent my pcm off to get it tuned and was wondering if I left the Dakota Digital Portion of the gauges and VSS sensor the way it was before the swap where it was just connected from the th400 to the black DD box and plugs with a ethernet type plug to gauge cluster.....would ot work? Or would the car stall? Has anybody had any success by just splicing wires from the connection where the VSS is plugged into the DD box and have those wires run out to the 2 Pinours on the PCM? Also if anyone is familiar with HP tuners what settings would be correct (pulse?) For the VSS in PCM????

Thanks guys

The motor is an LS1 out of a 2002 Corvette going into a 69 Olds 442 with a TH400.

Quick Reply: Dakota digital vss wiring question.