Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

After scouring the the local parts stores for a dipstick and tube the dealership actually had one in stock and it was the same price as rock auto shipped so my cheap-*** was sold. That was the last thing I needed to complete engine and assembly and that I just did.

I installed the heads with a bit of copper spray on the gaskets because I don't like to live THAT dangerously. Chased out the the deck holes and ran in the factory bolts again. Everything torqued fine, no sudden looseness from a TTY bolt that went a bit far. Fingers and toes crossed it will suck down 10 pounds like a fish in a drought.

Installing the pan meant cleaning it which meant a trip to the bathtub where a leak down test ensued. Low and behold that thing leaked like a siv. There were a few pinholes from some obviously dirty welds. A bit of wire brushing and a few beads and the pan could now survive the gulf coast. It was a bit humbling to have my first parts "failure" before even starting the car but i would rather find out now than later. Before final install I noted the new height of the pick up in relation to the windage tray and the relation between the dip stick and pick up. I should be very close to stock capacity if my math proves right.

I read many a horror story regarding LS balancers and the various woes of removal and installation. Coming off was a breeze a puller and going on was just as easy thanks to a torch. I heated the hub for about 30 seconds, greased the seal and it slid on with an audible thunk. That's a win in my book.

The truck intake has a few ports that I won't be incorpating that needed to be plugged. The first to go was I think might be an EGR return of some sort. Either way it's very closely sized to a GM IAT (Thanks Denmah for the wiki) at .524" and the port in the intake being .489". A little bit of carbide action (I just bought the Eastwood set, very pleased) and it slides right in.

A dab of permatex cold weld, none of that plebian JB Weld.

And it slides right in, fully exposed to the incoming airstream.

The next one on the hit list was the port next to the throttle body. Mine is built into the throttle body itself so I don't see the need for two. I tapped this one for a set screw, I didn't have any pipe plugs on hand so it went in with cold weld as well. I believe it was a 5/16" plug for those curious.

The last port was the MAP sensor. I have seen various ways of securing the sensor under boost pressure. The most popular was using a auxiliary bracket between the cover posts. I felt that left some room to leak so I tapped it for a barb. A 1/4 NPT tap goes right in without further enlargement of the hole.

Planning ahead I knew I needed a brake light switch so I snagged a momentary switch from the hardware store and found a place on the pedal box it can be mounted. I knocked out this simple bracket in fusion to house the switch.

And cut it out of some aluminum. I'll get it mounted this weekend to show you guys.

I also decided on a clutch. I'm going with a Monster level 3 kit I believe. It's the 700/700 capable, AP slave, and billet flywheel. I'm going to go with the heavier one as that is what the monster rep recommended as well as my own theories.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any updates? Haven't seen an updates from you on IG lately either. Hope all is well.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JayinMI
Any updates? Haven't seen an updates from you on IG lately either. Hope all is well.
I went through some stuff and made the decision to part ways with the car. I sold it as a roller 2 weeks ago and parted out the rest. While I would have loved to see it through and finished it wasn't the time or the place for me. To all those that followed along, thank you. I've made several friends along the journey and don't regret this decision in the slightest.

I still have the ECU/harness (EFI Source Gold box/24x LS harness) and the fuel pumps/rails of anyone would like those for a deal.

Last edited by Teddy-2000RS; 07-01-2019 at 07:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (08-09-2021)
Old 07-01-2019, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Sorry to hear you had to part ways with it and went through whatever drove that. So what project is next?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Sorry to hear it.

I hope circumstances come together for you to take on another ambitious project soon. You've clearly got the drive and the skills to make something great.
Old 08-09-2021, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brawls43
Nooooooooooooooooooooo! Sorry to hear you had to part ways with it and went through whatever drove that. So what project is next?
Originally Posted by NSFW
Sorry to hear it.

I hope circumstances come together for you to take on another ambitious project soon. You've clearly got the drive and the skills to make something great.
Totally a late response but long story short everything is gone from the Impreza (minus the seat belts, steering wheel, and a few other odds and ends). I got out of cars as a living and now do R&D machining for a government contractor. I also bought a BMW E36 M3 which I have been just doing basic stuff too. When I get a garage space of my own there is a good possibility it will end up with a gen 4 6.0/6.2. I LS swapped a C10 for a friend so I know I can finish it this time around.
The following 3 users liked this post by Teddy-2000RS:
biketopia (08-10-2021), G Atsma (08-09-2021), NSFW (08-11-2021)

Quick Reply: Rowdy burnouts and loud noises: The LSX/Subaru swap project