Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter for ls w/ 621 bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 06:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter for ls w/ 621 bellhousing?

Anyone know which starter I need for a 5.3 with a manual t10 using a 621 bellhousing?
Trying to save myself multiple trips to the parts store.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If the flywheel is the same diameter as the stock flex plate, you would use the stock starter.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If the flywheel is the same diameter as the stock flex plate, you would use the stock starter.
So any starter for s 5.3 or should I look it up under a car with a manual and 4.8?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The bellhousing shouldn't affect the choice of a starter. I'm running a Kiesler knock off of a 621 bell on a 6.0 and bought a generic "LS" starter. Like said above if you have a stock flywheel and don't have header issues than a stock starter should bolt right up.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The bellhousing shouldn't affect the choice of a starter. I'm running a Kiesler knock off of a 621 bell on a 6.0 and bought a generic "LS" starter. Like said above if you have a stock flywheel and don't have header issues than a stock starter should bolt right up.
I realize this isn't what the OP is asking but the statement, "The bellhousing shouldn't affect the choice of a starter." Is not accurate as a blanket statement. The 2004-2006 GTO bellhousing requires a stater specific to that application. You cannot use an F-Body starter.

Although the F-Body and GTO bellhousings looks the same, they are not. Thus the need for the GTO specific starter.

Tipsy
Old 08-03-2017, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
I realize this isn't what the OP is asking but the statement, "The bellhousing shouldn't affect the choice of a starter." Is not accurate as a blanket statement. The 2004-2006 GTO bellhousing requires a stater specific to that application. You cannot use an F-Body starter.

Although the F-Body and GTO bellhousings looks the same, they are not. Thus the need for the GTO specific starter.

Tipsy

Sachs 1050 flywheel. Should I ask or a generic ls Starter or would asking for one from a ls1/t56 fbody be better or any different?
Old 08-03-2017, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Get a starter for the truck motor. Doesn't matter auto or manual. GTO or CTS-V starters wont work.
Early f body LS1 starters had a habit of breaking at the shorter bolt.
You might have to clearance the bellhousing at the starter a bit. One of mine was very tight.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garys 68
Get a starter for the truck motor. Doesn't matter auto or manual. GTO or CTS-V starters wont work.
Early f body LS1 starters had a habit of breaking at the shorter bolt.
You might have to clearance the bellhousing at the starter a bit. One of mine was very tight.

Appreciate the answer.

Quick Reply: Starter for ls w/ 621 bellhousing?