Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

acquiring a '66 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default acquiring a '66 GTO

In 2013, my father-in-law bought a '66 GTO. The 389 was long gone, and the interior & exterior colors weren't original. Since Ponchos have the VIN stamped onto the block, there's no way to legitimately return the car to numbers-matching. The original colors were turquoise also, and it would be a travesty to return it from midnight blue & black to those colors. So it's definitely getting an LS or LT swap.

I'm doing a project for him in exchange for the GTO itself. The car is still in really good shape though, so I'm planning an LS/T56 swap with a full suspension upgrade. You can imagine how well-received that idea was at the GTO forum. Being away from forums over the last few years, I forgot how offended everyone loves to get on the internet. I had considered putting headers and an intake on the Pontiac 350, but that money would be better spend toward a future LS swap.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Its your Dads car, not those idiots on that forum. I say do a LS3 and a tranny of your choice. Holley has a nice swap kit that should bolt everything in. PLEASE ditch those Cregar rims. Enjoy the swap, it looks real nice.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Sweet ride! I like the cragars.. I'd go 383, AFR heads, nice cam, EFI..
Old 05-18-2019, 06:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,222 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Its your Dads car, not those idiots on that forum. I say do a LS3 and a tranny of your choice. Holley has a nice swap kit that should bolt everything in. PLEASE ditch those Cregar rims. Enjoy the swap, it looks real nice.
This. What a clean Goat! Normally not a fan of the Cragars either, but it does give it a real nice 60's vibe. Do what you like. It's a nice car!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

Love the old goats - do what you like - your money, your car. If the 400 departed and was replaced with a 350 Poncho motor - definitely LS-it.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
HAHA. I don't mind Cragars in general, but these 14's are way too dinky. I'll probably get the staggered 17" Rally replicas and mini-tub the thing to clear 315's.

Originally Posted by Dren
Sweet ride! I like the cragars.. I'd go 383, AFR heads, nice cam, EFI..

The plan is to do a 429 stroker from Texas Speed with their ported 243 heads and a T56. I'll probably use the Holley Dominator setup instead of dicking around with the stock ECU.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 345 Likes on 233 Posts

LQ9, 4.030 X 4.125...421ci. Classic Pont engine ci. Throw a set of these on it...

(Yeah, I know these have been done to death, but they're so cool on the 65-67 LS GTO)

Hit all the purist Goat boards...eff all the haters.

P.S. definitely a T56.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by rumblebox
The plan is to do a 429 stroker from Texas Speed with their ported 243 heads and a T56. I'll probably use the Holley Dominator setup instead of dicking around with the stock ECU.
The Dominator is awesome, but unless you're doing a bunch of fancy stuff that requires a ton of inputs and outputs, the new Terminator X Max is plenty. I would get the Max because I love DBW.

As for the Pontiac forum, yeah, been there done that. Those guys (not all) get so butthurt, as if I just insulted their mother. I got a ton of flack building my 70 GTO first with a 502 BBC and then doing the LS swap in 2008.

Andrew
Old 05-19-2019, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a really easy swap. It wont hurt the value one bit. You will absolutely create a much more reliable, economical driver that will out perform the 400 Pontiac any day of the week and not overheat even in the hottest weather.
I have done both. Pontiac engines and LS swaps. I can say that I for one wouldn't waste the money on the Pontiac. The only caveat would be if the car was something really special with a great deal of provenance.
It's your car. DO what makes you happy. If one of the Pontiac guys really flips out, make it easy. Put a price on the car. If it is so important to him that the Pontiac engine is used, let him put his money where his mouth is. That is exactly what I did when all the haters were telling me what to do. Shut them all up real quick.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

To me, what makes a car "what it is" is the body style, interior, suspension dynamics, and a few other things. NOT the engine/tranny.
The LS is a GM engine. Not Chevy or Pontiac as it has been installed in BOTH. It's an update on the SBC, BBC, Pontiac, and ALL other GM V8 engines of the past.
To me, an LS engine in ANY GM car is an update/upgrade. No more, no less.
So-called "loyalists" to the old iron are living their lives in a well-defined rut.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

