Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VSS Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VSS Question

I am working on a LS swap into a BMW E34. I am starting to do a little bit of the wireing and I had a quick question regarding the VSS, I am using a 5.3 as a base engine and harness from an 01 Silverado and a TR6060 from a 12 Camaro I believe. The car has a speed sensor on the diff so I was wondering if the VSS wiring could be removed from the engine harness, or does it serve a purpose in a manual trans car for more than just the speedometer?
Old 02-01-2019, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

I think the tuner guys would say leave the VSS if you have it.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I think the tuner guys would say leave the VSS if you have it.
I guess you are right. Probably does not take too much space. Now given I am using a 5.3 auto harness, are the plugs the same on the TR6060 sensor?
Old 02-01-2019, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

Several things at work here -- and I'm certainly no expert. I believe the ECU uses the VSS signal to help manage what occurs, for example, when you're off the gas decelerating to a stop, and the injectors are basically turned 'off' to conserve fuel. If the ECU knows how fast the car is going, it can manage smoother transitions back to idle mode - which require the injectors to be reactivated. Some folks complain of manual tranny's wanting to stall when coming to a stop if no VSS signal is present. Many have said you can tune your way around this -- or a knowledgable tuner can tune their way around it. From my research a few years back, I think the 6 speed manual and the auto trannies have different tooth counts on their reluctors. Seems one has a 17 tooth reluctor and the other a 40 tooth reluctor - the smaller number in the manual tranny. So your ecu will be expecting one or the other in terms of pulses per mile. I've also read folks say that just about any VSS signal will give the computer what it wants to manage this. I use the manual tranny sensor on a homemade 9 tooth reluctor mounted on the pinion flange and mine seems to work just fine. No idea if the auto plug and the manual plug are the same....

Whole different can of worms if you need the VSS to also serve an electronic speedo -- you have to figure out how to give the ECU and the speedo precisely what they want. Tuners can help with that also.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The car can have stalling problems with a manual and no VSS.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Michael and Gary are correct. The vehicle will likely have stalling issues without the PCM knowing the car is moving. For motion purposes the signal doesn't need to be accurate but it does need to be consistent. The closer to accurate the smoother things will be.

...and before someone says "I don't have a VSS signal and my car is fine..." I'll say this is like many things - it can work without one but it will be closer to optimum from the start with the VSS installed. Besides it's only two wires.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need VSS with the manual trans also. The PCM need it for example to for idle spark, etc...
Old 02-02-2019, 08:24 AM
Teching In

I really do appreciate everyone’s input here. So I will keep all the VSS input pins and hook up a new VSS plug for the TR6060. I will talk to the tuner about the trigger wheel just so it is closer to a Camaro.