Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

l33 swap questions about tac, pedal, and tb

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Default l33 swap questions about tac, pedal, and tb

I hop this is in the right section but please let me know if it is not.

So I recently bought a 2006 L33 5.3L to swap into my 65 Chevy Nova 4dr. I am trying to organize all the parts and make sure that I have a good plan so that I don't have to buy 2 of anything and waste money. I do not have an engine harness, computer, DBW pedal or tac module for the L33 so I will need to acquire all of that. I would like to keep it DBW if at all possible for easy cruise control.

I also recently bought a TBSS/NNBS intake(w/rails, injectors, and TB) from a 2007 5.3l that I would like to use since it flows well and has a bigger throttle body.

I know that the TB from my new intake will not work with a 2006 harness without a $240 X link. If there is a way to make this combo work without the X link, I would definitely want to go that direction to save some $$.

Since I don't have a harness already, should I just get a harness, pedal, and TAC from a 2007 truck? Or just the pedal and TAC to match the new TB? I am going to have to completely rework the harness for the swap so making modifications is not a big deal. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!! Happy Holidays!
Old 12-25-2016, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Default L33 swap

What I would do is pick a company to buy the harness from and work with them to get ALL the required parts and tune. This will ensure compatibility and there should be no reason to rework the harness. There are companies that sell ECUs, tunes, APPs, TACs and harnesses. If you start to jump around that's when things go wrong (ask me).
Old 12-25-2016, 07:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

PSI and Speartech are both vendors with a lot of satisfied customers here.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. My plan had been to mod the harness myself to save dough since I'm on a budget.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Personally if it were me, I would stick with the GenIII stuff and not bother with the newer intake and throttle body if you are on a budget. I really don't think you are going to notice much of a difference using it. Also, The GenIV PCM won't work on the GenIII engine if it has the 24x crank sensor. You also mentioned you want cruise control which is doable on the older engine way easier than the newer one. I would find a PCM, TAC and pedal out of the same year truck (2003-2007obs) and run that. I think that would be the cheapest route and still get you what you are looking for.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
Personally if it were me, I would stick with the GenIII stuff and not bother with the newer intake and throttle body if you are on a budget. I really don't think you are going to notice much of a difference using it. Also, The GenIV PCM won't work on the GenIII engine if it has the 24x crank sensor. You also mentioned you want cruise control which is doable on the older engine way easier than the newer one. I would find a PCM, TAC and pedal out of the same year truck (2003-2007obs) and run that. I think that would be the cheapest route and still get you what you are looking for.
That intake seems to be worth 10- 20rwhp on some combos, which is substantial. I suppose I will just use a 2006 pedal, tac, harness, and pcm. I can get those for pretty cheap. Then I can just use the x link and I will be all set. I was just looking to see if I had any other options. A $1000 setup from a supplier is just not in the budget. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 12-25-2016, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U can shave the original truck intake if it fits under your hood. Little better torque than car intake. Using what u said for injectors will require different plug ends as they are different. Lt1Swap did my L33 pcm and I'm happy with him. Did a good street tune and it sounds about the same as the 268 cammed 355 I had in car. Just a lot more responsive.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, wanted to share my experience since I recently converted my LM7 to DBW. I also have an L33 that will go in the car soon.

I started with a DBC LM7 harness, but I found a complete uncut DBW harness at the junkyard by my house on a 2004 Flex Fuel Suburban. The Flex Fuel trucks (L59 engine code) have bigger 33# injectors (L33s are 25#) and return-style rails, which made it drop in to my DBC setup.

If you have a good junkyard near you, I strongly recommend this route. Just grab everything from the same truck so you know that the parts are compatible. The uncut harness, TAC, and pedal was $60 out the door. My L33 had the DBW TB on it but I'm sure they don't charge much for them.

From what I read, the TB and TAC need to match, but some pedals are interchangeable. I'm using a 2006 L33 TB on a 2004 Suburban TAC and pedal though. Also, the truck pedals are really large, so I cut mine down to fit in my 240SX and it's too stiff now since I changed the leverage on the pedal. I recently read that the 2006ish trucks had the Corvette style pedals (that swing down from the mount instead of go up like the earlier truck pedals) so I would suggest trying to find a truck with that pedal type.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2016, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FlatBlack
Hello, wanted to share my experience since I recently converted my LM7 to DBW. I also have an L33 that will go in the car soon.

I started with a DBC LM7 harness, but I found a complete uncut DBW harness at the junkyard by my house on a 2004 Flex Fuel Suburban. The Flex Fuel trucks (L59 engine code) have bigger 33# injectors (L33s are 25#) and return-style rails, which made it drop in to my DBC setup.

If you have a good junkyard near you, I strongly recommend this route. Just grab everything from the same truck so you know that the parts are compatible. The uncut harness, TAC, and pedal was $60 out the door. My L33 had the DBW TB on it but I'm sure they don't charge much for them.

From what I read, the TB and TAC need to match, but some pedals are interchangeable. I'm using a 2006 L33 TB on a 2004 Suburban TAC and pedal though. Also, the truck pedals are really large, so I cut mine down to fit in my 240SX and it's too stiff now since I changed the leverage on the pedal. I recently read that the 2006ish trucks had the Corvette style pedals (that swing down from the mount instead of go up like the earlier truck pedals) so I would suggest trying to find a truck with that pedal type.

Good luck!
Thanks for all the information! The nnbs intake has flex fuel injectors which is great because I will need bigger injectors for my combo. I will look for a flex fuel harness but I can always change the connectors or use adapters if necessary.

So I guess I would want to use a 2007+ tac and pedal to work with the newer Tb on the nnbs intake. I'm thinking that that tac won't work with a 2003-2006 harness and pcm. It is sounding like the x link is my only option.
Old 12-26-2016, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts

The e40 ecm is a possibility. I have a 2006 ls2 out if a gto and it's a 24x reluctor gen IV engine. No tac module required. I'd follow the advice someone already gave you and have a reputable outfit build you one. Bill at BP Automotive is good and he is a site member.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I have an 06 L33 pedal, TAC, throttle body, and PCM off of my L33. I converted to cable throttle to give me more throttle body options.
The only problem is the PCM is set up for a 3 bar turbo setup.
If you decide to go that route, I'll cut you a deal on it all.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeNova
I have an 06 L33 pedal, TAC, throttle body, and PCM off of my L33. I converted to cable throttle to give me more throttle body options.
I appreciate you offering up that option. I will definitely be in touch if I decide to go that way. My PCM will need some work done with the tuner in any case since I am going to be running different injectors, headers, and a good size cam. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2016, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Can you pm me with what you would want for the pedal and tac module? Thanks!
Old 12-28-2016, 06:36 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Novapat67
Can you pm me with what you would want for the pedal and tac module? Thanks!
Can't PM. I'm on probation lol.

TAC, pedal, ECU, throttle body, and I'll throw in the part of the harness for the DBW stuff so you can convert over a DBC harness if need be for $150. I just need them gone at this point.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Probably know this already but you could run a 3 to 4 bolt throttle body adapter from someone like ict billet...just a cheaper option than the x-link but obviously compromise a little running the smaller tb. then you can just run all the gen3 parts...harness, computer, tb, etc module , pedal etc...
Old 12-30-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

After some consideration, I'm leaning towards just going DBC and getting an aftermarket 90-92mm TB and a dbc cruise control module from a truck. It should be a little cheaper. The mixed reviews on the x-link from both users and harness suppliers is what really swayed me...

Thanks for for all the help and advice in this thread!

Quick Reply: l33 swap questions about tac, pedal, and tb