Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build: '99 Porsche C2 996 LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've unplugged my sensor as well and still get the light. It has to be something with the engine bay fan circuit. So for my radiator fans, I hooked those to the GM ECU and you can control the turn on temps with HP Tuners. If you are not using the GM ECU for your coolant fans you could probably have it run your fans in the engine bay for you.

Old 02-07-2023, 02:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Amille28
I've unplugged my sensor as well and still get the light. It has to be something with the engine bay fan circuit. So for my radiator fans, I hooked those to the GM ECU and you can control the turn on temps with HP Tuners. If you are not using the GM ECU for your coolant fans you could probably have it run your fans in the engine bay for you.
I have my GM PCM controlling my stock fans as well. Thats an interesting thought to use the GM trigger to turn on the engine bay fan as well though maybe I'll look into this a little more.
The following users liked this post:
Amille28 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SwapStang
In my 2000 C4 I ran my DME in parallel with my GM PCM so my coolant sensor is hooked up as if it were the original Pcar motor. Same with my coolant reservoir AND my temperature sensor for engine bay and I have no issues with the coolant gauge indicating anything other than temp. The underhood fan is also removed. Is your DME installed still?
Ok, I am running both the DME and the GM PCM like you. My coolant temp sensor is hooked up like yours, but as far as the temp sensor for the engine bay I have removed that and put in a 2500 Ohm resistor to "simulate" the signal from the temp sensor. My coolant temp gauge and oil pressure, RPM/Tach, Speedo, everything else I have working okay. Also the slow blink light takes about 10 minutes of drive time to come on. The light comes on even with the low coolant sensor unplugged. Some forums say that there is a metal float ball in the coolant reservoir that can get stuck which is how the sensor can tell if the coolant level is low. For me it shouldn't matter since I left my sensor unplugged.
I got this value from here:

https://viperformance.ee/toode/lampo...ch-0280130092/
Old 02-07-2023, 02:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

gtx- might be worth a recheck on the wires for oil pressure -there are several gn/wt wires .on the x59/2 connector pin 16 gn/re and pin 17 gn/wt .I am betting you don't have the right wire .
gtxracer (02-07-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dcd215
gtx- might be worth a recheck on the wires for oil pressure -there are several gn/wt wires .on the x59/2 connector pin 16 gn/re and pin 17 gn/wt .I am betting you don't have the right wire .
I’m using the original wires from the OEM harness. I’ll check at the plug for the colors but I think it may be a ground issue. I thinned this OEM harness but thought I preserved the grounds.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I figured it out at least for me. 01 996 C2 with DME 7.2. To avoid the slow flashing light on the coolant gauge on the dash de-pin connector III / pin 14 on the DME. Wire is Yellow and Blue with red dots on it. This wire is the signal from the DME computer to the dash to turn the flasher on. I have no cooling fan in the back so no need for the light right now unless i have low coolant. The low level indicator circuit should still work as advertised, however I have not tested it. Sorry for hijacking the thread but I know you guys know a ton about these cars.
gtxracer (02-13-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Been busy tinkering on the LS 996 and am now burnt out. I will post some updates below. Car is softly for sale, looking to part ways with my projects and focus on some other areas in life at the moment.

Asking $30k OBO for the car as-is. I’ve sunk at least 30k into it in the last few years. It’s fast as hell but I’d like to get back into regular surfing, mountain biking, and some other sports. I’m also shifting back into off-roading with Raptor which lost its engine a week ago. So I need make some adjustments and this 996 project needs to go.

I pulled the exhaust and ceramic coated the headers. I also added smaller resonator style bullet mufflers after the existing mufflers. It’s quieter now and a lot less heat in the engine bay.

I also added a LN Engineering water to oil cooler with a stainless mount behind the rear bumper and tire. It tucks neatly into the area where the OEM mufflers used to live. I used all AN fittings and lines again and it’s a super clean install. I’m very pleased with the outcome!

I designed new offset washers for the subwoofer box mount and has them 3D printed. They came out perfect! The mounts themselves were a couple degrees off, so those are being recut right now. This will close out the subwoofer box mount.

