Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Project... Need a bit of help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Deployment…… thank you for your service.​​​​.

That CX racing TT kit looks promising. Will you attempt to fit that kit this summer?
The following users liked this post:
Donny Wonder (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Deployment…… thank you for your service.​​​​.

That CX racing TT kit looks promising. Will you attempt to fit that kit this summer?
That you for your support. I think I'm going to go with some log manifolds off of eBay. Then fab up the rest of the piping. A person that has experience with the kit said to stay far away from it due to the crummy quality. His is already rusting away along with a few other issues. For the price of the kit I can grab a dual voltage Tig and work on my fab skills.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea. If you were warned , It’ll be best to stay away then. Alpha seemed to be a popular budget tig
Old 06-21-2022, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

Default Core support is fixed

Thankfully I was able to save a good deal of money fixing this core support. It is a one year production part for this car. Which is a huge headache to say the least.

Bent up bad

Fixed

Painted and fixed
Old 06-28-2022, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Default Stuck bolt

I almost forgot about this bolt. It is stuck and won't thread in any further. I didn't want to force it and risk cracking the block or something crazy. Anyone have a recommendation to fix it or what to chase the threads with? It is located on the passenger side.
Old 06-29-2022, 04:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Take the mount off and use a bottoming tap. Hopefully it will come out . You should always use anti seize when installing a bolt INTO a aluminum block. I ran into this too just during mock-up
Old 06-29-2022, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

You've got a nice project going. Since you are using the Hooker Blackheart engine mounts and mounting bracket, I thought it would be helpful to point out that you may end up with interference between your inner tie-rod ends and the oil pan you are using. Most of the knock-off design oil pans that are advertised to be an equivalent of the Holley pans have inherent design differences that prevent them from providing the same actual fitment. The A-body application you are working on is about as constrained with space as they get and the squared-off pop-outs along the front side edges of your oil pan are occupying the exact same space the tie-rod ends need to clearance on full-lock turns. Here's a few images of the Holley 302-2 pan on a Chevelle that you can compare to what you have...notice the front side edges of the Holley pan have a continuous straight edge all the way to the front of the pan. I hope you find this information useful.

Old 06-29-2022, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Take the mount off and use a bottoming tap. Hopefully it will come out . You should always use anti seize when installing a bolt INTO a aluminum block. I ran into this too just during mock-up
Any particular tap you recommend? The bolt will come out with ease but it won't push past a certain point.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Toddoky
You've got a nice project going. Since you are using the Hooker Blackheart engine mounts and mounting bracket, I thought it would be helpful to point out that you may end up with interference between your inner tie-rod ends and the oil pan you are using. Most of the knock-off design oil pans that are advertised to be an equivalent of the Holley pans have inherent design differences that prevent them from providing the same actual fitment. The A-body application you are working on is about as constrained with space as they get and the squared-off pop-outs along the front side edges of your oil pan are occupying the exact same space the tie-rod ends need to clearance on full-lock turns. Here's a few images of the Holley 302-2 pan on a Chevelle that you can compare to what you have...notice the front side edges of the Holley pan have a continuous straight edge all the way to the front of the pan. I hope you find this information useful.

I never noticed that. I will be installing the steering linkage very soon. Thank you for pointing it out. I'm in the process of pulling the engine now actually.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Well the oil drains don't fit with the Holley style pan. I ended up ordering the ICT turbo drain timing cover.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Ended up buying a new billet torque converter and dropping the engine and transmission in.

Old 09-21-2022, 06:12 PM
On The Tree

Default Motivation

I know the turbos are not clocked or anything. But I had to finally hang them for motivation. I will make new brake lines this weekend and start hanging the body panels.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

Default Intake manifold

I'm in the midst of purchasing my ECM, fuel injectors, and intake manifold. I currently have a TBSS intake manifold with no fuel rails or fittings. Will it make sense to buy the fittings and will it fit under my hood? Or should I look aftermarket?
Old 12-21-2022, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Which ECM?

I have the terminator X max, like it a lot, the Holley forum has several super helpful folks on it.
I would mock up the manifold before you decide, and you might want that hood mounted to check clearance but it doesn't look like your too short of room..
With the twins, you might even forget the stock plastic manifolds and go with the more traditional top mount throttle body and aluminum manifold ,
looks like your going fairly aggressive power.
Old 12-21-2022, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Which ECM?

I have the terminator X max, like it a lot, the Holley forum has several super helpful folks on it.
I would mock up the manifold before you decide, and you might want that hood mounted to check clearance but it doesn't look like your too short of room..
With the twins, you might even forget the stock plastic manifolds and go with the more traditional top mount throttle body and aluminum manifold ,
looks like your going fairly aggressive power.
I highly appreciate the feedback. I'm going with the Terminator X Max as well. I shall be installing the body panels this week to get a better idea of what clearance I'm working with. I honestly only want around 600-700 rwhp with the ability to turn up the power on track days.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Things are starting to go much better and I'm getting some motivation back. I finished the brake lines (other than the rear end), suspension, and front clip. After much internal debate I'm deciding to run the TBSS intake manifold. I just can't mentally justify buying a more aesthetic one that can't compare in power.

I'm going to start with the plumbing on this and try my hand at tig welding. It's no fabricators near me that I know of. Any advice on which tig welder I should purchase for a beginner? Keep in mind I'm just a DIYer.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Default Terminator X Max and DBW pedal

It's finally here and I'm excited. Can't wait to plumb and wire the car up. I'm looking forward to seeing it move under its own power after a decade. QUESTION: What DBW GMPP pedal or any pedal can I use to bolt it?
Project GatTagO (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny Wonder

It's finally here and I'm excited. Can't wait to plumb and wire the car up. I'm looking forward to seeing it move under its own power after a decade. QUESTION: What DBW GMPP pedal or any pedal can I use to bolt it?
The 2009 Impala SS pedal practically bolts on to the firewall and works perfectly with the Holley EFI. If you need help with the tuning, please keep me in mind.

Andrew
Donny Wonder (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The 2009 Impala SS pedal practically bolts on to the firewall and works perfectly with the Holley EFI. If you need help with the tuning, please keep me in mind.

Andrew
Thank you. I'm most certainly going to need help when it comes to tuning this Frankenstein machine. I shall keep you in mind.
Project GatTagO (03-03-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Donny Wonder
I'm going to start with the plumbing on this and try my hand at tig welding. It's no fabricators near me that I know of. Any advice on which tig welder I should purchase for a beginner? Keep in mind I'm just a DIYer.
The AlphaTig and Primeweld both have good reviews, I've been eyeing the Primeweld personally. I also found that a local tech college offered self-paced time in the welding department where you could get instructions or assistance from the instructors and use their equipment/materials. I felt that it was a huge step from just trying to learn on your own at home.
Donny Wonder (03-04-2023)

Quick Reply: 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Project... Need a bit of help.