Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Corsa exhaust setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never been in a Corsa equipped car. I only hear people raving that there is no cabin noise...but again like Michael pointed out, all subjective.

Hell I would entertain the mustang mufflers due to the efficiency and price point. Many associate stock systems with power loss etc. But again as Michael pointed out components upstream have a large effect.

Another example of this is buying a badly designed merge pipe from companies like Pacesetter for an Fbody. The y merge is terrible and the sound reflects that. Build a proper merge and the resulting sound is much smoother.

I got sick of the y pipe on my car and went all out on a new system.

Old 01-05-2018, 02:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

The other way you know the Stang mufflers are fairly efficient is when the boy-racers dump the stockers for Flowmasters and repeat their dyno, they only pick up a few HP at the top.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
LOL - almost 5 decades of playing with these things - I've yet to come across one that's quiet on the inside and loud on the outside....
My CTSV is rather loud on the outside, quiet on the inside. Im sure some of that is caddy sound deadening stuff, but some of it is just purely lack of resonance frequencies because they have been tuned out
Old 01-05-2018, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Btw, I'd be pretty happy with something like this, which is pretty close to my CTSV sound. Note when they drive in the car and its not really loud at all. My only questioning is, how much of that engineering do I lose in regards to changes in pipe length if using the original X pipe, mufflers, tips, any resonators, etc.

Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I should've clarified -- talking about old hot rods, not newer stuff with MUCH more work put into sound deadening, NVH reduction, frequency tuning, intake noise, etc.... Hell, several companies are now piping noise into the cockpit or delivering it/cancellation through the stereo system. Oh my.

As for "Note when they drive in the car and its not really loud at all...." -- as mentioned before, the delusions of recordings can be enticing. Won't really know what it sounds like inside a particular car with a particular set of ears until you try it. But it sounds like you have a path that may work for you....so that's a good thing. Let us know how things turn out.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Here is a video I put together when I had my Mach1. This was going from generic Magnaflow mufflers that fit the application to Dynomax VT mufflers. So this has no "Corsa" technology and reduced interior cabin noise significantly, primarily drone. Magna flow at 70mph and 2000rpm uphill under load was 84. Same test with VT mufflers yielded 77. Decibels are not linear so 84 to 77 delta does not seem like a lot but it is.

When people do the Helmholtz resonator pipe length, they assume speed of sound value at the given exhaust gas temperature. You assume speed of sound, that it's a V8 and you plug in what RPM you currently have drone.I have gone as far as using excel to calculate the 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 and full length frequency then plotted the pipe lengths against the full RPM range.

The lower in the rpm range you want to eliminate the drone, the longer the wavelength is and therefore the longer the pipe needed.

That said, the VT mufflers do not give the raw Corsa sound and the internal valves can "clang" slightly if you have a big cam and or when they are cold.

Last edited by smitty2919; 01-07-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Some also complain that the packing burns out on the VT’s - and they get noticeably louder. Math always wins - the 1/4 wave tubes get really long in 6 and 4 cylinder applications, especially with drone at lower rpm.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 01-07-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I have the Corsa mufflers on my '05 V, and also love the balance of drone-free cruising and awesome sound when you get on it. Had the Magnaflow setup on the car prior to Corsa - I thought it sounded great, too, but the drone was definitely an issue.

I don't have any answers to your questions, but I've wondered the same things. Could I find a used setup to scavenge the mufflers for my Mustang, and if I did, how much different would the sound be? Would it even work right? Part of the problem is that it won't be cheap to experiment - finding a used setup is hard enough, let alone one that the seller's asking price isn't $$$.

(Hindsight being 20/20, I should've snagged the Corsa mufflers off the 300 SRT8 that my brother had a couple years back before he traded it in.)
Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

I would like to think that you won't INCREASE the drone by using mufflers from a different application.

The whole point is to cancel drone of X frequency on a V8 motor. So YOUR car may have drone at 2500rpm while the mufflers you use may have drone at 2000rpm.

Research the mufflers you want. Then ask around where in the rpm range that car sees drone typically. If it's in the same ballpark +-200rpm from your car I bet they would work for you.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've installed mustang corsa and gto corsa on my chevy c10 with a ls3 engine. They have the corsa sound but the mustang corsa sports are louder at idle an not deep sounding. The gto corsa sports have a deeper idle and not as loud. There is a little drone at 2200 with both and I installed them all the way to the rear bumper. The first 2 miles after a cold start the drone is some what loud but after warmup it gets quiet. Full throttle they are both loud but sounds real good. I had borla xr1 and hooker max flow before and the drone was real bad.

Quick Reply: Custom Corsa exhaust setup?