Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota Dash - temp sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 06:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Dakota Dash - temp sensor?

I have a Gen 3 4.8 truck with blue green ecm.

Looking to tap into the current ECT sensor to feed my dakota dash. I cut down my own harness using the info found on lt1swap, Here is the pin out link
http://lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm

Looks like pin 74 on the blue connector is what I want right?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts

No, that's probably not the best method for a DD temperature gauge and I think the DD instruction manual at least for my HDX gauge set cautions against that.

Let the temperature sensor in the forward end of the drivers side head strictly and only support temperature input to the PCM. To split this signal into the DD temperature gauge will likely have odd electronic implications for the signal and screw with the PCM. And be inaccurate for your DD gauge. Probably changes the impedance.

Remove the corresponding plug out of the passenger side rear head and install the DD temperature sender there and use it for the DD gauge. That plug, IIRC, is an M10 x 1.5 threaded Allen socket and I think I needed an adapter to fit the DD sender to the head.

Rick
Old 12-09-2019, 08:55 AM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the reply, I guess I’ll use the sender DD sent and wire it up.

out of curiosity though isn’t there a output ECT signal which ran the original dash gauge? I guess while I’m at it wouldn’t there be a similar output signal for the oil pressure gauge?

sorry for the newb q’s!
Old 12-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by epfatboy
Thanks for the reply, I guess I’ll use the sender DD sent and wire it up.

out of curiosity though isn’t there a output ECT signal which ran the original dash gauge? I guess while I’m at it wouldn’t there be a similar output signal for the oil pressure gauge?

sorry for the newb q’s!
You could make it easy by getting the DD BIM module. This will interface the dash to your OBD2 port and give you all sorts of options.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts

You spent a lot of money for that Dakota Digital dash and I'd definitely use it. I love mine and run it with the DD temp and oil senders screwed into the block at the original GM locations. Yea, Ive got a Konnwei OBD II Bluetooth module and an OBDLink MX+ Bluetooth module and I'm also fascinated by those readings out of the PCM. But they stay on my Android phone and are not very useful for driving down the road. The MX+ is also EXTREMELY HANDY with writing things to the PCM using LS Droid.

The only Dakota Digital extra module that I bought was the box to pipe the "PRNOD21" signal from my 4L60E to one of the small video screens in the DD gauge cluster. That original GM PRNDL module is simply ballast bolted to the side of your tranny. You get no gear shifter readings without this DD module.

Rick

Last edited by B52bombardier1; 12-09-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 PM
9 Second Club

For now I'll use the DD senders in the alternate block locations and retain the stock senders. Thanks for the inputs. I also plan to check into the BIM module, if I remember right I thought they were priced by pid?
Old 12-09-2019, 07:20 PM
9 Second Club

NVM, I see the BIM device, it's on the christmas list.
https://www.dakotadigital.com/index....rod/prd752.htm

Old 12-10-2019, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by B52bombardier1
The only Dakota Digital extra module that I bought was the box to pipe the "PRNOD21" signal from my 4L60E to one of the small video screens in the DD gauge cluster. That original GM PRNDL module is simply ballast bolted to the side of your tranny. You get no gear shifter readings without this DD module.

Rick
Just in case anyone is reading this.. I have the DD BIM module and it read my shift positions perfect on my 4l80e with no extra parts needed on the trans other than the factory unit on side of trans. So really the only DD sensor I used was oil pressure.

Quick Reply: Dakota Dash - temp sensor?