Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy111
Is anyone using the mid length headers? Im thinking of getting a set and wonder if anyone has a picture of them installed. Im Going with an Ls3 with the forward position mounts and a T56 magnum in My 70 Chevelle. I've considered the Manifolds as well but I may go with a blown LSx in the future and I'm thinking the 1 7/8 mid length headers would be good for now and later. I like the ground clearance. and the extra room from the mid length headers. Any concerns with stainless? I've always bought Ceramic headers. Is the heat a factor with stainless?
The Hooker mid-length headers will give you more ground clearance than the long-tubes. The only reason I can see running mild-steel headers (even coated) anymore, is if your budget will not allow the purchase of stainless headers. Other than the typical discoloration that comes with the heating of stainless steel, there are zero concerns with using stainless steel headers. Austenitic stainless steels (i.e. 304ss) possess thermal conductivity rates that are as low, or lower, than ceramic coated mild steel.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the reply I will be ordering the headers in the next few days. I just got the crossmember. It was almost falling out of the box from UPS. I don't know why they can't handle the boxes better. I can't tell you how happy I am Holley stepped up with these parts. It's a big plus for us A body guys. I'll be posting on team Chevelle when I start mocking things up so the guys over there can see how it goes.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I appreciate the reply I will be ordering the headers in the next few days. I just got the crossmember. It was almost falling out of the box from UPS. I don't know why they can't handle the boxes better. I can't tell you how happy I am Holley stepped up with these parts. It's a big plus for us A body guys. I'll be posting on team Chevelle when I start mocking things up so the guys over there can see how it goes.
Glad to have you onboard the Hooker team...I'll be checking in over on the other site shortly also; I've had some login issues that have prevented me from providing updates recently.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:59 PM
Teching In

Any chance Holley will make new engine mounts so we don't have to use the stock F-body mounts. Not that they don't work but they are pretty ugly and I would prefer something with some better looks. I only see one company making billet mounts but they are solid which I am unsure on for street use and cruising. I looked all over for an aftermarket mount and all I see is Chinese made mounts.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Any chance Holley will make new engine mounts so we don't have to use the stock F-body mounts. Not that they don't work but they are pretty ugly and I would prefer something with some better looks. I only see one company making billet mounts but they are solid which I am unsure on for street use and cruising. I looked all over for an aftermarket mount and all I see is Chinese made mounts.
No, there won't be any other engine mounts developed by Hooker/Holley for the A-body application. The two main reasons the Hooker brackets are based around the use of the 4th-gen F-body mounts is as follows:

1.) The mounts can be easily sourced in rubber or poly versions from hundreds of sources across the country should they require servicing. The rubber OE replacement versions are dirt cheap also.

2.) Their design geometry is robust and proven to be able to handle tons of power as well as being able to accept installation of a low-mount A/C compressor in almost any 64-72 A-body vehicle.

Billet engine mounts are not something you'll see offered by Holley at any time that I can foresee as the number of users wanting/able to pay the price to develop such products is extremely small and not able to provide the return on investment needed to justify their development cost.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:01 AM
Teching In

I knew it was a long shot but thought I would try. I guess they are hidden for the most part so it's not a big deal. I ordered the mid-length headers, exhaust and adapters through Summit. Tentative ship date is the 29th so I'm itching to see how they look.
Are you able to answer questions on the LS EFI offerings? If yes I would like to PM some questions if you don't mind as that will be a future purchase.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:13 AM
TECH Junkie

I knew it was a long shot but thought I would try. I guess they are hidden for the most part so it's not a big deal. I ordered the mid-length headers, exhaust and adapters through Summit. Tentative ship date is the 29th so I'm itching to see how they look.
Are you able to answer questions on the LS EFI offerings? If yes I would like to PM some questions if you don't mind as that will be a future purchase.
My area of expertise covers all the Hooker LS swap related products and Holley oil pans. Questions you may have regarding any other type of Holley products would be more accurately answered by someone else.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Todd

I am at the exhaust stage of my build (69 Pontiac Custom S Vert). I have the forward motor mounts with full length blackheart headers (3"). Do I need the standard or El Camino exhaust kit? If its the El Camino kit, are any ready to order?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 69 Custom S Vert
Todd

