Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting started and questions about motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Getting started and questions about motor mounts

I have a 68 C10 that I'm going to be swapping a 5.3/4L60E. I have a Holley Terminator X Max kit and I'm looking at different options for motor mounts/plates, etc. I'm trying to find some info on the CPP Economy kits. Has anyone used these kits? CPP Kit If not these, I've looked at the Dirty Dingo slider plates, would also be open to suggestions. Thanks!!!!
Old 06-07-2022, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Holley has excellent swap kits. They are known for good fit and quality.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

How much power are you looking to make? Check out 4L80's as well, in a heavy truck with some power that's a sturdier option than that 60e.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by theunderlord
How much power are you looking to make? Check out 4L80's as well, in a heavy truck with some power that's a sturdier option than that 60e.
Initally I'm just going to be using a stock 5.3L. The "Ol' Yeller" Pickup is going to be driver. I might get a wild hair later and build a more substantial motor, but I doubt it'll ever be more than a cruiser. 4L60 should be fine, but I'll definitely consider the 80 down the line.
theunderlord (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 07:35 PM
Launching!

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxFubar
I have a 68 C10 that I'm going to be swapping a 5.3/4L60E. I have a Holley Terminator X Max kit and I'm looking at different options for motor mounts/plates, etc. I'm trying to find some info on the CPP Economy kits. Has anyone used these kits? CPP Kit If not these, I've looked at the Dirty Dingo slider plates, would also be open to suggestions. Thanks!!!!
Depends on what youre wanting to spend. Dont take it the wrong way but you already over paid with the terminator kit on a gen 3. You can use knock off dirty dingo slider plates on clamshell mounts. You should be able to use the stock crossmember for the 4l60, just move it back. Speedtech and ICT billet are your cheapest option for parts. No need to buy an over priced kit just to throw a gen 3 LS in a chevy unless you just want to.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 78TranzAm
Depends on what youre wanting to spend. Dont take it the wrong way but you already over paid with the terminator kit on a gen 3. You can use knock off dirty dingo slider plates on clamshell mounts. You should be able to use the stock crossmember for the 4l60, just move it back. Speedtech and ICT billet are your cheapest option for parts. No need to buy an over priced kit just to throw a gen 3 LS in a chevy unless you just want to.
None taken. I went with the Holley because I wanted something I knew was going to work and would let me dabble in tuning myself. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

Holley stuff is great, and really nice for the "want it to work right the first time" crowd. They have an entire swap setup for all the GM Trucks.
MaxFubar (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 03:16 PM
Launching!

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxFubar
None taken. I went with the Holley because I wanted something I knew was going to work and would let me dabble in tuning myself. Thanks for the suggestions.
I apologize. After re reading my first reply, I feel I was being rude... lol. Nothing wrong with the Terminator set up. I think I just get so bent out of shape when people spend $1200+ on a harness and computer for a gen 3, especially a tame gen 3 when amazon and ebay are so cheap lol. But to each their own and good for you wanting to dabble in tuning. Im not sure Ill ever want to lol
MaxFubar (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 78TranzAm
I apologize. After re reading my first reply, I feel I was being rude... lol. Nothing wrong with the Terminator set up. I think I just get so bent out of shape when people spend $1200+ on a harness and computer for a gen 3, especially a tame gen 3 when amazon and ebay are so cheap lol. But to each their own and good for you wanting to dabble in tuning. Im not sure Ill ever want to lol
Like I said, no harm/no foul. I know what I spent for it, but it checked the boxes I wanted and eventually I have delusions of grandeur about a turbo(maybe). Will go this route on the first one and then maybe I'll get brave and go a different route on the next one.
78TranzAm (06-08-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 09:29 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ended up using Doug's Headers adapter plates and then used energy suspension replacement mounts for my 72 Cutlass.
MaxFubar (06-15-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 349 Likes on 253 Posts

On my 68 C10 LS6/4L60E swap. I used generic LS swap engine plates non-adjustable. Hind sight I would do the slider type. I used a 2002 fbody oil pan to keep the bottom of the pan above the cross member. Speed Engineering headers and fit well. I made holes in the trailing arm cross member for 2.5" exhaust. Keep the engine down close to the cross member so the drive line angle is reduced. Also I had to trim the hole in the trailing arm cross member for more drive shaft clearance. I had a 4/6" drop.
MaxFubar (06-15-2022)

Quick Reply: Getting started and questions about motor mounts