Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Cuda LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't drive it with the shaft that's in it now, too risky.
Old 12-31-2021, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts

Very minor update. Moneys been extremely tight so i had to do something that didnt cost much. So, i ordered ICT Billet trans line fittings to run the rubber line off of AN but not AN style fittings (dont know the name of them) lol. Cost was around $40 for trans fittings and AN fittings. Im doing this as i just had the rubber line on the cut stock line. Didn't leak but i did that just to get the car running. I knew i couldn't keep it that way especially when it comes time to cover the transmission up. Which, is on the list. Ran out of day light, but snapped a pic. I have to cut a little more of the floor so i can route the top line better. Obviously i wouldn't keep it this way. Or would i... lol. Ill post an update once i do that.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,128 Likes on 2,441 Posts

Gotta do what works....
The following users liked this post:
78TranzAm (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Forgot. I also added some wire loom to clean up the wiring in the engine bay. The wiring on the fender well will get situated a little more but aside from that, thats it. Wish i would have put the relay somewhere else but oh well, maybe ill do that some time down the road. Just want to drive the car already but have plenty left to do and no money to do it lol.

cute brown babies
Old 01-01-2022, 04:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 78TranzAm
Its nothing new to me. I've been teasing this swap since my Challenger last year and im done messing with the Mopar purist for entertainment lol. But one thing i've learned since being in the Mopar world is it doesn't matter what you do to your car, the internet purist are going to whine no matter what. Mopar is all about factory correct cars down to the nut and bolt. I've seen guys complain that a guy didn't leave his factory 6 cylinder car a 6 cylinder??? And i've seen guys go ape sh** over a guy putting a hellcat in a factory original AAR Cuda. And 9/10 the guys that complain haven't owned a Mopar since the 80s. Its the internet and i could care less what a stranger thinks about what i do with my money.
Didnt the last reall AAR that came up in Vegas tap 1 Mill..I mean ,, love the hellcat ,, but not that much.. LOL
Old 01-01-2022, 04:58 AM
Launching!

Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Love that body style!

have fun trolling the mopar fanboys!
btw- just driving this car is trolling to some

I built a swapped bimmer and prior to the swap I got involved in the m3 boards….. the moment I mentioned swapping out the 240hp iron 6 …. The bimmers boys got nasty. These are the same folks who go Gaga over sourcing some rare euro seat cloth w the right pattern….

G Atsma (01-01-2022)
Old 01-01-2022, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
Didnt the last reall AAR that came up in Vegas tap 1 Mill..I mean ,, love the hellcat ,, but not that much.. LOL
No idea, i don't pay attention to auctions. I see prices on Marketplace and Facebook groups and thats plenty ideocracy for me lol. And yet im the dumb one because i did something hot rod and put an engine in a vehicle that was never meant for it? ok... lol
Old 01-01-2022, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by one4torque
Love that body style!

have fun trolling the mopar fanboys!
btw- just driving this car is trolling to some

I built a swapped bimmer and prior to the swap I got involved in the m3 boards….. the moment I mentioned swapping out the 240hp iron 6 …. The bimmers boys got nasty. These are the same folks who go Gaga over sourcing some rare euro seat cloth w the right pattern….
Surprisingly, i get just as much hate from Chevy purist as i do Mopar. Well slightly more mopar but the fact i've had non mopar purist whine about it is the best. I got kicked out of an LS swap group on Facebook because of it... LOL. But ya, most of us ACTUAL car guys aren't on the internet anymore like they used to be. Now its all guys that have only been in it a couple years so everyone is a purist about every brand now. People like us who like all cars, makes, models, engines (to an extent lol) are very over shadowed by the "car enthusiast" that whine about stuff someone does to their car and put exhaust and wheels on a car and hashtags bUilT nOt bOuGhT... lol
Old 01-01-2022, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Totally agree,, I wouldn't mod a really Unobtainium car,, but there are a lot of cars that it just wouldn't matter to me..
I've had some comments from jeep guys about my L33 swap,, my answer is ,,, there is not a single reason NOT to do what i did..
The 2.5 put like 90HP to the ground on a good day.. and got a whopping 12-15 mpg doing it..
My V8 drives better in every way, including mileage in the 22-24 range..

You almost can't find a roadster with a ford motor in it.. Although I do love the sound of a fathead in a Model A or 32 Coupe.
The following 2 users liked this post by pdxmotorhead:
78TranzAm (01-01-2022), one4torque (01-01-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Launching!

