Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

56 Ford F100 LS 5.3 swap - fuel in oil!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2015 | 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Old 05-10-2015 | 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

I need to get that MAF away from the fan and a filter on it asap. Anyone think this could be the problem?
Old 05-10-2015 | 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well things took a turn for the worst. I guess the bearings are shot, there's low oil pressure and it sounds like it's knocking from the driver side. (Internally). Doesn't sound like it did before.

Last edited by 91frppgt; 05-10-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2015 | 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Is there any way to check that The bearings are gone? When I changed the oil I did notice it had a "shimmer" to it out in the sun.
Old 05-10-2015 | 11:02 PM
Launching!

Fuel in the oil will do this to the bearings. Unfortunately you ran it for a fair bit of time with the fuel in the oil. 10 miles is a long time in Revolutions Per Minute.

If it is knocking you are likely going to have to tear it down. First step, drain oil and inspect. Second step, pull the filter and cut it open. You will likely find some metal in both, check the drain plug too.

Sorry to hear about this, it sucks.

Sean
Old 05-11-2015 | 06:51 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the help guys. i'm not sure what I will do at this point, probably throw it in storage for a while or try to unload it.
Old 05-11-2015 | 09:10 AM
Staging Lane

for future reference - do you guys think having the MAF open right behind the cooling fan could of made the PCM dump all this fuel in the cylinders causing this problem?
Old 05-11-2015 | 12:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 91frppgt
for future reference - do you guys think having the MAF open right behind the cooling fan could of made the PCM dump all this fuel in the cylinders causing this problem?
I doubt it. These injectors are known to be an issue when sitting for long periods of time. They will leak down and end up in the oil. I bet that you either have a fuel pressure regulator issue (Broken Diaphragm) or an injector stuck or leaking down.

I agree with the other fellas recommendation on here to pull the intake, prime the system and see what happens.

The most important thing here is to get the cause of the problem fixed. Dont just pull the motor and repair and put back in and run it cause you will get the same results.

Before you tear down is the best time to figure out the problem.

I had a fuel pressure regulator let go in a 5.0 motor when out wheeling once. It filled up the intake so bad with fuel that I had raw fuel dripping out of the air filter. Luckily we were able to get things cleaned up and drained out before any damage occured.

Dont moth ball it, it seems like a lot of work but better to either let it sit for a bit or just get after it. Often times the thought of doing a project is a lot worse that the project itself.

If I were local I would offer to come help.

Good Luck.

Sean
Old 05-11-2015 | 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 91frppgt
Personally, I don't think the fan on the MAF would cause the problem at least to that level.

SUPER BUMMER on the knock. It kills me to hear this news.

Hang in there! Can you solve the problem and swap out the long block? Seems like a good used long block isn't so costly, even if just an interim solution to get you up and running.

Doug
Old 05-11-2015 | 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hackster
I doubt it. These injectors are known to be an issue when sitting for long periods of time. They will leak down and end up in the oil. I bet that you either have a fuel pressure regulator issue (Broken Diaphragm) or an injector stuck or leaking down.

I agree with the other fellas recommendation on here to pull the intake, prime the system and see what happens.

The most important thing here is to get the cause of the problem fixed. Dont just pull the motor and repair and put back in and run it cause you will get the same results.

Before you tear down is the best time to figure out the problem.

I had a fuel pressure regulator let go in a 5.0 motor when out wheeling once. It filled up the intake so bad with fuel that I had raw fuel dripping out of the air filter. Luckily we were able to get things cleaned up and drained out before any damage occured.

Dont moth ball it, it seems like a lot of work but better to either let it sit for a bit or just get after it. Often times the thought of doing a project is a lot worse that the project itself.

If I were local I would offer to come help.

Good Luck.

Sean
I agree I need to get it figured out what the problem is. I did however change the regulator. I'm running a corvette regulator, i guess those could have a diaphragm in it, correct? I did have the intake unbolted, and I turned the key on but couldn't see any injectors leaking. I will try again before I remove the motor. BTW, thanks for your help!
Old 05-11-2015 | 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DW SD
Personally, I don't think the fan on the MAF would cause the problem at least to that level.

SUPER BUMMER on the knock. It kills me to hear this news.

Hang in there! Can you solve the problem and swap out the long block? Seems like a good used long block isn't so costly, even if just an interim solution to get you up and running.

