Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Cuda LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Heres some more pictures now that its day light. The pic of the back of the transmission is showing how you cant go any higher with the transmission given pinion angle (which i've never dealt with) and because the driveshaft itself after the yoke (depending on diameter) would hit the floor. Of course you could just cut the whole trans tunnel from the firewall back to the rear floor but i don't need to. This is all set exactly where it should bolt up. I got in touch with a kid in my Facebook group Pro Touring Buildz whom has an LS turbo swapped 69 Charger and he confirmed that my engine tilt and crank pulley space from the K member is exactly like his and he drives his car all the time. So, technically i could figure out lowering the front of the engine a tad bit more, probably with a set of solid mopar engine mounts as that would take out the rubber from the mount which is an inch or so thick but im perfectly fine with how it all sits right now. Next is trans mount, then pull everything back out, clean it up, paint it, and do at bare minimum an oil pump on the 4.8. Only because anyone thats been in the LS world long enough knows, you always go ahead and just put a new oil pump in the motor while its out lol. You should also do lifters but i really don't want to take the heads off unless i absolutely have to.

Also, if anyone would like to donate to the "**** of every Mopar purist Organization" I am in the market for a ready to go harness and computer for a early 2000s DBC truck 4.8/5.3. Might also need another truck intake with injectors and fuel rail ready to bolt on, i don't need the throttle body. Will need a set of aftermarket shorty headers. I don't care about new shiny parts or anything remotely close to that, this is a ratty car and it will stay that way for the most part.

screen capture program

Last edited by 78TranzAm; 07-03-2021 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:31 PM
Launching!

So update. Kinda skipping from where i left off to where its at now as i didn't really take any pics along the way although there really wasnt any other pics to take aside from the 2 spots i had to dent the headers to make them fit so, heres how the engine has come along. Bolted in, and about 90% complete. I will be hooking up the external pump/fuel system this weekend. If i can figure out where the wiring harness goes (no instructions came with the $216 harness lol) then i might be able to get it running this weekend and find out if the engine is junk or not since i never heard it run. Fingers crossed

Old 09-18-2021, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks right at home!
The following users liked this post:
78TranzAm (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Cool build LS powered like a Mopar should be.
if your engine ends up not working. I just pulled a good running modified 5.3/4L60e out of my car. (Swapped a LS stroker and TKX) I’m also in Texas.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jasons69chevelle
Cool build LS powered like a Mopar should be.
if your engine ends up not working. I just pulled a good running modified 5.3/4L60e out of my car. (Swapped a LS stroker and TKX) I’m also in Texas.
Thanks! ill keep you in mind. Only issue is im a cheapo so... lol. Where about in Tx are you?
Old 09-23-2021, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Well this is where it sits as i figure out the no spark issue and no fuel injector firing issue im having. Got excited to fire it up today but of course it cant be that simple.

My coil pack harness and fuel injectors are getting 12v but no ground? I posted in the Gen 3 category here in hopes someone can help me figure this out.

Also, at first i had all of my switches ran to the 40+yr old relay stud so, i thought that for the first time ever in owning a **** box id make it a little safer and added the fuse panel in place of that relay lol.

Old 09-24-2021, 05:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Damn man, that looks good in there, keep at it you'll have her running in no time!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Check the grounds on the back of the cylinder heads. Make sure you have adequate grounds throughout the car and that should clear up your issues.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 78TranzAm
So update. Kinda skipping from where i left off to where its at now as i didn't really take any pics along the way although there really wasnt any other pics to take aside from the 2 spots i had to dent the headers to make them fit so, heres how the engine has come along. Bolted in, and about 90% complete. I will be hooking up the external pump/fuel system this weekend. If i can figure out where the wiring harness goes (no instructions came with the $216 harness lol) then i might be able to get it running this weekend and find out if the engine is junk or not since i never heard it run. Fingers crossed

where can you get a harness for $216? Does it run the trans also?
Old 09-24-2021, 01:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Check the grounds on the back of the cylinder heads. Make sure you have adequate grounds throughout the car and that should clear up your issues.
Thats what everyone has been saying but i've added a ground straight from the neg post on the battery to the back of the head and any ground wire on the harness or fuse panel that came with the harness is grounded also. I do have a lone wolf gray wire in the harness that was hidden in the loom next to the power wire going to the alternator plug so just for the hell of it ill ground that too.

