Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Profile Oil Pans

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Low Profile Oil Pans

I've already read through the sticky about various oil pans. I am in need of a wet sump pan that's around 4.5" max depth since I do not want the pan sticking out below the frame. The pan itself has no need for any clearance needs since it is an open chassis frame. It seems like my best fit is the stock GM C6 pan.

Initially I was looking at Champ pans for their road course pan but it would hang 1" below the frame and I'm not a fan of losing the protection, especially since I'm lowered.

Has anyone found another option for a low profile pan that is suitable for road course?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dry sump pan....?
Old 01-05-2018, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by my bandit
I've already read through the sticky about various oil pans. I am in need of a wet sump pan that's around 4.5" max depth since I do not want the pan sticking out below the frame. The pan itself has no need for any clearance needs since it is an open chassis frame. It seems like my best fit is the stock GM C6 pan.

Initially I was looking at Champ pans for their road course pan but it would hang 1" below the frame and I'm not a fan of losing the protection, especially since I'm lowered.

Has anyone found another option for a low profile pan that is suitable for road course?
I'm in the same boat, looking for lowest possible wet sump pan and no need to clear any cross members etc. I also came to the same conclusion that the stock Corvette oil pan would be the best bet. The measurement I found stated 4.85"

Any one disagree?

Is this the correct part # 12624617?

My plan is to replace my LS7 with an LS3 and sell the car (kit-car) and keep the LS7 for my next project. I know there are LS3's with dry sump from the C6 G/S Corvette but they are few and far apart and probably more expensive.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crash41301
Dry sump pan....?
I don't want to spend upwards of $3k for a dry sump system. Plus my accessory drive does not allow for an external pump (front plate, camaro/truck offset)

Originally Posted by EVOVII_SWE
I'm in the same boat, looking for lowest possible wet sump pan and no need to clear any cross members etc. I also came to the same conclusion that the stock Corvette oil pan would be the best bet. The measurement I found stated 4.85"

Any one disagree?

Is this the correct part # 12624617?

My plan is to replace my LS7 with an LS3 and sell the car (kit-car) and keep the LS7 for my next project. I know there are LS3's with dry sump from the C6 G/S Corvette but they are few and far apart and probably more expensive.
To my knowledge, the C6 LS3 Dry sump engine runs a different crankshaft to run the dry sump oil pump. The cost to retrofit a wetsump would not be worth the cost on a standard LS3 either.

That is the correct part number. You will also need the pickup tube, windage tray, etc. to complete the swap.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a few pics of my Corvette engine sitting on a trailer for reference. I’m no expert but I don’t know of any pan that is more shallow than this. If the wings are not a problem, it could be a good choice. Shouldn’t be hard to find one at a good price as they usually can’t be used in most swaps.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

After taking measurements, the headers will not clear the wings of the batwing unfortunately. My plan was the 2 piece batwing and the improved racing oil bits but it looks like im back to just the stock ls3 corvette pan. Once I lower the car to the ground and see the true clearances, then I will know what I can run
Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look at the later C6 pan, I've got one on my Rambler swap...
Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Look at the later C6 pan, I've got one on my Rambler swap...
Yea, that's the one that I seem to keep falling back to. I'm just worried about oil starvation on the track with that one. A dry sump system is just too much for the budget right now.
Old 01-08-2018, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes, the shallowest wet sump pan available is the C6 pan. If you're doing any sort of racing, we make a baffle and crank scraper setup for it.

The C5 pan is also about the same depth, but it's very expensive.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

Quick Reply: Low Profile Oil Pans