Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pumps for swaps..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1
The first external Walbro 255 I had failed after probably 40 minutes, but I suspect it may have been a knock-off, as I bought it from an online vendor for cheap. The one I currently have was purchased from Summit. So far, I have about 6 or 8 hours on it. Hope it lasts (fingers crossed).

Doug, I'm considering a Bosch 044. Porsche used them, and I don't recall any reliability issues. Is the Porsche spec 044 any different than any other 044? A local Porsche race shop says they're super reliable.

Andy1
Hi Andy,
My impression is the Porsche spec pump is not different from other Bosch 044 pumps. And yes for me they've been ultra reliable. Do run at least some filtering upfront and make sure it is high throughout with large filtering element given low pressure on the inlet side (gravity only). I made the mistake of plugging an 044 pump with bits from foam in a fuel cell. The pump failed and I took it out of service and umtimately revived it by blowing the bits out with compressed air.
That pump I showed on eBay is very very similar to the 044. It fits the 044 clamps / me nuts you can buy.
For high horsepower I'd run two in parallel.

One more thought.... If given the choice I would probably run an old but used OEM vs a non German manufactured new unit. I think those built elsewhere are likely to have quality issues.
If you check pelicanparts.com who sells lots of vintage Porsche parts in their catalog they will tell the origin of manufacture and also rating from customers. You will see the same part by the same manufacturer selling for different prices based on manufacturing location. Wouldn't be surprised to see that with the fuel pumps. Look up late 80s to mid 90s 911s. Their prices are pretty good too.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by DW SD
Hi Andy,
My impression is the Porsche spec pump is not different from other Bosch 044 pumps. And yes for me they've been ultra reliable. Do run at least some filtering upfront and make sure it is high throughout with large filtering element given low pressure on the inlet side (gravity only). I made the mistake of plugging an 044 pump with bits from foam in a fuel cell. The pump failed and I took it out of service and umtimately revived it by blowing the bits out with compressed air.
That pump I showed on eBay is very very similar to the 044. It fits the 044 clamps / me nuts you can buy.
For high horsepower I'd run two in parallel.

One more thought.... If given the choice I would probably run an old but used OEM vs a non German manufactured new unit. I think those built elsewhere are likely to have quality issues.
If you check pelicanparts.com who sells lots of vintage Porsche parts in their catalog they will tell the origin of manufacture and also rating from customers. You will see the same part by the same manufacturer selling for different prices based on manufacturing location. Wouldn't be surprised to see that with the fuel pumps. Look up late 80s to mid 90s 911s. Their prices are pretty good too.
New 044 came in the traditional yellow Bosch box but said it was made in Czec republic, looked fine but failed within an hour's run time, it stalls and needs to be tapped on to work again, used a lab scope and inductor on the power wire and noticed the sine wave drops and engine stalls. There are Chinese copies of the 044 on ebay not sure they're any worse. No more 044's here.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:29 PM
TECH Resident

total bummer! I have found the genuine Made in Germany Bosch pumps to be bullet proof. I'd trust used over new. 5k miles later on mine and it works perfectly.

Doug
Old 05-28-2015, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawk465
I used the Tanks Inc. setup. Very happy with it so far.

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm
X2 w/ Walbro 255 and Corvette regulator
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Winmon
X2 w/ Walbro 255 and Corvette regulator
X3 on this setup. Make sure to vent the tank properly though. My regulator and pump would also bleed down pressure. Putting a one-way after the regulator keeps pressure in the system for quicker starts.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Andy,
It might be a calculated good risk to buy this one:
I just bought a spare here for $30 (I made an offer). http://www.ebay.com/itm/251965164988
Looks like he has one left.

The spare I bought seems to work and spins on my bench.

And it is stamped with Made in Germany. The pump is clean. I would run it if my other fails and am keeping it as a spare. I have 200k miles on a pair of those pumps in my old '92 500E (predecessor to AMG Mercs built by Porsche for Mercedes) with a hitch.

I believe it has the same footprint as the 044, so it should fit your 044 mount, if you have one.

On the low pressure side, it uses about a 1/2" or 5/8" inlet feed. My fuel cell has a either a -8 or -10 connector at the sump and the other end I just use a high quality hose clamp. (not braided stainless, but I used the black braided AN line. Given low pressure and tight fit on the pump inlet it works just like the factory Mercedes setup.

Doug
Old 08-28-2018, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I've used several genuine AC Delco EP-381's on LS swaps...very good luck with these.

Word to the wise...I had a customer try to save a few bucks once and used an E-bay knock off 381...I don't have to tell you how that turned out...
Do you know if these work well on the ls1 engine?
Old 08-28-2018, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The pump on a stick and Corvette FPR design is perfectly acceptable... if you don't take corners, get below 1/4-1/2 tank, or plan to make any additional power; or you want to pour through a bunch of "fuel tank baffle" threads.

There's little reason to run anything other than a 4th or 5th gen fuel pump module: the pump is in a bucket, they're internally regulated, and they adjust to different tank heights (including the Nova's). Believe me, it's not fun when you have to start thinking about a gas station when the needle dips below 1/2 tank, or your car randomly dies at idle when it gets warm, or it hiccups when you take a hard corner even on a full tank. I've tried them all - Walbro 255 with a fuel cell, in-tank 340 - and the 5th gen is by far the best performer and most reliable. I filled my tank with one gallon following the swap, and for kicks stood on at a green light, then took it around a couple hard corners with zero starvation issues. I can finally run the tank to E, rather than 1/4 tank like other setups.

Here's a write-up on how to do a 5th-gen with a stock tank. Rick's manufacturers a drop-in tank, a pump can be purchased reasonably, and Vaporworx can set you up with everything else you need (4th gen regulator and adapter, maybe a connector).
Old 08-29-2018, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

I use a Deatschwerks DW300 in-tank. Flawless performance - so quiet you can barely hear it prime.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a Walboro 255 in my Chevelle with a Tanks Inc gas tank and it works fine. I also have an extra brand new corvette filter/regulator with the right AN fittings that Ill sell for cheap if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Fuel pumps for swaps..