What doesn't make sense is the very first time i plugged the harness into the computer i wasn't getting spark but i was getting power AND ground to the coil pack harness then after that one time i haven't gotten it again?

Just my luck.... This is why i always prefer carb swaps lol
Old 09-24-2021, 01:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
where can you get a harness for $216? Does it run the trans also?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254855549397
Old 09-24-2021, 08:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

damn, that’s a deal. Is it a 3 wire hookup? Thanks
Old 09-24-2021, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
damn, that’s a deal. Is it a 3 wire hookup? Thanks
Yes, only issue im having is there was no directions on which plug goes where. I believe i have plugs in the wrong spots and thats whats causing my coil packs not to fire.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:23 PM
Launching!

So after the past 3 days, 6+ hours a day, and a brand new harness, i've finally got the Cuda running. The problem was the BRAND NEW CRANK SENSOR.... Im not surprised as thats just how my luck goes with vehicles lol. But it was pure boredom and curiosity that led me back to the crank sensor. After i put the new one in i automatically assumed the issue was either harness or computer. I had nothing else to check and was ready to order a new computer when i said "might as well just see if the crank sensor plug is getting power". And while i was touching it with the multi meter, there was one terminal that would make a noise on the engine when i touched it and it kind of sounded like sparking so i just stuck the old crank sensor back in and surprise surprise. After about 5 seconds of cranking it fired up! Cant explain the relief i felt, i had lost all hope lol. But now, i can undo all the jerry rigging i've done the past couple days with ground wires and just plugging stuff in. Next pics will be of everything mounted and as pretty as i care to get it in the engine bay.
The following 3 users liked this post by 78TranzAm:
B52bombardier1 (10-02-2021), G Atsma (09-27-2021), Pingar (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Good stuff man!! Congrats. My next suggestion was going to be checking each sensor was functioning properly with a life data reader.
78TranzAm (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 09:46 PM
Launching!

So the engine bay is basically complete now. Computer and fuse block mounted. Wires hidden the best i could get them. Wish i had taken a before picture so yall could really see how much of a mess it was while i was trying to figure out the no spark issue. But all in all even with the truck intake it looks perfect in there. Should have come this way from the factory... lol. And after unplugging things to re arrange the harness and other wires it still starts up so thankfully i didn't mess anything else up!

The following 2 users liked this post by 78TranzAm:
2ToeRacing (03-03-2022), G Atsma (09-28-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Its nothing new to me. I've been teasing this swap since my Challenger last year and im done messing with the Mopar purist for entertainment lol. But one thing i've learned since being in the Mopar world is it doesn't matter what you do to your car, the internet purist are going to whine no matter what. Mopar is all about factory correct cars down to the nut and bolt. I've seen guys complain that a guy didn't leave his factory 6 cylinder car a 6 cylinder??? And i've seen guys go ape sh** over a guy putting a hellcat in a factory original AAR Cuda. And 9/10 the guys that complain haven't owned a Mopar since the 80s. Its the internet and i could care less what a stranger thinks about what i do with my money.
hell yah brother i hate when somebody tries to tell you what ur doing with ur own money, im getting so much hate because im putting a 454 in my 92 camaro rs
The following 2 users liked this post by RoyalJZ:
2ToeRacing (03-03-2022), 78TranzAm (09-29-2021)
Old 09-29-2021, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cool project
78TranzAm (09-29-2021)
Old 09-30-2021, 02:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know if this helps you but my dad and I have the US Car Tool expanded E body tunnel in our project and it clears the 4l80e

G Atsma (09-30-2021)
Old 10-02-2021, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by callys
I dont know if this helps you but my dad and I have the US Car Tool expanded E body tunnel in our project and it clears the 4l80e

The picture didn't load but i know which one youre talking about, those are expensive! lol. I've come across a couple people that have ls swapped a mopar and they didn't have to cut the tunnel for their 4l60 but i think my engine sits higher then theres because of how i did the motor mounts so ill probably try to find a cheaper trans tunnel kit thats for a chevy and make it work like every other part so far or just get some metal and try to bend it. Haven't decided if im going to make it removable or not. I probably won't ever go any bigger than a 4l60.

Quick Reply: 73 Cuda LS Swap