Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The chop saw is taking it like a champ. If I was going into production work I would definitely try harder in finding a band saw.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brawls43
The best diy bandsaw option is a portable bandsaw and the swag offroad kit. They make them for multiple saw options from Harbor Freight to Milwaukee. Love this saw kit.

http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Port...ries_c_35.html
I have the HF Bauer saw and the Swag kit. One of the best tool purchases I've made in recent years.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:58 AM
TECH Regular

A bit of midweek shenanigans to tide us over until Saturday. I whipped up another 180 degrees worth of lobster tail. I've been trying different methods of deburring them to see which is the most effective. So far a bench grinder/sander takes the cake for doing the outsides and adding a small bevel. The insides are a but trickier. I've tried a roloc sandpaper cartridge and those get destroyed every couple cuts. An abrasive stone or a carbide burr seem to be the best option so far, but I'm open to some input on how you guys prep your stainless.

After viewing terry's build I finally got jealous enough and decided to hop on the CAD wagon. After downloading fusion 360, I whipped up quick rear coil sleeves for car. They're still rather crude as I don't have very much time spent at YouTube university yet, but I hope to utilize the software further in my build, starting with my intercooler end tanks.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 97 Likes on 86 Posts

Damn man, I don't have any input on de-buring SS but it's quite impressive seeing where this build has come from. Starting out in an old *** shed essentially and welding on a kitchen table to teaching yourself CAD to further your design's. Looking good!
Old 03-22-2018, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by biketopia
Damn man, I don't have any input on de-buring SS but it's quite impressive seeing where this build has come from. Starting out in an old *** shed essentially and welding on a kitchen table to teaching yourself CAD to further your design's. Looking good!
Thanks for the kind words! As cliche as it sounds, "I started from the bottom and now I'm here" comes to mind. Without this build I might not have had a portfolio and without the portfolio i would not habe my job. A lot of good things have come from this build and I'm excited to see what opportunities it opens for me in the future.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddy-2000RS
Thanks for the kind words! As cliche as it sounds, "I started from the bottom and now I'm here" comes to mind. Without this build I might not have had a portfolio and without the portfolio i would not habe my job. A lot of good things have come from this build and I'm excited to see what opportunities it opens for me in the future.
Take notes, kids. Our efforts are not for naught.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Take notes, kids. Our efforts are not for naught.
This means the world to me. It's been a long and arduous process and I cannot wait to reap the fruits of my labor.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Accomplished my progress goal this weekend, thanks in part to prepping those pies mid week. I dove right in and welded the lower portion of the turbo flange. I welded the inside and the outside of the flange, I wasn't sure if this was the norm, but I intend to port match it with the added material.

I was a little more adept with the cuts this go around and the passenger crossover came out much cleaner with fewer bends.

I added a v band right before the tube snakes under the pan to make maintenance easier.

I spent a lot of time choosing the collector location in order to hopefully get as equal length runners as possible (rumble fan bois eat your heart out).

And all together.

I prepped my 180° bends for next week by marking out the CLR on paper. I was quite disappointed to find that ace race parts either screwed up this batch of bends or labeled them on the website incorrectly. They're sold as 3" centerline radius. Upon measuring they're actually a 2.75" radius. This isn't a big deal, I just found it odd that there quality control didn't catch this.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 751 Likes on 407 Posts

Good work mang...i enjoy seeing your progress n upbeat attitude thruout this build. My build is going great, but it sure does make me miserable at times.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rkupon1
Good work mang...i enjoy seeing your progress n upbeat attitude thruout this build. My build is going great, but it sure does make me miserable at times.
Thanks!

The time it takes to build everything yourself with a moderate budget is daunting at best. Thinking about driving it keeps me going.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Everything looks great man! Keep it up, I'm taking notes. I'm curious though, why did you go with the angle cuts on the tubes vs. mandrel bends?
Old 03-28-2018, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Everything looks great man! Keep it up, I'm taking notes. I'm curious though, why did you go with the angle cuts on the tubes vs. mandrel bends?
Thanks!

I went with the angled cuts on the crossover to have more freedom with the radius of the bends to get it as tight as possible to the pan and it's surroundings. With pre-bent mandrels your bend radius is already set in stone so you're limited to a certain degree. The primaries will be all mandrel bends though.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They make different radius bends. Usually 3", 6" and 9" for the 2.5" stuff. But I get that you can choose the radius you want doing it this way...
Old 03-28-2018, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jfg455
They make different radius bends. Usually 3", 6" and 9" for the 2.5" stuff. But I get that you can choose the radius you want doing it this way...
With a few more kits under my belt I'll be able to have a better idea of what to order and what not to order based on the radius, amount, etc. I definitely ordered too much this go around.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

You can also pie cut a radius. Just angle cut your straights that match the pie cuts because the more you pie cut a radius the more oval and larger the opening will be.
Here's a picture kinda showing a really tight radius I had to make pie cutting a radius.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

That is a nifty idea. I will likely utilize that in the future.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Truth be told I spent all week dreading the though of having to start my primaries. Mandrel bends themselves are new to me, on top of the fact that I've never done a manifold other than my roommates turbo bike.

That back portion came out good but it wasn't exactly an extensive project. I had cut a few bends, a 90, 45, and 30, at work this week in order to get a bit of a head start. I started to layout some bends on the first primary and immediately got overwhelmed trying to decide which angles I needed and where to cut them. At this point I had to step back, rather discouraged I might add. I figured that I would complete one, maybe two runners.

After a bit of thinking I came to the conclusion that I was over thinking it and just needed to eyeball and go, And that's what I did. I whipped up the runner closest to the steering Column seeing as how the driver's side is the tightest. Momentum took hold and I went on a rampage so to speak.

Rarely am I happy with my own work, but I can truly say I am beyond happy with how this manifold came out. Albeit I did break my weld cup, thankfully I do have a spare. I'll have to order another, I might try a Pyrex one this time around.

Since the juices were flowing, I started the passenger side as well. The back runner required two pies to get a tight fit, the radius of the mandrels weren't tight enough, and I didn't want to elongate one and then fight with it welding.

I am aware that the runners are not exactly equal length. Ideal world, I would run the primaries up and over the heads. Alas, my engine is tiny and the hood line is really low for such things.

Side note since most of you guys are into cars in general. I've had the opportunity to drive some pretty cool cars at work, already checking off a 964 911, and a LP640 Murcialego. Friday I got to drive a 94-96 Impala SS and I will say I was very disappointed. It was like driving an anemic pillow with the cool factor of the Motley Crue. Monday we're getting a Ferrari 599GTO and again that's on the list. I'm pumped.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

stick with the ceramic cups, the pyrex ones are even more prone to break
Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by truckdoug
stick with the ceramic cups, the pyrex ones are even more prone to break
Interesting. I wasnt expecting this one to break it the way it did. I removed it while it was relatively warm and think it might have been more brittle due to the heat. I don't have that strong of a grip.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddy-2000RS

Side note since most of you guys are into cars in general. I've had the opportunity to drive some pretty cool cars at work, already checking off a 964 911, and a LP640 Murcialego. Friday I got to drive a 94-96 Impala SS and I will say I was very disappointed. It was like driving an anemic pillow with the cool factor of the Motley Crue. Monday we're getting a Ferrari 599GTO and again that's on the list. I'm pumped.

Hey! Motley Crue was kinda cool. Once. A while ago.

A Lotus Esprit is a car I'd like to drive someday. More than in and out of the garage, anyway. Don't even care if it's a V8. lol

Nice work on the Subie.

Jay

Quick Reply: Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project