Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'72 Chevelle, BRP mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Default '72 Chevelle, BRP mounts

Using new style BRP mounts, what options do I have in 1 7/8" headers, besides the obvious choice of buying Hustlers from BRP?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12SEC SS
Using new style BRP mounts, what options do I have in 1 7/8" headers, besides the obvious choice of buying Hustlers from BRP?
About the only ones that I can think of that will work is going to the Ultimate Headers mid length headers. I have a set that I only put in place but never installed. They fit like a glove. Go to Hot Rod Regal. com and see the video on the installation. You can also go to Ultimate Headers.com. They are rather pricey but very nice headers. If interested I may even sell mine. Not sure yet because I am mulling different plans of attack on my engine.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Launching!

American Racing TrailblazerSS headers fit too
Old 10-01-2015, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Just gonna have to bite the bullet and try another set or hopefully find someone else that already has and can tell you.

I just went through that with my nova using their mount setup. Put off buying them for over a year and finally bit the bullet because i couldnt find any information of others using something else. Im not happy about it still because i think the headers were like $800 and i beat them up pretty bad trying to install them, nobody mentioned you had to unbolt the steering box and hold it up and away from the frame as someone else slips the header in. So after a couple hrs fighting with it ive now got a set of $800 ceramic coated headers that are scratched to ****
Old 10-01-2015, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Good luck getting the driveline angle right with those mounts, unless the rear ride height is that of a 4x4.

Andrew
Old 10-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

What's keeping you from using the BRP/Hedman headers?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Good luck getting the driveline angle right with those mounts, unless the rear ride height is that of a 4x4.

Andrew
Not sure what you mean, I run their engine mounts and their trans cross member, the driveline angle is fine. Been checked by a professional, and seen triple digit speeds

Not a 4x4 either

Old 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Launching!

American Racing TrailblazerSS headers fit too
For the record, here is what ARE TrailblazerSS headers look like from the side. collectors would need to be re-worked.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the issues with finding headers for BRP mounted engines is that the position the engine a bit higher and might cause floor board contact if the headers where to tuck up higher for a mounting system that has a lower engine position.
I know my Edelbrock long tube collectors sit a bit lower in my 71 Chevelle, they might have worked as i was using the early style BRP Plate mounts. But Edelbrock stopped making them.

BC
Old 10-02-2015, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bout a pic of the engine comp.?
Old 10-06-2015, 04:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by john 67
How bout a pic of the engine comp.?

Old 08-03-2016, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Just saw this picture, are those header studs? Where have those been all my life?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Just saw this picture, are those header studs? Where have those been all my life?
In the ARP catalog....and they are expensive! I use them on my Cougar. Very sexy. Make sure to use plenty of anti seize when you install them in the head.

Andrew
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 PM
On The Tree

Default Reply

This is an older thread that I see has been revived. I just received a set of the newly released Ultimate 1 7/8" long tubes for a G Body car that I am using the BRP Mounts on. Namely my 1987 Buick Regal T-Type. I couldn't be happier. The headers went on in about 20 minutes using a lift. Are they pricey? Not for my car with the way they fit. You do not even have to raise the engine up out of the mounts. Incidentally I have used another brand headers for a G Body. NO they were not the Holley/Hooker headers which they are a QUALITY kit but for best results you have to use the whole kit. With the Ultimate Headers clearance around the lower control arms is great. No problem whatsoever which is a problem with some headers. Being Stainless Steel and coated they should last a lifetime. Jim Browning is the owner of Ultimate Headers and one fine gentleman to deal with. He also was I believe the former owner of Corsa Exhaust but he decided to go into a different business. Bear in mind I am a person that DOESN'T look for cheap. I look for the BEST. I only want to buy once. These are the headers that I have waited for over a year to come out. Finally they are here. Check Ultimate Headers out for their great features. I am extremely happy with mine just in case you can't tell. LOL Rich
Old 08-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TURBO BUICK
This is an older thread that I see has been revived. I just received a set of the newly released Ultimate 1 7/8" long tubes for a G Body car that I am using the BRP Mounts on. Namely my 1987 Buick Regal T-Type. I couldn't be happier. The headers went on in about 20 minutes using a lift. Are they pricey? Not for my car with the way they fit. You do not even have to raise the engine up out of the mounts. Incidentally I have used another brand headers for a G Body. NO they were not the Holley/Hooker headers which they are a QUALITY kit but for best results you have to use the whole kit. With the Ultimate Headers clearance around the lower control arms is great. No problem whatsoever which is a problem with some headers. Being Stainless Steel and coated they should last a lifetime. Jim Browning is the owner of Ultimate Headers and one fine gentleman to deal with. He also was I believe the former owner of Corsa Exhaust but he decided to go into a different business. Bear in mind I am a person that DOESN'T look for cheap. I look for the BEST. I only want to buy once. These are the headers that I have waited for over a year to come out. Finally they are here. Check Ultimate Headers out for their great features. I am extremely happy with mine just in case you can't tell. LOL Rich
I'm glad to hear you found something to resolve your header fitment issues Rich.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Launching!

Since we are bringing this thread back, I want to add that I did end up having a problem with driveline angle that couldn't be resolved by shimming up the transmission mount. Engine side mounts have been modified, and engine lowered about 3/4".

Oh, and header studs FTW! Tried a no name set first from ebay which worked great until one snapped. Bought quality ARP ones like I should have from the get go, and no issues since.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Since we are bringing this thread back, I want to add that I did end up having a problem with driveline angle that couldn't be resolved by shimming up the transmission mount. Engine side mounts have been modified, and engine lowered about 3/4".

Oh, and header studs FTW! Tried a no name set first from ebay which worked great until one snapped. Bought quality ARP ones like I should have from the get go, and no issues since.
What a surprise! Lol

Glad you got it worked out.

Andrew
Old 08-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Banned

We knew you'd make that discovery sooner or later as it's an inherent problem with A-body swaps that cannot be overcome with wishful thinking. Luckily, there's bolt-on parts available that deal with the issue. Glad you got something figured out that works for you.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'm glad to hear you found something to resolve your header fitment issues Rich.
Thanks Toddoky. Yes it was a LONG time coming. Had it not been for my very expensive $1200 driveshaft I would have **** canned everything that I had and gone with the Holley/Hooker kit that you worked on designing. Finally I can work on completing my project car. Rich

Quick Reply: '72 Chevelle, BRP mounts