I am at the exhaust stage of my build (69 Pontiac Custom S Vert). I have the forward motor mounts with full length blackheart headers (3"). Do I need the standard or El Camino exhaust kit? If its the El Camino kit, are any ready to order?
You would need the regular 2-door system, the El Camino/4-door/wagon system is configured to accommodate the longer wheel base of those vehicles.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Nice Build thanks for all the info. Subscribed
Old 11-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default GTO R Build

Hey Todd,

I am almost finished with the chassis on the GTO and when I mounted the steering box yesterday the alternator pulley is just barely touching it. Any idea why it is so close? This frame has never had any damage and was checked for correct dimensions before and after we added the Hellwig FX kit and seam welded it. I can clearance the steering box but thought i would run it by you before doing so, your input is appreciated.
Thanks,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-img_1172.jpg   New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-img_1174.jpg  
Old 11-14-2016, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Hey Todd,

I am almost finished with the chassis on the GTO and when I mounted the steering box yesterday the alternator pulley is just barely touching it. Any idea why it is so close? This frame has never had any damage and was checked for correct dimensions before and after we added the Hellwig FX kit and seam welded it. I can clearance the steering box but thought i would run it by you before doing so, your input is appreciated.
Thanks,

Tom
I would just have to guess that it would be related to production tolerances between the frame you have and the previous one you had Tom. Are you using the same steering box as before and an actual 4th-gen F-body alternator? A Delphi 600 series steering box may give you more clearance in that area, but I can't say for sure. Here's a pic of the mock-up of that set-up during development...
Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

The frame the that was in the car when you had it was a 1968 cutlass, the one I am using is a 1972 Skylark so I am certain there are some production differences. The alternator is a 4th Gen F-body but the steering box is from an 86 Monte Carlo SS not the one that was in the car when it was at Holley; my understanding is the 800 series steering boxes are all the same size. I will check out the 600 series box and see if it offers more space; probably just going to "clearance" the box a little and move on.

BTW-The Hooker/Holley parts you designed are excellent I would highly reccomend them to anyone doing an A-body LS conversion. We did have to modify the cross member to fit with the boxed frame but that was an easy modification. Working hard to make LS Fest in 2017!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-14-2016, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

The frame the that was in the car when you had it was a 1968 cutlass, the one I am using is a 1972 Skylark so I am certain there are some production differences. The alternator is a 4th Gen F-body but the steering box is from an 86 Monte Carlo SS not the one that was in the car when it was at Holley; my understanding is the 800 series steering boxes are all the same size. I will check out the 600 series box and see if it offers more space; probably just going to "clearance" the box a little and move on.

BTW-The Hooker/Holley parts you designed are excellent I would highly reccomend them to anyone doing an A-body LS conversion. We did have to modify the cross member to fit with the boxed frame but that was an easy modification. Working hard to make LS Fest in 2017!

Thanks,

Tom
Did you turn in the old steering box as a core? If not, you could swap it back onto the frame to verify if there is variance in those two components. I hope to see that car next year at LSFest for sure.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

I have the old steering box, I will get it off the frame this afternoon and see if it has more clearance.

Are the F-body accessory drive AC compressor bracket for the Sanden 508 you showed me at LS Fest available?
Old 11-14-2016, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Let me know what happens so I can update the instructions if needed. I don't know what the on-the-shelf date is for the low-mount A/C compressor bracket, but I'll see what I can find out.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Todd,

Got a smaller pulley and massaged the steering box just a little. About 1/4" clearance now so its good to go.

Thanks,

Tom
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-img_1179.jpg   New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview-img_1180.jpg  
Old 11-15-2016, 12:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Hey Todd,

Got a smaller pulley and massaged the steering box just a little. About 1/4" clearance now so its good to go.

Thanks,

Tom
Glad to see you came up with a work-around Tom...keep at it.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Todd
any more info on a cross member for the el camino?

thanks
Old 11-20-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rallystyle
Todd
any more info on a cross member for the el camino?

thanks
I'm still pushing forward on it, but it did stall out for a bit due to other projects taking a priority position. I'm waiting on parts to show up so I can build/ validate the pre-production sample and then I'll be able to cut it loose for the first production run. It won't make it onto the shelf before the end of the year, but it's back in play.

Quick Reply: New Hooker 1968-72 A-Body LS Swap System Preview