Doug
Yeah i know, i'm still heartbroken over it I could go the whole junkyard block route, but honestly I don't want to. Since I got this motor out of a junkyard, with who knows how many miles. I ended up spending alot more $$$, but the only thing that was still from the "junkyard" was the block and rotation assembly. Everything else was replaced new. I am just out of money right now, and i'm storing the truck at my inlaws place and they are moving next month. I will have to either unload it, or store it for a while.
Old 05-11-2015 | 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

If the regulator is vacuum indexed (that type of regulator will have a vacuum connector on it and be mounted near the fuel rail) then it could leak fuel in to the intake. If it is the Corvette style regulator and fuel filter all in one, then it has no way to leak fuel in to the engine except through the injectors.

Doug
Old 05-11-2015 | 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

If the regulator is vacuum indexed (that type of regulator will have a vacuum connector on it and be mounted near the fuel rail) then it could leak fuel in to the intake. If it is the Corvette style regulator and fuel filter all in one, then it has no way to leak fuel in to the engine except through the injectors.

Doug
So it must be the injectors then. I don't see any other way it could leak. I did end up ordering a new set of FAST LS2 33lb injectors (stock OEM type), I will be saving these for sure when I build a new motor.
Old 05-11-2015 | 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Could the tune could be so far off that it is running super rich? I don't know enough about that.

If you pump up the fuel pressure, I'd guess any injector bleed down leak would be apparent pretty quickly. But, you'd have to have full fuel pressure. What I'd do is jumper the fuel pump with the intake manifold bolts off. Wait until you hear fuel being returned to the tank. Then closely inspect each injector.
Old 05-11-2015 | 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just mothball it for a bit, dont sell it! I have never heard good things about mail order tunes. Get the truck buttoned up and go get a real tuner to help you out. Sorry about the bad news
Old 05-12-2015 | 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 66Chevellelq4
Just mothball it for a bit, dont sell it! I have never heard good things about mail order tunes. Get the truck buttoned up and go get a real tuner to help you out. Sorry about the bad news
Well I'm starting to believe it's the tune. I pulled the intake again, and checked for a leaky injector but still couldn't find one. However when I pull the intake it smells like gas very badly! The motor has very low oil pressure, probably less than 20psi cold. I'm not hearing the "knocking" noise I heard a few days back. Although it hasn't ran that long. I was hoping the low oil pressure could be a clogged sending unit but I know better.
Old 05-12-2015 | 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

So I guess if I do decide to keep this, I need to get a new long block, get it all buttoned up and trailer it to a tuner. I don't see a injector leaking. Could a tune throw this much fuel at it? Is there any sensors going bad that could do this? Just trying to make sure I get everything done on my end, because I don't want to go down this road again.
Old 05-12-2015 | 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Bummer on oil pressure - that doesn't sound good. Did you change the oil again? How much material settled out of the oil you drained?

You changed injectors, right? I wonder if the tuner calibrated for the injectors.
Old 05-12-2015 | 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Bummer on oil pressure - that doesn't sound good. Did you change the oil again? How much material settled out of the oil you drained?

You changed injectors, right? I wonder if the tuner calibrated for the injectors.
I did change the oil. I cut the filter and didn't see any noticeable material. However the oil was very thin, almost like gas. Had a strong fuel smell to it, and it had a shimmer to it in the sunlight. I haven't changed the injectors yet. I do have a new set. When I got it tuned, I told the tuner about the ls2 injectors.
Old 05-12-2015 | 03:02 PM
Launching!

I would not start or run the truck until I got this sorted out. If you are up for some troubleshooting you could try this...

You know that you are getting fuel into the oil somehow. Disconnect starter and coil packs. Leave intake on the engine and bolted down.

Drain oil.

Install drain plug.

DO NOT START TRUCK

Prime the fuel system a few times for a couple of hours, pull the drain plug and see what you get.

This would eliminate any issues with the tune and prove that you were leaking fuel into the cylinder, intake or whatever else.

If its the tune, it would have to be super far off, like barely even running far off to be washing down the cylinder walls, past the rings and into the oil pan

Reading through this though, did you do anything with the pistons and rings when you put the engine together?

Sean

Quick Reply: 56 Ford F100 LS 5.3 swap - fuel in oil!