While the exhaust was out I tidied up quite a few areas. I replaced the 20AN line on the passengers side with a longer hose so the line is tucked away now, leaving more room for the air filter. I drilled holes for the air filter to pull fresh air out the deck lid. I mounted the MAT sensor in the air filter base for a nice clean install. I also found some tiny hood latch buttons from Quik Latch and installed those. Now the deck lid is flush with the tail lights and rear quarters, it came out very clean.

I replaced the cheap Canton dipstick with a new freshly black anodized Lokar dipstick and it’s muuuuuch cleaner. While I was in there I also installed two Spal puller fans to push fresh air through the bottom of the engine bay. I need to finish wiring these. I install a new coolant level sensor and cleaned up a few of the hose clamps with Gates heat shrink style clamps for a cleaner look. All in all it’s very clean looking now!

AC hoses have been custom made by Cold Hose in Florida. They were easy to work with and welded a fitting and crimped hoses to my existing Porsche lines. I also bought a low mile C5 Corvette bracket, pulley, and tensioner since mine was crusty. Those early C5 parts are spendy! AC should be able to be installed and working in the coming weeks.

I have a T96 steering wheel on order that was supposed to be here weeks ago. Still hoping it arrives this month. Hah!

Car just needs seats, wheels/tires, and paint and body work. Everything else is basically done or only needs minor tweaking. I’ve taken this car a long way and wish I had the motivation to finish it out properly but I’ve moved on. Someone take it off my hands!

Old 12-12-2023, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gtxracer
Been busy tinkering on the LS 996 and am now burnt out. I will post some updates below. Car is softly for sale, looking to part ways with my projects and focus on some other areas in life at the moment.

Asking $30k OBO for the car as-is. I’ve sunk at least 30k into it in the last few years. It’s fast as hell but I’d like to get back into regular surfing, mountain biking, and some other sports. I’m also shifting back into off-roading with Raptor which lost its engine a week ago. So I need make some adjustments and this 996 project needs to go.

I pulled the exhaust and ceramic coated the headers. I also added smaller resonator style bullet mufflers after the existing mufflers. It’s quieter now and a lot less heat in the engine bay.

I also added a LN Engineering water to oil cooler with a stainless mount behind the rear bumper and tire. It tucks neatly into the area where the OEM mufflers used to live. I used all AN fittings and lines again and it’s a super clean install. I’m very pleased with the outcome!

I designed new offset washers for the subwoofer box mount and has them 3D printed. They came out perfect! The mounts themselves were a couple degrees off, so those are being recut right now. This will close out the subwoofer box mount.

While the exhaust was out I tidied up quite a few areas. I replaced the 20AN line on the passengers side with a longer hose so the line is tucked away now, leaving more room for the air filter. I drilled holes for the air filter to pull fresh air out the deck lid. I mounted the MAT sensor in the air filter base for a nice clean install. I also found some tiny hood latch buttons from Quik Latch and installed those. Now the deck lid is flush with the tail lights and rear quarters, it came out very clean.

I replaced the cheap Canton dipstick with a new freshly black anodized Lokar dipstick and it’s muuuuuch cleaner. While I was in there I also installed two Spal puller fans to push fresh air through the bottom of the engine bay. I need to finish wiring these. I install a new coolant level sensor and cleaned up a few of the hose clamps with Gates heat shrink style clamps for a cleaner look. All in all it’s very clean looking now!

AC hoses have been custom made by Cold Hose in Florida. They were easy to work with and welded a fitting and crimped hoses to my existing Porsche lines. I also bought a low mile C5 Corvette bracket, pulley, and tensioner since mine was crusty. Those early C5 parts are spendy! AC should be able to be installed and working in the coming weeks.

I have a T96 steering wheel on order that was supposed to be here weeks ago. Still hoping it arrives this month. Hah!

Car just needs seats, wheels/tires, and paint and body work. Everything else is basically done or only needs minor tweaking. I’ve taken this car a long way and wish I had the motivation to finish it out properly but I’ve moved on. Someone take it off my hands!

is this car still for sale?
Old 12-13-2023, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Marten911
is this car still for sale?
It’s still here. I’ve put a lot more time and money into it lately. AC is done. Currently painting and wrapping it in rainforest metallic green, the original color, and putting on a set of new Fikse FM10s with Nitto NT01s.

if you’re serious, send me a PM.

Quick Reply: Build: '99 Porsche C2 996 LS1 Swap