Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent Axle? (Video Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Bent Axle? (Video Inside)

Ive been chasing a shaking type of vibration for a good year now. I finally had the time to do this little experiment where I flip the drums to seem how true the axle is and as you can see, it doesnt look good.

The shaking really starts to come on at around 65mph give or take and tends to smooth out the faster I go, but doesnt totally go away. Ive adjusted the pinion angle a million different ways with no relief. I bought new wheels and tires and had them balanced twice with no change. Also bought new balanced quality drums as well. No change.

Take a look and let me know what you think. Both sides have the wobble.

1970 Chevelle 12 bolt eaton posi 4.11s

Old 02-06-2021, 01:44 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd say it's definitely a problem. It appears to possibly be a bend of the axle; if so, it could be worse at the outer edges of the tire circumference.

Hand-rotating an axle, is there runout at the face of the axle, or the edge of the axle flange?

Wheel bearings are another question, but it appears to be a consistent lateral wobble, not a random axle flopping around type.

What was the history of the axle's usability before 1-yr ago? Was it a project with no known history? Or was it used in a way that could have indicated this before?
Old 02-06-2021, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Dial indicator on the axle wheel flange face and slowly turn the axle. That'll tell you 100% if there is a problem or not. It would appear there is, lol. But to be sure, do that. Seen bent axles a few times in the last 30 years. Good luck!
Old 02-06-2021, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Do the dial indicator like they suggested above. The only other thing I can think of is if it showed up right after getting new brake drums installed and got a crappy batch of Chinese drums or something that were that far off.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Dial indicator on the axle wheel flange face and slowly turn the axle. That'll tell you 100% if there is a problem or not. It would appear there is, lol. But to be sure, do that. Seen bent axles a few times in the last 30 years. Good luck!

Setup the dial indicator and here is what I found. Looks like runout is around .001 if im reading this correctly.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Old 02-10-2021, 01:03 AM
TECH Regular

I slowed the video down, I thought the needle was bouncing more. .001 is straight according to GM. Anything up to .003.

Warped drums?

Last edited by LetsTurboSomething; 02-10-2021 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:16 AM
Launching!

I read it wrong. Looks like it's .01 not .001
Old 02-10-2021, 02:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Smitty454
Then that's toast lol.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hard to see but judging by the swing of the needle it does look like .010" or really close to it.
More accurate (and safer) method to test with the indicator is turn the axle slowly by hand so you can see the minimum and maximum swing. The surface finish on an axle hub is pretty coarse and can really mess with an indicator at the speed you showed.

If the reading is similar using the method I described I would stop driving the car and start looking for aftermarket axles.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Hard to see but judging by the swing of the needle it does look like .010" or really close to it.
More accurate (and safer) method to test with the indicator is turn the axle slowly by hand so you can see the minimum and maximum swing. The surface finish on an axle hub is pretty coarse and can really mess with an indicator at the speed you showed.

If the reading is similar using the method I described I would stop driving the car and start looking for aftermarket axles.
I tried that at first and the axles was too hard to turn by hand. I tried turning it with a lug wrench and I couldn't get a full turn in because it would run into the dial indicator so I said eff it and put it in drive.

Is there an easier method to turn it by hand?
Old 02-10-2021, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Remove driveshaft
Old 02-10-2021, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mikes64
Remove driveshaft
Just place the transmission in neutral, no need to remove the driveshaft.

Is there an easier method to turn it by hand?
​​​​​​​
Leave a wheel on the opposite side and have a friend turn the wheel.
Old 02-10-2021, 09:31 PM
Launching!

Ok I pulled the driveshaft and redid everything.

The driver side still has a significant sweep up to ~.009 in one spot while the passenger side is definitely less pronounced with a sweep of at most .003.

Is there something could that drivers side be bent enough to be causing my problem?

I bought the 12 bolt from an old Chevelle guy who had it laying in his backyard.

I took the 12 bolt to a shop I thought was reputable to have it rebuilt with a new eaton posi unit. The shop I later found out wasn't reputable. They had a name very similar to to the shop I meant to take it to.

