Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Find the faults in the schematic I drew for my swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Find the faults in the schematic I drew for my swap

I am swapping a LQ4 carb T56 setup in my 72 Nova.

I drew a schematic so I can wire my car. The circuits are: Start, Charge, Ignition, and Start.

I would appreciate it if I could get a second set of eyes on it for review. I do not want to fry anything or catch the car on fire.

I posted this in NEWB Tech yesterday and did not get any responses so I am posting it here. If I am in the wrong location then please point me to the correct location I should post this.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the ignition is hot in run and crank. Or else it won't spark while you're cranking.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Do you want 10+ amps going thru your ign switch.How is the relay wired ? If the fuel pump power comes from the cb than the control circuit needs <1 amp protection.
In the alt control circuit the resistor goes to ignition or you will discharge the batt with
the engine off. Steve
Old 05-17-2017, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

You don't have the pins labeled on the relay so I can't tell you if it's correct or not, but assuming the top wires are 85 and 86 for the coil and the bottom are 30 and 87 it's correct.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
Make sure the ignition is hot in run and crank. Or else it won't spark while you're cranking.
I am going to confirm the circuit continuity for this. I don't want to drop fuel and spark when the key is switched to crank.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1964SS
You don't have the pins labeled on the relay so I can't tell you if it's correct or not, but assuming the top wires are 85 and 86 for the coil and the bottom are 30 and 87 it's correct.
1964SS, you are correct in your assumption. I didn't label the poles.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by EFIHARNESS
Do you want 10+ amps going thru your ign switch.How is the relay wired ? If the fuel pump power comes from the cb than the control circuit needs <1 amp protection.
In the alt control circuit the resistor goes to ignition or you will discharge the batt with
the engine off. Steve
Steve/EFIHarness,
For the time being I am only running two circuits (Fuel relay & MSD ign), so yes I am okay with running that through the ignition switch. Long term, once more circuits are added I will change the design.
From your other two sentences I am gathering you are saying.
1. I could safely get away with a lower AMP fuse in the fuel pump relay control circuit?
2. The ALT circuit, the resistor is for the ignition input wire and the voltage-sensing wire. I am confused by your statement of discharging the battery.
Thank you for your reply!!
Old 05-17-2017, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On your fuse block, there is a IGN spot open, use that for the 12v crank source...

Doing a turbo 72 nova myself as well
Old 05-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Launching!

On the alt circuit, yes to the ign and not to battery. On relay control, the only current you are drawing is the coil in the relay (<1/2 amp). Steve
Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would bring the feeds for the alternator and ignition switch to the battery positive end instead of the starter terminal.Shorter,less hassle and keeps them away from the exhaust heat.You may also want to consider using the Ford remote solenoid trick to help with hot cranking.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Thank so for the replies.

The battery is in the trunk and cable is already routed. Thank you for the info on the alternator drawing power with the drawing I did. I have corrected it and if anyone wants it for future reference can upload the new schematic/ diagram.

This overall isn't going to be permanent, just temporary. I have to move in a a lil over a month and would ideally like to have my car moving under its own power.

Quick Reply: Find the faults in the schematic I drew for my swap