Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used most of the swap system for my 1967 malibu. I boxed the frame, so I modified the stock cross member since one for this swap is not available for a boxed frame. All fit fine, but for anyone using a stock cross member with the 3 inch exhaust it is going to be extremely close...
Old 06-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like 70701328-RHKR is continually being pushed back on the production time for anyone considering using the Holley cast iron exhaust in their 64-67 A body. I used a 42114HKR I picked up last year and the drivers side fits but had to pound on the passenger side pipe quite a bit to get it to work (ugly and restrictive I'm sure.

The correct pipes are pretty much a must for anyone working on a budget IMHO. The cast iron exhaust are nice because you can install them from the top or bottom
Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

I used the long tubes and the 3 inch exhaust on my 67 a body. FIT nicely and a,fairly easy install...
Old 07-08-2017, 01:19 AM
Teching In

Haven't the ls swap yet but did the 97 camaro t56 to 350SBC for starters wondering if I could use the new PART# 71222008HKR for this set up trying to get correct driveline angles for this set up, it will help determine how much of a PITA the LS swap is going to be if I don't have all correct parts to do swap

thanks
Old 07-08-2017, 06:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by louieace1
Haven't the ls swap yet but did the 97 camaro t56 to 350SBC for starters wondering if I could use the new PART# 71222008HKR for this set up trying to get correct driveline angles for this set up, it will help determine how much of a PITA the LS swap is going to be if I don't have all correct parts to do swap

thanks
I can't provide an answer to your question as the LT1 T56 is shorter than the LS1 T56 and I have no way of knowing where the fore/aft location of your engine/transmission mating plane is.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:16 PM
Teching In

Not sure if I'm in the right area or not but I need some wiring help. I just put an LS 3 in my 65 Chevelle and have the GM accessory drive system that came with the 25888970 generator. I need some information on wiring this in to my 65. Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM
TECH Junkie

You'll be more likely to get an answer to your question by posting a new thread for it as this thread is specific to the Hooker A-body LS swap system components.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

So the 70701328-RHKR cast iron manifold to pipe adapters production date keeps getting kicked the down the road. You would think that a part which was forgotten about a year earlier for production would be fast tracked not pushed back. Maybe there isn't a lot of interest in it? I will just keep driving my car while the Band-Aid solution keeps rattling off my frame.

In the meantime, this seems to be an issue that Holley/Hooker needs to deal with. When you look up various parts online the availability dates are two weeks out or more. This happens a lot. There's an old saying... you cant sell from an empty wagon
Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Point taken Scotty. It's an issue that has received great attention at Holley and has resulted in some changes to the way we'll be doing things related to product release/information exchange on a go-forward basis...one of which is my building/managing of the swap system preview threads like this one.

It's quite likely that the SN95 and Fox body Mustang LS swap threads I'm currently building will be the last ones I'll put forth the effort to do so.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear this.... I think I speak for everyone when I say that your threads are very enjoyable, informative and build excitement and anticipation.

Your open dialogue and willingness to comment on matters even if uncomfortable is a breath of fresh air! You are a huge asset to the brand and your direct participation here would be sorely missed.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Launching!

Received 120 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by 442scotty
Sorry to hear this.... I think I speak for everyone when I say that your threads are very enjoyable, informative and build excitement and anticipation.

Your open dialogue and willingness to comment on matters even if uncomfortable is a breath of fresh air! You are a huge asset to the brand and your direct participation here would be sorely missed.
Agreed. I'm sorry to hear that threads like this have caused you heartburn Todd. I know I appreciated this thread immensely and I think it is beneficial to the customers of Holley.
Old 07-30-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky

It's quite likely that the SN95 and Fox body Mustang LS swap threads I'm currently building will be the last ones I'll put forth the effort to do so.
Todd,

This is rather unfortunate. I think people need to see what exactly is involved with new product development, especially a system of products that are designed to work together. Before Holley started making swap SYSTEMS the market was filled with a hodge podge of parts that were developed by various vendors and it was a roll of the dice if parts would fit together or not. This was also true for the early Hooker swap headers (which I am pretty sure you had nothing to do with).

When people see the effort that goes into making sure that parts work together, this adds a lot of value to the product and helps to justify a premium price point. Without your posts, there is no "evidence" of the work that you (and others) do.

I sincerely hope that you (and the powers at be) strongly reconsider this decision.

