Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 Chevelle LY6/4L80 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 70 Chevelle LY6/4L80 Swap

Starting a swap on my 70 Chevelle from the current SBC / 200R4 setup to a LY6 / 4L80E combo. Below are some pictures of the engine and trans combo I've purchased and some of the parts I've acquired so far. Plans are to use all the Blackheart components. Probably going to end up using the Holley Terminator X Max setup as I've got a cable driven throttle body I want to use. Plans are to sell the factory harness which is complete and not cut on at all. I want to retain my column shift if possible at all. I'm open to any suggestions anyone has as this will be my first complete swap to a late model drivetrain that I've done. I have all the main tools I should need and I have a 2 post Rotary lift so I'm good there.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts

I went Holley everything. Engine mounts, 302-2 oil pan and the Blackheart headers. Very happy. But mine is a tight fit with a 4L60E trans . . . yours will be even tighter. Likely time for some floor sheet metal surgery for you. I also replaced my senders - engine coolant temperature and knock sensors - easier to do before installation. I also had to go with a slightly smaller PS pump pulley but this may not apply to you.

Also figure out now what you are going to do for transmission cooling lines. I went with custom hoses with 90 degree fittings at the exit from the trans case to buy myself space for no rubbing against anything.

It took a few small cuts to shorten it but my Lokar universal column shifter is working great.

My 896 PCM fit on top of the glove box but had to move a little when my Classic Air Conditioning system evaporator case got in the way.

Rick

Last edited by B52bombardier1; 10-21-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
I went Holley everything. Engine mounts, 302-2 oil pan and the Blackheart headers. Very happy. But mine is a tight fit with a 4L60E trans . . . yours will be even tighter. Likely time for some floor sheet metal surgery for you. I also replaced my senders - engine coolant temperature and knock sensors - easier to do before installation. I also had to go with a slightly smaller PS pump pulley but this may not apply to you.

Also figure out now what you are going to do for transmission cooling lines. I went with custom hoses with 90 degree fittings at the exit from the trans case to buy myself space for no rubbing against anything.

It took a few small cuts to shorten it but my Lokar universal column shifter is working great.

My 896 PCM fit on top of the glove box but had to move a little when my Classic Air Conditioning system evaporator case got in the way.

Rick
Rick,
You got any pictures of your swap? Hopefully the power steering pulley will be fine as I have a Holley mid mount setup to run on mine. What transmission cross member did you use?
Old 10-22-2019, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Im running the Holley midmount accessories drive with their standard location brackets. I'm using a t56 so I had to modify my floor a good bit. The accessory drive clears everything but return line for the power steering is right next to the power steering box.

Also unless your motor is far from stock I'd get rid of the sniper intake, it looks good but it'll cost you alot of torque down low.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lawrenq
Im running the Holley midmount accessories drive with their standard location brackets. I'm using a t56 so I had to modify my floor a good bit. The accessory drive clears everything but return line for the power steering is right next to the power steering box.

Also unless your motor is far from stock I'd get rid of the sniper intake, it looks good but it'll cost you alot of torque down low.
My plan is to run the forward mounts that Holley makes with the hope that I can massage the floor enough to get the transmission to clear as I plan on running there transmission cross-member as well. Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Old 10-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris70Chevelle
My plan is to run the forward mounts that Holley makes with the hope that I can massage the floor enough to get the transmission to clear as I plan on running there transmission cross-member as well. Do you have any pictures of your setup?
Let me know if you need pictures of anything specific, it looks like everything will clear using the forward mounts.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 205 Likes on 165 Posts

Hello Chris,

Sure. I have lots of pictures and will take more of anything you want. As to your question, I'm using the stock, original transmission cross member to support my 4L60E. My frame rails were "pre-drilled" at the factory so that all I had to do was find a suitable set of frame rail holes for the length of the 4L60E and bolted it in. I spent more effort and thought on getting the cross member media blasted and painted than I did on mounting it.

Rick

Trending Topics

Old 10-28-2019, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same combo I've got for my 71 Cutlass, but Im using 243 heads and a TBSS intake off the motor that had piston slap/slop. I'm using the holley man and forward mounts, but I think we'll build a cross member.

