Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RX8 5.3 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 10:41 AM
8 Second Club

Received 749 Likes on 550 Posts

I’d be interested to see what the calculated slip is on that converter at 1:1 around redline. I’d guess its crazy high. Not trying to nit-pick, but I never had luck with converters like that. They don’t tend to couple well at lowish RPM so you give up a ton of power from say 4-6500k range where a turbo car really shines. May be worth looking into down the road.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed86
I’d be interested to see what the calculated slip is on that converter at 1:1 around redline. I’d guess its crazy high. Not trying to nit-pick, but I never had luck with converters like that. They don’t tend to couple well at lowish RPM so you give up a ton of power from say 4-6500k range where a turbo car really shines. May be worth looking into down the road.
Not sure, I just got this one since it was cheap. I think its the 242931 model from TCI and they rate it at 3000-3600
Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

What did you do for mounting and steering rack? Did you manage to mount it using your own brackets?

I've considered doing this a couple of times. Building a mild N/A LS swap with an auto trans and driving it for a few months before flipping. LS swapped RX8s are very expensive and I typically get swaps done cheap. My biggest hold-up is that the swap kits typically cost as much as I normally do an entire swap for. How much do you think you spent modifying the car itself to get ready for the LS engine?
Old 08-19-2016, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeNova
What did you do for mounting and steering rack? Did you manage to mount it using your own brackets?

I've considered doing this a couple of times. Building a mild N/A LS swap with an auto trans and driving it for a few months before flipping. LS swapped RX8s are very expensive and I typically get swaps done cheap. My biggest hold-up is that the swap kits typically cost as much as I normally do an entire swap for. How much do you think you spent modifying the car itself to get ready for the LS engine?
I used the mounts I made for the engine and dropped the steering rack (picture on the first page) and got a tie rod kit from ls1rx8.com

This swap wasn't really any different than the ones I see here all the time. I did a budget build and fabricated everything I could and my cost including the car is about $9,000 Canadian.

If you can fabricate then this swap is just as cheap as the rest.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:45 AM
Launching!

Received 85 Likes on 55 Posts

I have to tip my hat to you man. This is an awesome build. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave3891
I used the mounts I made for the engine and dropped the steering rack (picture on the first page) and got a tie rod kit from ls1rx8.com

This swap wasn't really any different than the ones I see here all the time. I did a budget build and fabricated everything I could and my cost including the car is about $9,000 Canadian.

If you can fabricate then this swap is just as cheap as the rest.
I usually end up about $2500 in when converting an old car to fuel injected 5.3.

Fabricating engine mounts isn't much of an issue. It's the steering stuff I see problems with. There was another RX8 on here that used a Miata rack and other OEM parts and didn't have to fabricate or buy anything additional. I've been trying to figure out the easiest and cheapest way around the modifications that have to be done to the actual car just to get the LS in and driveable.

Quick Reply: RX8 5.3 Turbo