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 07-30-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with Andrew and everyone else. It has been great to have direct interaction with you and see the process involved. I believe it also helps Holley in getting direct and immediate feedback from customers directly to the designer. While there were cheaper options out there for my LS3 swap, your postings were the key factor in my decisions to buy Holley products regardless of the cost as I definitely saw the value in what you had designed. As for the exhaust pipes for the cast iron manifolds, which is what I bought for my swap, it's not the end of the world. It would be nice to have but we're car guys. If we can't figure it out, we shouldn't be turning a wrench. As everyone said, we really do appreciate you and your work and hope that you continue to remain involved on the boards. Tell the higher ups we said you rock!!
Old 07-30-2017, 04:10 PM
Staging Lane

" As for the exhaust pipes for the cast iron manifolds, which is what I bought for my swap, it's not the end of the world. It would be nice to have but we're car guys. If we can't figure it out, we shouldn't be turning a wrench. "

Not sure why you felt the need to add this little ...shot? .... Its not the end of the world and I worked around it but that's not the point.

My part issue aside, which was messed up so bad Holley Tech support first tried to tell me that the part number didn't exist even though it was listed in their own instructions and came up only on the CARiD website not Holley. Then they tried to tell me to use another part number instead which was confirmed not to fit. Todd finally took it upon himself to fix their mistake and the part number was finally put up on the catalogue.

You would think that having a part in limbo for over a year would create a fast track of it but they keep moving back the production date instead of bumping it up. Someone dropped the ball. It happens. Its not a perfect world so fix the problem and move on but what is happening not good customer service and I'm pretty sure Tom Tomlinson expects better than this.

We cant expect to know the inner workings at Holley but on the face of it Todd is exactly the kind of guy we need working with us at ground level. He's an expert willing to help the little guy out. I think he's a stand up guy, willing to speak his mind, tell it like it is and if its wrong, make it right. Its because of him and his commitment to quality and service that I have purchased my system and steered others to it.

Holley has a supply management issue and that's certainly not Todd's fault. They need to own the problem and make it right. Making Todd disappear if that's what appears to happening is not the correct way to do this... Maybe someone doesn't like taking heat higher up, who knows, and Todd is the whipping boy.

The nice part of having "swap systems" is that its one stop shopping, all the parts fit and its a nice clean swap. Having said that, if they are going to sell systems then they need to have the products available not just bits and pieces.

I'm pretty sure more than a few people on here have had to deal with Holley Corp parts being on B/O for extended periods of time whether it be exhaust, hoses, manifolds. This appears to be a more and more common problem. This needs to be addressed at Holley and apparently is.

We shall see.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

To all, I really appreciate the feedback and your input on the value you've gotten from these threads...it has been my intention from the beginning to provide anyone following along with comprehensive information that would otherwise be difficult to obtain through normal channels.

To be clear and so everyone understands, I have never been directed by Holley management to build/maintain any of these threads and do have done so of my own free will and in many cases on my own time as I just had a hunch there was a need for such information. I've also not been asked by Holley management to discontinue them and have personally come to consider doing so. The primary reason for doing so,if I make that choice, is to align my efforts with the current product release mechanism in place at Holley.

It seems this is one of the only forums with any real steady traffic these days and many people have gravitated to using facebook to gather/share car information. Because of that, I might possibly be able to work out continuing to post here and here alone for Hooker LS swap info and just kill my participation on the other forums to make management of this info less taxing on my time. I'm spread pretty thin and have trouble monitoring forum PM messages now that I've developed more than a dozen swap systems.

I will give a lot of thought to this matter before making a decision.

Last edited by Toddoky; 07-30-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 AM
TECH Junkie

442scotty, I wanted to let you know that a production run of the adapter tubes you've been waiting for is scheduled to take place this week and we'll be making sure one of them is set aside to be shipped out to you.

From everyone at Holley, we apologize for the inconvenience you've experienced.
Old 08-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Todd. Sorry If I caused you any grief over this. The part shows instock since last Friday... Still waiting to see some shipping verification from any of my now 3 orders. (I ordered another set direct from Holley this time yesterday) For some reason this part doesn't seem to want to leave the building lol..
Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Hey Todd, I'm finally getting going on my swap. I've got everything mocked up and it all went in pretty seamlessly as can be expected for one of these projects.

