Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Fan for stock LQ4

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020 | 08:10 PM
Teching In

Default Radiator Fan for stock LQ4

! have a 53 Chevy 210 I put an LQ4 in. I have only 3 inches between the radiator and water pump. I was looking at this Spal but was wondering if it's going to move enough air. I was looking to see if anyone had any experience with these. The shroud I am going to get is 3/4" thick

16" Spal 2" thick

I might be able to fit this one if I move the radiator forward a bit.

16" Spal 2.4" thick

Old 05-27-2020 | 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I use the SPAL twin 11” shrouded fans on a stock LS3. One benefit of the twins is you don’t have a fan motor right in the center where the water pump pulley is.

Click on the fan you’re interested in and there’s tech info including flow. https://www.spalusa.com/products/fans/16/
Old 05-27-2020 | 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
I use the SPAL twin 11” shrouded fans on a stock LS3. One benefit of the twins is you don’t have a fan motor right in the center where the water pump pulley is.

Click on the fan you’re interested in and there’s tech info including flow. https://www.spalusa.com/products/fans/16/
That was going to be my next question. Two 11s might work too. My radiator is 23" tall and 25" wide. I'd just have to make my own shroud.
Old 05-27-2020 | 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

That unit is 24x16 - should go on your rad with no problems if the depth will work. I don't think the bit of non-shrouded radiator will pose a problem.

Attachment 712742

If you look closely between the air intake tube and the upper radiator hose you'll see the tip of the water pump pulley. I went with Corvette pulley spacing to give myself even more clearance to the rad/fans. That swap would give you over an inch more clearance - but, not inexpensive to pull everything off and start over. Previous engine for me was a 5.0L Ford and I literally had about a credit card thickness of clearance between the back of the fan motors (same fan unit - now 17 years old!) and the a/c compressor pulley. Got tired of that and gave myself every bit of clearance I could find when I swapped in the LS3 about 4 years ago.

Attachment 712800

Attachment 713890

Last edited by Michael Yount; 05-28-2020 at 06:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
postalcop (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020 | 04:33 PM
Teching In

That unit is 24x16 - should go on your rad with no problems if the depth will work. I don't think the bit of non-shrouded radiator will pose a problem.

If you look closely between the air intake tube and the upper radiator hose you'll see the tip of the water pump pulley. I went with Corvette pulley spacing to give myself even more clearance to the rad/fans. That swap would give you over an inch more clearance - but, not inexpensive to pull everything off and start over. Previous engine for me was a 5.0L Ford and I literally had about a credit card thickness of clearance between the back of the fan motors (same fan unit - now 17 years old!) and the a/c compressor pulley. Got tired of that and gave myself every bit of clearance I could find when I swapped in the LS3 about 4 years ago.
That looks like it might work. What fan setup is that? I thought about the corvette spacing early on but I was planning on reinstalling the fan on the front of the radiator. I wasn't originally going to add air conditioning.
Old 05-28-2020 | 05:30 PM
TECH Junkie

“What fan setup is that?”

(chuckle) - from post #2 above -“ I use the SPAL twin 11” shrouded fans on a stock LS3.”
I think they rate it at about 2700 cfm.
Old 05-28-2020 | 05:47 PM
Teching In

“What fan setup is that?”

(chuckle) - from post #2 above -“ I use the SPAL twin 11” shrouded fans on a stock LS3.”
I think they rate it at about 2700 cfm.
Doh! Brain not working today. Lol
Old 05-28-2020 | 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

FWIW - this fan set up has performed flawlessly with a Delta Current Control variable speed controller for almost 20 years. Car runs right at 197F when t’stat is controlling and right at 203F when fans are controlling. With A/C on or not. Works as well as the OEM set ups in our newer daily drivers.

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan for stock LQ4