Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Return style fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Return style fuel system

My vehicle is a 1992 volvo 240 which already has a discrete fuel line for returning fuel to the tank. For a mild LS1 rebuild, does a return style fuel system offer any advantages at near-stock power levels? The car can be set up easily for either fuel system, but I have had experience with returnless systems boiling fuel. Another thing I have thought about is the wiring; I would assume a return style system would be easier to set up since the fuel pump would run at a constant speed? Whereas a true returnless system would have a controller varying the speed of thte fuel pump to match the desired pressure? Any experience or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:10 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running 520hp with a LS3 and a return-less system and no issues. Just AN6 hose from the "Corvette" filter/regulator to Radium fuel rails; and from the filter/regulator AN6 to the tank for feed and return.

At some HP level I am sure a return style system is needed but until you get to that point the return-less is much better on the street as you are not continually circulating fuel to the engine bay introducing heat into the fuel.

Most high performance cars have gone to return-less style systems now for this reason.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by v8monstermiata
I'm running 520hp with a LS3 and a return-less system and no issues. Just AN6 hose from the "Corvette" filter/regulator to Radium fuel rails; and from the filter/regulator AN6 to the tank for feed and return.

At some HP level I am sure a return style system is needed but until you get to that point the return-less is much better on the street as you are not continually circulating fuel to the engine bay introducing heat into the fuel.

Most high performance cars have gone to return-less style systems now for this reason.
This will work well when used in conjunction with the limits of a 255l/hr pump. Also, when ordering the Corvette filter/regulator, make sure to get either an AC Delco or WIX brand. I have seen where other brands don't regulate properly.

Andrew
Old 07-29-2022, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Summit now sells a model of this filter/regulator with brazed on AN6 ends (in, out, return) which makes it a cleaner setup then using the adapter fittings. Any experience with the Summit brand ones?
Old 07-29-2022, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by v8monstermiata
Summit now sells a model of this filter/regulator with brazed on AN6 ends (in, out, return) which makes it a cleaner setup then using the adapter fittings. Any experience with the Summit brand ones?
I saw that and Holley offers one as well, probably from the same supplies. No experience with it, but it does eliminate the adapters, which saves money and eliminates three potential leak points.

Try it and let us know how it works!

Andrew
Old 07-31-2022, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the 58psi from these filter/regulators gonna be a problem with a Terminator X MAX system? the Holley documentation demands 60psi (in big bold letters).
I know its a popular option, just doting my I's and crossing my T's.
Just a stock LS1. Ricks tank with Walbro 255 pump.

Rubes
P.S. Hi Andrew
Old 07-31-2022, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rubes
is the 58psi from these filter/regulators gonna be a problem with a Terminator X MAX system? the Holley documentation demands 60psi (in big bold letters).

Rubes
P.S. Hi Andrew
Hey Rubes! Man it's been a long time. Text me and I'll help you out with the Holley EFI stuff. But to answer your question, no, it's not a problem. I tune various set ups that run different base fuel pressure. You just have to program it for whatever pressure you actually have.

Andrew
The following users liked this post:
v8monstermiata (07-31-2022)
Old 08-01-2022, 08:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubes

Rubes
P.S. Hi Andrew
No, not a problem. I run this setup in my GMC with a healthy 6.0. Walbro 255 in tank -> Delco C5 Corvette Filter/regulator, about 3 ft in front of the tank -> Single line to the front. Never any hiccups in 3 years/~2000 miles. I believe my forward fuel line is Dorman nylon pushlock kit. I do have it thermal sleeved where it goes past the transmission/headers.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 148 Likes on 114 Posts

i used the corvette filter/reg in my volvo swap (1998 v90). in my case the factory setup was a high pressure pump in the tank and then a filter about midway up the vehicle. all i did was take the filter out and mount the corvette filter/reg in its place. i dont really like the setup though, i've had nothing but trouble getting the regulator not to leak. other people havent had the same experience so your mileage may vary.

if i had to do it all over again, i'd pull the return style fuel rails off an early truck (i think 99 to 03 had the return style system). from what i understand it flows enough to support 700 whp on 85 which is quite a bit. probably more of a hassle to run the lines but i would like to get rid of that corvette regulator.

Quick Reply: Return style fuel system