I have net clearance on the right side of the 302-2 oil pan and tie rod end. It's just touching the boot on the tie rod end. I figured I would elongate the holes to get the mounts to move on the frame. The engine is sitting at a 2 deg angle, low on the pass side.

The other issue is the angle of the tail shaft on my T56. I'm getting 4 deg down measured on the vertical plane on the end of the housing and also on the out put shaft. The cross member mounting plates at the frame are 0 deg.

I have both spacers under the trans mount and I'm using a Energy suspension trans mount that is 1.937" tal I believe.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about Holley products. I just want to make sure I get this set up as good as possible.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Senna
Hey Todd, I'm finally getting going on my swap. I've got everything mocked up and it all went in pretty seamlessly as can be expected for one of these projects.

I have net clearance on the right side of the 302-2 oil pan and tie rod end. It's just touching the boot on the tie rod end. I figured I would elongate the holes to get the mounts to move on the frame. The engine is sitting at a 2 deg angle, low on the pass side.

The other issue is the angle of the tail shaft on my T56. I'm getting 4 deg down measured on the vertical plane on the end of the housing and also on the out put shaft. The cross member mounting plates at the frame are 0 deg.

I have both spacers under the trans mount and I'm using a Energy suspension trans mount that is 1.937" tal I believe.

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about Holley products. I just want to make sure I get this set up as good as possible.

2017-11-28_08-11-32
Hello Senna, here's some things to consider...

1.) The Hooker engine brackets are slotted to allow the user to level the engine side-to-side in the frame. If you've loosened the bolts that attach them to the frame and used up every bit of the slots lengths and your engine is still low on the passenger side then you'll need to lengthen the holes in your frame towards the top on the passenger side and towards the bottom on the driver side to allow further adjustment. Your engine not sitting flat is causing the contact of the oil pan with the boot on your tie rod end.

2.) You can use your header collectors as an "eye ball" gauge to see if your
installed engine inclination angle is inline with the as-designed geometry of the Hooker components. Your header collectors should be just about level with the frame rails if your engine/transmission are positioned in your car correctly. If the header collectors are down-sloped towards the rear of the car by any appreciable degree, then you're going to need additional trans mount shimming to get the collectors level. That will get you close enough to allow you to get your drive shaft made/installed so that you can fine tune your engine/trans inclination angle based on optimization of your U-joint working angles.

3.) The best places to take the engine/trans inclination angle measurement are off of the engine balancer (lay a plate or bar across it for this purpose) or the machined surface of the top of the engine block.

4.) You didn't mention what device you are using to measure your angles, but if you are using a mechanical angle protractor do yourself a favor and obtain some type of digital angle measuring device that will detect/display measurements in 10ths of a degree.

Keep me posted as to your progress.

Last edited by Toddoky; 11-29-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hello Senna, here's some things to consider...

1.) The Hooker engine brackets are slotted to allow the user to level the engine side-to-side in the frame. If you've loosened the bolts that attach them to the frame and used up every bit of the slots lengths and your engine is still low on the passenger side then you'll need to lengthen the holes in your frame towards the top on the passenger side and towards the bottom on the driver side to allow further adjustment. Your engine not sitting flat is causing the contact of the oil pan with the boot on your tie rod end.

2.) You can use your header collectors as an "eye ball" gauge to see if your
installed engine inclination angle is inline with the as-designed geometry of the Hooker components. If your header collectors should be just about level with the frame rails if your engine/transmission are positioned in your car correctly. If the header collectors are down-sloped towards the rear of the car by any appreciable degree, then you're going to need additional trans mount shimming to get the collectors level. That will get you close enough to allow you to get your drive shaft made/installed so that you can fine tune your engine/trans inclination angle based on optimization of your U-joint working angles.

3.) The best places to take the engine/trans inclination angle measurement are off of the engine balancer (lay a plate or bar across it for this purpose) or the machined surface of the top of the engine block.

4.) You didn't mention what device you are using to measure your angles, but if you are using a mechanical angle protractor do yourself a favor and obtain some type of digital angle measuring device that will detect/display measurements in 10ths of a degree.

Keep me posted as to your progress.
Todd

We did rotate the engine mounts as mush as we could, so I do believe I will need to slot the hole in the frame.

The headers do look pretty darn parallel to the frame.

I'm using a digital app for the phone to measure. I don't have a balance on yet. I'll see about installing it.

Sounds like I'm close enough to get a drive shaft made, so I measure that and get one made.

Quick Reply: Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS swap system preview thread