Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pan capacity confusion

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pan capacity confusion

so i swapped in a ls3/4l65 connect and cruise in to my buddies 65 chevelle using BRP mounts, cross-member and headers. of course the factory pan wouldnt clear so he ordered #19212593 oil pan kit as suggested from the dealer (pan,tray,pick up,dipstick and tube. I had to remove the new pan and modify(slightly) for tie rod clearance and once installed i dumped in 5 liters of oil. upon checking the level before start up i noticed it was over filled...a lot. buddy rechecked the numbers with the dealer and they replied that it is the only one they sell for the a-bodys with the ls3 and the parts are correct and matching and is a 5 qt capacity. i drained out about 2.5 liters to get the level close to the full mark but this just isnt right. the pan is much smaller but looks like it should take 5liters. the dip stick is fully seated and i didnt mix up any of the part so what gives???

Last edited by mitch white; 08-13-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

That's the muscle car pan which is definitely a 5 quart pan. I'm baffled as well. In a 65 Chevelle isn't that pan hanging really low down below the crossmember? It's really not a good pan for that application in general. If you are looking to change it you might look into the Holley pan that gives great steering clearance and ground clearance is the 302-2. It might work with those mounts.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 PM

yes it is lower than the crossmember (not my choice). he paid dearly for it and would like to make it work as they wont take it back but still doesnt explane whats up with the capacity.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Yeah, that pan will definitely be too low for comfort in a 65 Chevelle... But at any rate, that pan holds 5 quarts, litres are about the same, so put 5 in and that will be full. Just because you didnt mess up on the parts doesnt mean that whoever you bought them from didnt. My guess is you have the wrong tube or dipstick for that pan.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:09 PM

it did come complete in a sealed box from gm but i guess anything is possible. i felt the same thing as LS1nova71, so i dumped 5 in an it smoked like a bastard and had oil dripping out the headers.I lowered the level again by 2.5 liters and it only smokes on a good rev. it seems over full.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch white
it did come complete in a sealed box from gm but i guess anything is possible. i felt the same thing as LS1nova71, so i dumped 5 in an it smoked like a bastard and had oil dripping out the headers.I lowered the level again by 2.5 liters and it only smokes on a good rev. it seems over full.
Sounds to me like you have other problems, oil should never come out of the headers..... So you are running it on basically 2 1/2 quarts and you think it's over full?
Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM

yes 2.5 liters. when i initially replaced the oil pan i was quite surprised at the amount of oil in a new crate motor and of course had the motor inverted for a time. I did see some oil coming from the t-body while upside down and im wondering if there is latent oil in it intake tract and thats what is coming out. going to pull the dipstick again and see if i can sort it out.anyone have a measurement for the dipstick for that pan? motor runs smooth,no codes or noises and the pcv is routed as gm prescribes. it smokes when reved up and not at a idle so maybe the increased airflow in the intake is picking up standing oil from the intake. many thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

My new LS3 came with a crankcase FULL of Mobil 1 5w30. First thing I did was check the oil and drain the crankcase. BEFORE inverting the motor on a stand. It'll take some time to get rid of oil that ended up where it shouldn't have ever been.

After that -- unfortunately, there's really only one way to determine with certainty the appropriate amount of oil fill once you've started modifying components. With the pan off the engine and sitting level. Measure how far the windage tray extends below the oil pan mounting surface of the block. Now mark that dimension on the inside of the pan (on the side) and fill the pan with fluid to that level keeping track of how many qts or liters it took. Empty pan. Put it back on the motor, level the motor. Install dipstick tube/stick. Put the amount of oil you measured before back in the motor. Note where the oil level is on the dipstick -- mark it by filing a small notch in the dipstick. That is YOUR new oil full level. And I'd want at least 4.5-5 qts. in one of these motors. More in a high performance application.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 08-14-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

The GM pan uses a certain dipstick and tube. I have one in my Monte and it takes like 6 quarts when dry. 5.5 or so on oil change. It does hang down an someday I will adress that.

Quick Reply: oil pan capacity confusion