Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Team Z Metal Matrix SBF K-memeber and Dirty Dingo LS mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Team Z Metal Matrix SBF K-memeber and Dirty Dingo LS mounts

Looking for opinions... I currently have a Team Z SBF K member in my 79 Capri but ran across a deal on a built LS based engine. I saw the Dirty Dingo mounts for the stock K member and was wondering if anyone has ever used them on the Team Z SBF K member. I am assuming it would work but didn't know if there would be any issues. I may just bite the bullet and swap in a Team Z LSX K member but I thought by doing this it would give me more options in the future.

Thoughts?
Old 02-26-2019, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

I can tell you that the use of those stacked plate engine mount adapters will come with an engine/crankshaft height penalty.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I can tell you that the use of those stacked plate engine mount adapters will come with an engine/crankshaft height penalty.
That's what I as thinking but I believe the Team Z piece lowers the engine a small bit compared to the stock k member.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Double00gt
That's what I as thinking but I believe the Team Z piece lowers the engine a small bit compared to the stock k member.
Negative. I tested the Team Z SB 302 Fox Body K-member for compatibility with the Hooker Blackheart Mustang LS swap system during development of that application and the planes of the engine mount surfaces of that K-member were ever so slightly higher than the mounting plane surfaces of the stock K-member (it forced the engine higher in the car by about 3/16"-1/4" when tested with the Hooker Blackheart stock K-member engine mounting brackets). The Team Z swap K-member is highly usable for an LS swap however.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Negative. I tested the Team Z SB 302 Fox Body K-member for compatibility with the Hooker Blackheart Mustang LS swap system during development of that application and the planes of the engine mount surfaces of that K-member were ever so slightly higher than the mounting plane surfaces of the stock K-member (it forced the engine higher in the car by about 3/16"-1/4" when tested with the Hooker Blackheart stock K-member engine mounting brackets). The Team Z swap K-member is highly usable for an LS swap however.

So the Blackheart mounts would work with the Team Z? I like that design much better
Old 02-26-2019, 04:43 PM
Banned

So the Blackheart mounts would work with the Team Z? I like that design much better
There are Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets designed for use with the Team Z swap member, but if you are asking if the Hooker Blackheart engine mounting brackets for the stock and Maximum Motorsports MMKM-1 K-members will work with the Team Z SB Ford K-member, the answer is no. The reasons for that is the previously mentioned higher position of the engine mount planes on the Team Z SB Ford K-member and the fact that the mount stud slot geometry is also not a direct replication of the mounting slot/hole geometry of the stock K-member. Those engine brackets worked out to fit the Maximum Motorsports MMKM-1 K-member due to the engine mount plane location of the MMKM-1 being a dead-ringer for the stock K-member and the mounting stud slot geometry being close enough that the installation of the Hooker Blackheart engine brackets could be accomodated merely by instructing the installer where to drill a couple of holes in the mount planes of the MMKM-1 K-member. The same cannot be accomplished on the Team Z, or UPR SB Ford K-members.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

So the Team Z swap kmember would have to be used .... I got it now. Took me a minute but I see what you are saying.

Last edited by Double00gt; 02-26-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:20 PM
Banned

So the Team Z swap kmember would have to be used .... I got it now. Took me a minute but I see what you are saying.
Yes, that’s it. Going to the Team Z swap K-member from the one you have also broadens your oil pan choices as well since the steering rack mounts are positioned at least an inch lower.

Last edited by user 4737373; 02-26-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Listed my sbf k member online for sale and within 2 hr I have swapped a sbf k member for a ls swap k member!

Thanks everyone for the info!
Old 02-26-2019, 08:13 PM
Banned

Nice.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

looking around today getting ready to order mounts for the Team Z swap k member and see where Hooker offers two different sets with one being 1/2" lower .... Which one would you recommend?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

The 1/2” drop mounts are handy if you are trying to obtain extra under hood component clearance, like when trying to fit a truck FEAD alternator under a stock hood. If you aren’t in need of that clearance up top, I would use use the stock height mounting brackets as they provide maximum ground clearance and clearance between the oil pan and steering rack. Do you have any idea how old the Team Z swap K-member you traded for is? I ask, because the Hooker brackets were designed for their current production K-member and I have no idea if they’ve made design revisions to it over the years. You could call them to get an absolute answer on that.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

I talked to Frank at Team Z and sent some pics and he said it was the later style. He said if the tubes that go up from the k member to the engine mounts are staggered then it is the later design. If the tubes are on the same plane it is the earlier style.

. Hood clearance isnt an issue for me so I guess I'm going to go with the stock height set and see how it works out.
Thanks again for the info
Old 03-05-2019, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you do any research on teamz Ls k-member here on the tech ?? Lots of problems.......if i remember correctly a 4l80e, t56 and 4l60e don't fit......and some conversion headers don't clear the steering shaft because the motor sits up to high........... I have used 3 AJE k-members and the AJE transmission cross member and no problems...
Old 03-05-2019, 06:18 AM
Banned

It’s always good to have a firm answer. Glad I could help with the information...sometimes it’s the best tool you have to avoid frustration and inconvenience.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by booboo37
Did you do any research on teamz Ls k-member here on the tech ?? Lots of problems.......if i remember correctly a 4l80e, t56 and 4l60e don't fit......and some conversion headers don't clear the steering shaft because the motor sits up to high........... I have used 3 AJE k-members and the AJE transmission cross member and no problems...

I did read through alot of threads about the issues. My car was already setup with the Team Z pieces and I like their products. All the issues shouldn't affect my car since I'll be running a TH350 and using the Hooker mounts and Headers.

If I was starting fresh i would have probably went a different route with the MM k kmember. I know everyone likes the AJE piece but i cant get past the looks of it and the control arms. I know its proven to work but I am a little OCD when it comes to the look. My cross member will be a Stifflers piece since the design on the 79-81 cars are a little different from 82-93.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Banned

It’s good that you read through the threads you did. Everything you read about the fitment of the Team Z K-member in an LS swap was related to it being used with their engine mounting brackets also, which are designed with a different geometry recipe than I used for the design of the Hooker Blackheart engine brackets. Whether you are using a stock, Maximum Motorsports, AJE or Team Z K-member, the engine stays in the exact same location using the Hooker Blackheart engine brackets. That means if you want to change to a different K-member down the road you can do so by just buying a different set of mounting brackets. The Hooker Blackheart headers will still fit also. You won’t have any problems installing any of the transmissions referenced either, I went through the mock-ups of all of them while designing the transmission crossmembers from the Hooker Blackheart swap system.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

There is not a trans cross member listed for the 79-81 though correct? I didn't see one.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Banned

There is not a trans cross member listed for the 79-81 though correct? I didn't see one.
It depends on the specific transmission you are wanting to use. Tell me what you plan on using and I can give you guidance based on that.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by toddoky
it depends on the specific transmission you are wanting to use. Tell me what you plan on using and i can give you guidance based on that.
th-350