I can't recall if they replaced the axles since it was 12 years ago. I do remember that it had saver bearings in it.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:38 AM
TECH Regular

So if the face of the hub you dialed off of is clean and not rusted to hell and you're getting a true measurement of the face, then the factory acceptable measurement is .001" to .003". Anything more than .003 is considered a bad axle.

That .009 is your problem. How it went bad I don't know. Who ever pulls it apart will be the one to figure that out.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:21 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LetsTurboSomething
So if the face of the hub you dialed off of is clean and not rusted to hell and you're getting a true measurement of the face, then the factory acceptable measurement is .001" to .003". Anything more than .003 is considered a bad axle.

That .009 is your problem. How it went bad I don't know. Who ever pulls it apart will be the one to figure that out.
Yeah its pretty clean. There are a couple little pock marks that made the dial skip but the did a few revolutions back and forth and there is definitely more runout than .003. The difference between driver and passenger side was pretty normal. I may just take it to a shop and have everything checked and see if they come to the same determination that I do.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah its pretty clean. There are a couple little pock marks that made the dial skip but the did a few revolutions back and forth and there is definitely more runout than .003. The difference between driver and passenger side was pretty normal. I may just take it to a shop and have everything checked and see if they come to the same determination that I do.
I build a lot of stuff myself, even my own transmission rebuilds sometimes. But I still take like taking my axles to a gear and drive line shop because it's like the one part on the car where if it lets go at full boogie the wreck can be catastrophic. Give me a scattered engine at 100mph over an ejected axle anyday of the week, ya know?
Old 02-11-2021, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LetsTurboSomething
I build a lot of stuff myself, even my own transmission rebuilds sometimes. But I still take like taking my axles to a gear and drive line shop because it's like the one part on the car where if it lets go at full boogie the wreck can be catastrophic. Give me a scattered engine at 100mph over an ejected axle anyday of the week, ya know?
Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

When they "rebuilt" it they didn't even bother checking the pinion. The little tabs that keep the ujoint centered were broken off. I fixed that a few years ago but that goes to show how much attention was paid to the rebuild
Old 02-12-2021, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Someone probably unloaded it from a truck solo and it landed on the now bent side.

No need to take it to a shop, only takes one bent axle to make you car feel odd, been there. Your bent axle is a failure waiting to happen. Difference is you caught it before something happened and I found mine while driving and I have a souvenir from that situation. Short version: in my early 20's I bought a car that later developed a vibration I couldn't trace for months no matter what I tried or who I asked. While evading a drunk driver the flange broke off the axle, got lucky with no real damage to anything as I was going slow. Inspection after getting home is the axle was cracked more than 50% through from before I bought the car and got worse the more I drove. I saved the flange as a reminder on how thorough I need to check things - even the illogical 'it can't be that' items.

I would throw down on some quality aftermarket axles (Moser, Strange, etc.) with Timken bearings and not look back. If you're concerned about the build quality of differential, check it out while you've got the back off and the oil out.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Someone probably unloaded it from a truck solo and it landed on the now bent side.

No need to take it to a shop, only takes one bent axle to make you car feel odd, been there. Your bent axle is a failure waiting to happen. Difference is you caught it before something happened and I found mine while driving and I have a souvenir from that situation. Short version: in my early 20's I bought a car that later developed a vibration I couldn't trace for months no matter what I tried or who I asked. While evading a drunk driver the flange broke off the axle, got lucky with no real damage to anything as I was going slow. Inspection after getting home is the axle was cracked more than 50% through from before I bought the car and got worse the more I drove. I saved the flange as a reminder on how thorough I need to check things - even the illogical 'it can't be that' items.

I would throw down on some quality aftermarket axles (Moser, Strange, etc.) with Timken bearings and not look back. If you're concerned about the build quality of differential, check it out while you've got the back off and the oil out.
Ok will do. Im torn between taking it to a shop and doing it myself. I dont have much experience with rear ends and Im not sure what to look for. I suppose I have some research to do.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 338 Likes on 229 Posts

This. Take it apart and check the splines also. I'm willing to bet they will have significant wear. New axles will be a win, win.

Quick Reply: Bent Axle? (Video Inside)