Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

56 Ford F100 LS 5.3 swap - fuel in oil!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 56 Ford F100 LS 5.3 swap - fuel in oil!

Hey guys, this has been a long road on this build. When I think it's about "street able", it comes back and bites me in the ***. So here's what I got going on. I finally got the truck hitting on all cylinders, it runs great. However it's losing oil pressure. When my mechanic put the cam in the motor, he replaced the oil pump and I bought a set of rebuilt 862 heads. Pretty much every sensor and seal is new on the motor. At first i thought something was clogging the filter, so I swapped it out for a wix and changed the oil with some Mobil 1 5w-30. Problem went away, the oil pressure would be around 30 idle and 60+ under load. However I did start noticing the truck reaking of fuel, and after it idles for 10 minutes it would just die. Like it's loading up on fuel. So yesterday I was out tinkering on it, start it up and notice the oil pressure is only around 20ish psi on a cold start, checked the fuel and it's very thin and reaks of gas. I'm thinking I may have a injector stuck open? I ordered a set of FAST stock ls2 injectors. The injectors on the motor now, I'm unsure of the condition. They look worn to me, and the screens on the end that it shoots fuel are dis colored black. I can also run my finger around the tailpipe and it's moist of fuel. I realize this could also be a tuning problem. My PCM is tuned by PCM4less. The truck doesn't overheat, and will run around 195 degrees all day long. Truck is also using a lot of gas. Idling in my driveway for about 2 hours total it's used over 10 gallons.
Cliff notes.
Change oil - oil psi is great and where it should be.
Run the truck for about 10miles and it's loading up on fuel. Oil is very thin and reaks of gas.
Repeat changing oil, after less than 10 miles it's doing the same thing again.

Last edited by 91frppgt; 05-09-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Staging Lane

I'm looking at the FAST 33lb ls2 injector part no.FAST#244-30332-8
Right now the truck is tuned for the stock ls2 injector, which is a 33lb injector. Will I have to get it retuned for these?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Is it possible that a vacuum leak somewhere could cause this? Or a PVC issue? I have a metco breather on the passenger valve cover and that's connected to the intake vacuum. The other vacuum port on the right side of the intake is blocked off. The only other vacuum port I'm aware of is the one in the back for the brake booster, which is connected. I'm fairly certain I torqued the intake down correctly. Just thinking outside the box here...
Old 05-09-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

pull the intake manifold leaving the injectors and rails installed and see if one or more of the injectors is leaking.
You could just lift the manifold enough to put a towel underneath and see if you are leaking fuel under pressure, but with the injectors not pulsing.

Don't hydraulic the engine, either trying to start it!
Doug
Old 05-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Staging Lane

What do you mean by hydraulic the engine Doug?

So just turn the key to the on position and let it prime the injectors right? Don't actually turn the motor over correct?
Old 05-09-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

fill a cylinder with fuel it won't compress (as it would with air) when you crank it over. you'll then bend a connecting rod.

Doug
Old 05-09-2015, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

yes, don't turn over the motor. Undo the intake manifold lift it up enough that you can see the injectors and see if anything is leaking.

Doug
Old 05-09-2015, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Ok gotcha! So if I pull the plugs I will
Be ok?
Old 05-09-2015, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

I just pulled the injectors out and noticed there wasn't any pressure in the fuel rail. I went to bleed the pressure out and nothing came out. There should be pressure in there, correct?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

There should be residual pressure. Do you have a gauge to monitor duel pressure? I'm guessing an injector is bleeding the fuel in to a cylinder.

You won't hydraulic with plugs pulled. That might also tell you which injector(s) are leaking.

If you pull the intake you should see which injector is leaking. After priming the pump, of course.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

No I don't have a gauge. I'm going to put the injectors back in tomorrow morning and figure out which one is leaking. Is there any other way fuel could get in the oil?
Old 05-09-2015, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

I do not think there is another way.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

You can jumper the fuel pump I suspect to get it to run to build the pressure. I'm guessing from zero pressure you might need more than 3 second priming cycle n
Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Let us know what your test reveals!

Doug
Old 05-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DW SD
Let us know what your test reveals!

Doug
Well there is NO leaking injectors Doug! What I did find is all of my spark plugs are fouled. They are covered in what appears to be carbon and smell like gas. I have some pictures on my iPhone I can upload.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Old 05-10-2015, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That second plug doesn't look right compared to the others. And hell yes it's pig rich. I'd data log it idling and cruising and get with your tuner to figure that out ASAP. Much more of that and the rings will be toast.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I did a mail order tune through PCM4less, he told me that there's no way that's a tuning issue.

I'm running a truck MAP sensor and corvette 02 sensors....could that have anything to do with it? It has a new crank sensor. Only sensor that is old is the cam sensor.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had the exact same looking plugs in a LQ9 (6.0 engine) (all eight) and a camaro 3.8 (V6) engine (all 6). Both times it was the fuel pressure regulator (that was controlled by the manifold vacuum) that was defective. The diaphram was bad and it allowed raw gas to enter the manifold via the vacuum port. I know your earlier pictures of the truck indicate you are using a car type manifold (and probably a corvette style regulator), but if you are using a truck manifold that has a regulator that uses manifold vacuum, I would bet any amount of money that is your problem.

Good luck.
Ricky
Old 05-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

so here's what I think is happening.... I don't have a air filter on the truck yet. The MAF is open right now, and it is right behind the radiator. The fan is sucking the hot air out of the radiator blowing it into the MAF/intake. So maybe the computer is telling it to get more fuel since its montioring all that air?

Quick Reply: 56 Ford F100 LS 5.3 swap - fuel in oil!