If it had the numbers matching engine the swap would certainly kill the value but since that's not the case and you're not building it to sell in the first place do what you want and ignore everyone else. I think wheels are generational thing, I like the old school look on old school cars because that's how I remember them when I was younger. I'm also a fan of a nice smooth ride and low profile tire/wheel combo's aren't the best choice if that's what you're after. Cars from the 60's and 70's didn't handle for **** but quite a few were smooth cruisers and new cars just don't have it.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

I too will have to agree, it's your car, do with it what makes you happy. I kind of like the Cragars too, but that mural of someone walking to the trash can on the passenger side would have to go.....
Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I too will have to agree, it's your car, do with it what makes you happy. I kind of like the Cragars too, but that mural of someone walking to the trash can on the passenger side would have to go.....
Yeah..... not a good look.... LOL
Old 05-19-2019, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 468 Likes on 352 Posts

[QUOTE=oldgoat69;20097722]If it is so important to him that the Pontiac engine is used, let him put his money where his mouth is. /QUOTE]

Yup - tell the haters they have 2 options -- 1) Keep shoving cash at you until you have a big enough pile that you're happy letting the car go and then it's theirs, they can do what want; or 2) STFU. Gripes my butt. Tell me you like my car. Tell me you hate my car. Tell me what you'd do if it was your car. But don't tell me what I can/can't do to my own damn car. I get enough of that from the government.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Michael Yount

Yup - tell the haters they have 2 options -- 1) Keep shoving cash at you until you have a big enough pile that you're happy letting the car go and then it's theirs, they can do what want; or 2) STFU. Gripes my butt. Tell me you like my car. Tell me you hate my car. Tell me what you'd do if it was your car. But don't tell me what I can/can't do to my own damn car. I get enough of that from the government.
Well put, Michael!
Old 05-19-2019, 09:45 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smile

Love the car and have a 66 Chevelle done with a full ls swap and 4l60e and would never go back to a conventional small block/ 3 spd trans. Haters will be haters. Build it the way you like it.I recently ran into one of these idiots at a car show that could not refrain from giving me his 2 cents in regards to what i did to my car. As the comedian Ron White would say,He had the right to remain silent but lacked the ability. If something I see does not suit my tastes I don't comment on it. To each their own. Enjoy your ride and any positive comments you receive.

Last edited by mantycarguy; 05-19-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: punctuaion
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rumblebox
In 2013, my father-in-law bought a '66 GTO. The 389 was long gone, and the interior & exterior colors weren't original. Since Ponchos have the VIN stamped onto the block, there's no way to legitimately return the car to numbers-matching. The original colors were turquoise also, and it would be a travesty to return it from midnight blue & black to those colors. So it's definitely getting an LS or LT swap.…...
I will only say this: My first three cars were Pontiacs (two were Formulas)…….and IF IT WERE MY GTO, I'd drop in a heads/cam LS3 with the T-56 and some 4.10'ish rear gears....then I'd go from there.

Best of luck....let us know what YOU decide!

KW
Old 05-26-2019, 07:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Ths old pontiac guys are nuts.

just outside of Chicago every year there is an event called Indian Uprising. Its an all Pontiac show with mostly original cars. I know those guys are gonna be pissed when I show up in my Father's Ls1 powered 67 GTO this year. Most of the cars at the event will drive in leaking coolant or oil from somewhere windows down sweating their nuts off and hoping to get 9 mpg. They just dont understand what we know.... driveability, fuel injection, no leaks, and vintage air. your car your way.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Brer Rabbit- Man, that is one FINE looking Goat!
And I'm sure it goes without saying that it runs REAL well on a little gas and gets you there cool, calm, and collected!
Old 05-27-2019, 12:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Brer Rabbit
Most of the cars at the event will drive in leaking coolant or oil from somewhere windows down sweating their nuts off and hoping to get 9 mpg. They just dont understand what we know.... driveability, fuel injection, no leaks, and vintage air. your car your way.
No reason for them to leak or only get 9mpg, Had many 400 Pontiacs and always got 13-15mpg in town and 16-17 on road trips, Air worked better back then with R12 then they do now. I'm not saying you shouldn't do the swap by any means, It's your car but the old Pontiacs were and still are great engines.