Well got the trans lines re routed. Now i need to figure out how im going to do the transmission tunnel as i've never done one before. Wont be able to do anything else to the car for a little while so these lines are really it as far as an "update".

image storage
Old 01-10-2022, 04:58 PM
Launching!

So i got the courage to take the Cuda on its first trip around the neighborhood. I actually drove it around 3 times. I didn't want to stop.. lol. I just want to daily drive it already so bad but she still needs a little more love before we get there, and money lol.

99% success. Only the rear view mirror fell off, nothing broke, and as long as I stay in the neighborhood all the gears in the 4l60 work .

But, I don't think the converter is locking up. I put it in 4th and it works but if I manually shift I can only feel it shift up to 2nd. But I may just not be getting up to speed for it to shift. Only issue i came across is the lower radiator hose leaking. Its half inch end but the radiator is 3/4 inch end. I thought i was slick and stuck a 3/4inch rubber piece on there and stuck the radiator hose in that and tightened it down and it never leaked until i drove it today. Basically the rubber just squishes together when tightened and it leaks. It obviously needs to tighten down to something hard so i need to find an adapter.

Id post the test drive video but its nearly 3min long and no one wants to see that lol.

But aside from that, it actually had good throttle response and ran great for not being tuned. But given its bone stock im not really surprised. Definitely want to take the cheap amazon mufflers off as i have no want for the crazy drone this go round.

68Formula (01-10-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Congrats on the semi successful test drive. ICT Billet has some really affordable hose adapters. I'd look into those. I picked one up before I found a one piece upper hose that would work for me. What did you end up doing for your driveshaft?
2ToeRacing (03-03-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 10:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Congrats on the semi successful test drive. ICT Billet has some really affordable hose adapters. I'd look into those. I picked one up before I found a one piece upper hose that would work for me. What did you end up doing for your driveshaft?
I actually ordered one of those adapters last night. And it's still the driveshaft with the longer yoke. I asked around some more on FB if anyone else has done it and found quite a few guys that have and was told they've yet to have an issue with it. One guy in particular runs an even longer slip yoke on his dirt track car that spins 7k frequently so we'll just see. Since another member on here gave me a website to order a driveshaft for only $350 I may get a new one made down the road. Not quite close enough to actually driving it yet to need one anyways lol
Old 01-11-2022, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 550 Likes on 344 Posts

Another thing you could do is figure out the true length you need and then see if any OEM's used that length. Like a Crown Vic or Mustang.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
Another thing you could do is figure out the true length you need and then see if any OEM's used that length. Like a Crown Vic or Mustang.
True. The driveshaft only needs to be about 2 inches longer to be "correct". But yesterday just driving around the neighborhood there was no drive line vibration but obviously the real test would be at least 50+ mph.
Old 01-11-2022, 12:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Great build, I always liked those cars but when I was growing up they were always more than Camaros, so I became a Camaro guy.
78TranzAm (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Great build, I always liked those cars but when I was growing up they were always more than Camaros, so I became a Camaro guy.
Well depending on what year Camaro. 67-73 Camaros have caught up in price lol
G Atsma (01-11-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 01:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yeah back in the 90s the Cudas were pricey always.

I dig your comments about the cost of restorations. Frankly the nicer the car gets the less I want to drive it around.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Yeah back in the 90s the Cudas were pricey always.

I dig your comments about the cost of restorations. Frankly the nicer the car gets the less I want to drive it around.
Exactly. I have absolutely nothing against people who want a rust free, dent free, and shiny paint job (which is everyone) but at that point you have so much money invested into the exterior that it makes you hesitant of being around other people in it. As most, don't care about other peoples property. This bad boy i can park it in the middle of the Walmart parking lot and if someone knicks it or hits it, most likely it'll hurt their car worse lol.

Ive just always only been able to afford the rusted ratty stuff. Like my first Chevelle which started the "muscle car" love for me. It was bad. 95% of the car was bondo and it was just rust under the bondo lol. But all i did was stick a 350 in it and drove it every day. Had MULTIPLE people stop me and ask if id sell it. Even had one guy flag me down on an access road just to ask lol. Maybe someday ill get to fixing rust and making it more pleasing to look at by other people but for the most part i really only care about the rust that lets the elements in to the car lol.

Nothings changed as far as liking them ratty, except if i had known about LS swaps then as much as i do now, that chevelle would of had one.

the nearest chevron gas station

DualQuadDave (04-04-2023)
Old 01-12-2022, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

My car triggers OCD pain with some of my friends, with the colors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pro Stock John:
78TranzAm (01-12-2022), Jimbo1367 (01-19-2022)

Quick Reply: 73 Cuda LS Swap