Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My project(s) Dreams coming true!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My project(s) Dreams coming true!!!

Well, this all a few weeks ago when...

I was having a bad day. REALLY Bad day. My buddy picks me up and we go for a ride in his all bolt on (so far!) 2002 Black bad *** Camarro. (He's ruinning low 12's right now!) We pull up to another with similar mods and they take off from rolling 20's... I was hooked! Slammed back into the seat and off we went! Needless to say both cars performed well with no clear winner due to a red light. We started talking and my buddy mentioned if he could he'd get another 02 LS1 engine to rebuild, he would. Well, the very next day I started looking and found one! For $500.00 no less!!! So I made a few calls and went and took a look at it. SOLD TO ME FOR $500.00!!!!! (He's a little jealous but I'm looking for one for him too... I owe him BIG TIME for all his hlep so far so if I find another deal like this I'm picking it up for him.) It had been in a car that had burnt up form a car stereo install gone bad. No intake, computers, or any of the plastic parts. Just a little dirt from sitting and other than that, looks to be in great shape. I'll be picking it up on Tuesday and straight to the storage/garage area we go! (still cleaning it out to make room!)

I have found a 1967 Chevelle that I might tuck this into. I'm planning to get this LS1 bored over, and a new cranck to stroke it out a bit. ( NO replacement for displacement!) I saw Edelbrock has a new Performer intake to make it a carburated intake and I am going to give one of those a shot first. If it doesn't woek out well, provisions are going to be made while doing the car to put in the computer system and go back to the EFI set up. But I think it should work out just fine for me! So far these are the only plans I have for engine mods and rebuild. Of course the heads will get ported, a new cam and all the internals will be replaced.

The car itself, be it the Chevelle a 67-69 Camaro or 3rd Gen, (what ever I find when the funds become available!!!! ) I want certain things in this car too. I will not be restoring what ever it is I get. I'll be updating and fabricating a whole new interior. I've had this plan since I was about 13 years old... (17 years in planning now mind you and getting ready to be 31 so I had time to figure all this out!!!!) I want my music... the car will already have a theme song!!! lol!!!! and a few other creature comforts. (No AC though... I never use it anyway, I like the windows down too much!) I've set up an audio system that will be completle removabel with in minutes. ( I know I am leary about this as the engine has already been through one fire from a bad install job!) The seats and other interior componets will be the same.

I have not even set a budget for this because I have no clue what it is going to take. I'll be scrounging and fabracting most of the things I'll need. No flashy or fancy stuff either. All go not much show for this one. The paint will be where most of that stops. It will be black with a black/white and red interior. All emblems will be ultra flat blacked and returned to the car. (got the idea from my wifes Tiberon...) Oh and speaking of the wife.....

After hearing all about this she calls me while I am working one night and says..."Honey, you want to know something no one else does about me... I've always wanted a Trans-Am!" Well, she looked around and decided on a 69 Camaro! (Oh my luck!) So now it begins... One summer... Two projects! She ain't getting the LS1 though!!!! Pulling another engine this week to make her a 383 stroker!!!!! Same mods inside the car with a dark blue paint job and interior to be her choice.

Sorry for the long *** post. I am just so damn excited about all this! I've been waiting forever to do something like this and now it is finally here! AND I GET TO DO TWO CARS AT ONCE! Just wanted to share. I'll be setting up a web site soon to show the his and hers project!

Mike
Old 06-10-2004, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good Luck. I hope to fire up my LS1 for the first time this weekend! I'm pretty psyched.
-Matt
Old 06-10-2004, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Good Luck. I hope to fire up my LS1 for the first time this weekend! I'm pretty psyched.
-Matt

SWEET! Lemme know how it goes!
Old 06-10-2004, 10:50 PM
Teching In

put that dude in a 69 Camaro...it will be worth way more than anything else. 69 Camaro's are hot right now. check them out on ebay and look at the big motor cars. $$$
Old 06-16-2004, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Default The LS1 is here!

Well, as in my other posts the LS1 is here! Picked it up yesterday moning and tore it down in the afternoon. Two worst parts about it... 1) Getting it off the truck (no engine hoist) and 2) The damn crank bolt won't come off. Broke two breaker bars trying. Off to the shop we go for air tools!!!!

With it all torn down, or as far as I can go right now, I started cleaning. It was in great shape so not much needed there. Still waiting for more info on the intake so in the mean time the planning and cleaning continue. It's block beautification time. Out comes the Dremel to clean up all the crud on it and clean up a few lines. Also waiting on re-sleeve info and just looking for the parts combination to make this thing a scream!

As always, more to come!!! Stay tuned! (Pun intended!)
Old 06-16-2004, 07:30 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

GM Performance Parts has a better carb intake, it is a single-plane design instead of the current Edelbrock dual-plane. But, you will still need some form of computer system to operate the engine, as there are several sensors and you need something to read the crank trigger and supply the signals to the coil pack setup.

It would probably be cheaper to get the entire EFI system out of a junked LS1 car and go that route. Used LS1 parts are pretty cheap.

Easy route? Find someones gutted trailer queen 98+ Camaro or Trans Am that is missing an engine and slap that sucker in there. I've seen rollers selling in the $5000-7000 range, and they only need an engine/tranny. All the wiring, PCM stuff is still in the car, ready for an LS1
Old 06-29-2004, 08:22 AM
Teching In

More updates!!! WOW, did I stumble into some stuff or what! ( See my classified ad for a 69 Camaro if interested!!!!) I went for a drive home last week and found a ton of cars of interest. I can pick up up to three 1969 Camaros! So I guess the car decision has been made! Just need to sell one off due to space. Getting it on trade and can't pass it up...

Had another idea too going through all this... Somthing like a Camaro Rescue Society! I saw tons of them sitting there rotting and got to thinking... MBNA Bank used to do this for an investment. THey'd pick up old cars and fix them and sell them off...

Anyway, still planning the engine build up and car set up. Hardest part right now is getting transport for two of the cars. Collecting up more tools and getting the area ready for the cars. My ideas for the interior are comming together and the entire concept is almost complete!!!! A few more weeks and I think I'll have all that taken care of. Concept drawings are in the works and if I can get any decent ones going I'll post them up!

I'm so darn excited I can't sit still!!!! (All this from one ride in a fast car and an engine block sitting in my car port!!!!!!!!)

Mike
Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unhappy

Carb? You're planning on putting a carburetor on an LS1? Why would you do that? The LS1 is a high hp, efficient, tractable and reliable engine because of its excellent EFI system.

I mean, to each his own, but if you really want a carb, I would highly recommend choosing another motor. Otherwise it's like you're buying a nice bottle of champaigne, pouring it out and filling it up with malt liquor.

Besides, the EFI is not difficult to setup and there are lots of vendors here that can help. And if cost is the issue, I'd bet the EFI comes out cheaper than the special intake, carb, separate ignition system, etc., etc....
Old 06-30-2004, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Just because I can!!!! lol (And I can get my hands on at least 1/2 dozen carbs for nothing... Dad is a pack rat!)
Old 07-05-2004, 02:39 PM
Teching In

yeah.... but you have everything needed for EFI
If you wanted a carb engine, Chevy smallblocks are cheap, and parts are cheap too...

Seems like kind of a waste.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Teching In

I have just the block sooo... Not into havimg to plug my car into a computer either. I know for me I'll get much better performance out of the car. Lately cost has not become a concenrn. I was looking to do this quickly but now, I'm looking to build a killer car.

Quick Reply: My project(s) Dreams coming true!!!