I'll be following your journey.
Old 10-28-2019, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Sold the 406 / 200R4 combo out of my car this weekend so I'll be ordering more parts this week. Below is what I'm planning parts wise so far, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Holley Terminator X Max harness
Holley forward engine mounts
Holley Trans crossmember
Holley oil pan kit
Holley mid-length headers
Holley steam tube kit
Holley mid-length adapter pipes
Tanks Inc notched Chevelle EFI tank
Tanks Inc LS fuel line kit (this uses a corvette regulator / filter)
Tanks Inc tube fuel sender
Tanks Inc 255LPH fuel pump
Sac City Corvette Bar Bell
Trick Flow front VVT delete cover kit from Summit
Vintage Air sure fit kit
This is about as far as I've gotten so far and should get me pretty close, for the time being I'm going to try and run adapters and use the mechanical gauges that are currently in my car other than the electric speedometer.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:01 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,554 Likes on 2,186 Posts

The Holley stuff will save you headaches. Your not far from me at all. I’m in Gainesville all the time. I have a good friend over there with several Chevelle’s.
I saw the front plate and knew you were local. I started with an LY6 myself. Hit me up if you need help. Nice looking car!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Look into the Ricks fuel tank that uses the Camaro 5th gen. fuel pump which eliminates the need for the corvette filter/regulator and need for a fuel return line, it is a much cleaner and more reliable set up.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:57 AM
Staging Lane

Love your car! I'm going to have Chris at Straub Technologies cut a camshaft for me. I'm sure I'll have some questions, my tanks inc parts get delivered today along with the vintage air parts. I'm going to wait till later in the month when Holley runs there sale to order the other parts. My goal is to drive this thing to Rod Run in Pigeon Forge in the spring. The plate is kind of a cool story with the car, my dads parents bought this car new and my dad put the tag on the car in 1973-74 when 96 Rock was at what used to be Big G in Gainesville. Dad had drove his 57 Chevy to town that morning and washed it and then came back and got the Chevelle. When I put the Chevelle on the road and started working on it back in 2007 I found the tag in a box of paperwork and receipts and decided to put it on the car. The tag definitely shows its age up close but so does my car, other than paint everything on my car has been replaced including the interior. I just decided to leave the paint and rust alone for now and enjoy it as it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris70Chevelle:
Che70velle (10-31-2019), kpeters59 (11-01-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Staging Lane

Got a a lot parts in last week, got the engine torn down and about to send the heads to the machine shop to have them checked. These mid-length stainless headers from Hooker look nice!

The following 2 users liked this post by Chris70Chevelle:
130fe (12-18-2019), Goodmostly (01-02-2021)
Old 12-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Following this build. I’m in the process of picking up an LQ9/4L80E for my 70 Chevelle also. Bought this car my first when I was 16 now an old man at 52. Been waiting a life time to start mine FINALLY.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 911 Posts

Great project and wise choice of parts. I too would consider using a fuel tank with the modern fuel module.

Andrew
Old 12-15-2019, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

I ended up buying the notched Tanks Inc tank. Got a lot of the old wiring out this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails 70 Chevelle LY6/4L80 Swap-photo228.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-15-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm definitely watching this one. I have a 71 that I just finished the motor (427) and the trans(4l80E) is back from the builder. I ordered the stock location blackheart mounts and the blackheart trans crossmember. Right now the motor has almost stock 2010 camaro accessories on it with the only difference being that the power steering pump is a remote reservoir. I'm definitely interested in how the mid mount setup works for clearance.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

I ordered the forward bias mounts as everything I have read and other cars I've looked at the only for the 4L80E trans to clear the floor pans with cutting them is to use the forward bias blackheart mounts.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea from what I've read you should be good with a couple well placed hammer blows where I will have to do cutting and welding. I wanted the slight shift in weight and balance. I also wanted the extra room up front for piping.
Old 12-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you have a link to that, or is it their "dead head pump" option? I was going to go with Tanks Inc. notched unit, but I noticed the filter/regulator they carry isn't setup for high-hp applications...

Quick Reply: 70 Chevelle LY6/4L80 Swap