Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Blazer 5.7 T56 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Love the early 2wd Blazers. Looks great so far.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
Love the early 2wd Blazers. Looks great so far.
Is that a 67? I love a nice 66-67 Malibu! No progress this weekend. I Pressure washed my driveway, porch walkway and sidewalk Saturday, then on Sunday I applied concrete sealer and commenced the moving of my AC condenser and concrete pad over about 6" so the screen enclosure can be attached to my home. I did all this because I am getting a new pool installed and I had to sign a document stating that the tractor may leak oil on the sidewalk and driveway. I think the sealer will help to prevent permanent staining. It should also help when I am cleaning up the oil from my oil changes if I spill any.
I was thinking I would try to cut that thick clear plastic with a Dremel cut off wheel. Not real sure how accurate I can get a Roto Zip to cut it.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Dremel should work just fine, but you'll almost certainly get some melting of the plastic as you cut. The "slag" that will be left on the edge can usually be snapped right off, then you can clean up the edge with sanding (either by hand or with a sanding drum on the Dremel).
Old 12-14-2021, 01:08 AM
Staging Lane

So the holidays have come and the pool has finally begun to be built. Mom wants a new staircase handrail built and I am the lucky one to do that. I have managed to do a little to my truck though. I found a SD508 style SD7 Sanden AC compressor to fit the Holley AC bracket. It has an 8 rib pulley on it but it lines up nice. I don't see why it wont work, I bought a steel pulley for the power steering pump as the original is composite and just might explode. Not sure what the thinking was there, I think I may have found the right size belt as Holley has no real recommendation other than measuring instructions. I have read about the dreaded belt squeal and once I find the right size belt I am going to find the equivalent in a Continental or Gates Gatorback ( I think), I have a new bezel and lens for the electric speedo conversion. I also have a new RPM gauge I found in my accumulation of parts. I think it is 5000 RPM so I hope it does not blow up when I hit 6000 plus...
Old 12-16-2021, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jjzepplin
Is that a 67? I love a nice 66-67 Malibu! .
yessir. My extremely slow 10 year build I finally got on the road a year and a half ago.

The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-16-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

That is a fabulous ride!
Alwhite00 (12-28-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

So I had some family issues and had to shift some of my time to my other truck to get it running so the pool guy could get to the electrical box to install the run for the pool pump. I am almost ready with that truck. I did however do some tinkering with this one. I replaced the stock composite power steering pulley with a steel unit and Oh my gosh! How easy it is to remove the pump now that I can get to the bolts. The composite one has a tendency to explode. I also fiddled around with the Sanden and mocked it up so I can find the right size belt in GATORBACK of course! I also am trying to find the awesome T56 shifter I saw on PowerNation that makes it unnecessary to hack the floor of the Blazer!
Old 11-30-2022, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

OMG! So I finally got some time. Pool is finished and what a ride that was! Hurricane came and took the roof shingles. Guy that was supposed to build my fence took my dough and no fence so I had to build it myself. What a year. Fast forward and I finally got my mismatched flip kit removed and installed a new one. Now I can measure and buy a driveshaft. Christmas present to myself this year is a Tig welder.
Old 12-20-2022, 07:57 AM
Staging Lane

Alrighty, finally installed the proper flip kit. I had to get rid of the stock one ton sway bar from the rear but it is much cleaner now. I just need to heal up from my fall last night. Seems the last step on the stairs is NOT the kitchen floor. When you are tired from digging up a palm tree the day before and you mix up the kitchen floor with the last step, You end up on the kitchen floor, but not the way you imagined. Broken pinky toe and I think a sprained ankle. Happy Birthday to me! My first "old person" fall. SAD but I have one day to recover before I go back to work and limp my way through 4 days and have a Christmas vacation and some time to work on this truck. I think I may tackle mounting the computer and finishing the wiring harness. If I remember right I have to install the OBD port and get it routed into the cab. I think I am going to put the computer on the trans hump.
Alwhite00 (12-28-2022)
Old 02-07-2024, 05:08 AM
Staging Lane

Alrighty. I am getting back on this and I need you all to get on me for updates. I stripped all the axle U bolts trying to torque them to 140 lbs so I think my torque wrench is broken or does not work upside down. I also went to the junk yard and cut a section from a 2007 Denali fuel tank to get the fuel pump mounting ring that I hope to graft to my existing poly tank. I found a fella on Ebay that will make stainless rings with bolt holes to sandwich it to my tank. I also picked up the pump from the Denali. I think it should work ok and seems like there is enough room under there. PIcs to come. If the Denali pump does not work, I will try a 2010 Camaro pump. Should plop right in. Stay tuned. HAHA
The following 2 users liked this post by jjzepplin:
G Atsma (02-07-2024), KnightmareLS1 (02-10-2024)
Old 02-18-2024, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

Ok so I tore out the old Flowmaster exhaust and plan to install custom stainless with my new Tig. I also sent out plans for my clamping rings for the Denali fuel pump tank section. I purchased Stainless bolts and locknuts to clamp them together and plan to make my own gasket out of fuel resistant material.

Quick Reply: 72 Blazer 5.7 T56 swap