Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Blackheart - no reducers - preferred way to connect?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hooker Blackheart - no reducers - preferred way to connect?

Hey all,

My friend ended up going with a Hooker Blackheart setup for his LS3 swap into his 1st Gen. I noticed these headers have no built-in reducer with flange. Is there a preferred way for connecting these to an exhaust system? Are people mostly welding a ball/flange setup on these, using some sort of coupler, or another option? It's a shame because these are already ceramic coated, but if I have to grind to weld on a flange or coupler that will be a little let-down.

His exhaust is a 3" system and I believe his headers end in a 3" tube as well.

Appreciate the advice!

Cheers!
Old 09-03-2022, 10:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I use a lap or butt joint depending on if the pipes butt together or slide inside each other.
Here is a link to a 3" at amazon
Amazon.com: SPEEDWOW 3.0 Inch Butt Joint Exhaust Clamp Band Coupler Sleeve Stainless Steel 2 PCS : Automotive Amazon.com: SPEEDWOW 3.0 Inch Butt Joint Exhaust Clamp Band Coupler Sleeve Stainless Steel 2 PCS : Automotive
Old 09-04-2022, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Great. I've used these before, but never at a header connection point. Didn't realize some companies were moving away from a gasketed or ball/socket joint at the header and relying on slip fittings now.

Usually, I like to weld a ball joint to a flex pipe to help take some vibration and movement out of the headers, especially on aluminum heads. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...saAo3eEALw_wcB

Guess I could still do that but with a slip clamp, and then weld some of the larger runs tonight with a disconnect point half-way.
Old 09-04-2022, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 349 Likes on 253 Posts

You can get those clamps at NAPA. But lately I've been using the narrow band clamps like they use on late model cars and trucks. NAPA has those also. I take my first piece of the exhaust pipe that attaches to the header down to the exhaust shop expand it just enough so it fits over the 3" collector. Then I put 4-5 3/4-1" long notches in the exhaust pipe so the band clamp can compress it down. I've never had a leak.
I do the same thing with the mufflers. The 3" exhaust pipe should fit inside the inlet end of the muffler. Notch the muffler inlet tube so the band clamp can compress the tubing. Then on the outlet side of the muffler expand the tail pipe so it fits over the outlet of the muffler. Notch the tailpipe so the band clamp compress the tail pipe tubing.
A little muffler paste will seal any tiny leaks.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

So is welding the exhaust a thing of the past now haha?
Old 09-04-2022, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,506 Posts

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
So is welding the exhaust a thing of the past now haha?
Uhhh... don't you think it might be kinda neat to be able to disconnect the heasders from the rest of the system??
Old 09-04-2022, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Uhhh... don't you think it might be kinda neat to be able to disconnect the heasders from the rest of the system??
. . . I just meant the use of welded flanges, or butt-welding pipe further downstream. Is everyone just switching to slip couplers at every joint, or is anyone still butt-welding or using welded flanges? Obviously, I'm not just welding the headers to the rest of the system directly, hence the original question about what people are doing with headers that don't come with a flange on the reducer.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Great. I've used these before, but never at a header connection point. Didn't realize some companies were moving away from a gasketed or ball/socket joint at the header and relying on slip fittings now.

Usually, I like to weld a ball joint to a flex pipe to help take some vibration and movement out of the headers, especially on aluminum heads. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/v...saAo3eEALw_wcB

Guess I could still do that but with a slip clamp, and then weld some of the larger runs tonight with a disconnect point half-way.
I've never seen anyone use a flex joint on a header connection. I've used the lap/slip joints for years and never had a problem, They never have come loose and there are no gaskets to blow out.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-04-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 349 Likes on 253 Posts

Back in the day (we are talking 40 years ago) when I was a chev line tech we were the first in the area to get a muffler/pipe bending machine. We had training from the supplier rep. He told us unless it's a really long run to the muffler the first exhaust hanger should be at the back of the muffler. That gives some "flex" to the exhaust pipe after the exhaust manifold or header.
I've done the same thing in the pic above on a few hot rods as LLLosingit has done. Again zero failures. Now I just use the 1" wide clamps.
Because my hot rods aren't mega HP after the 3" collector I do weld the 3" to 2.5" reducer to the exhaust pipe.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Having a pile of the ones linked to above in my garage, this kind is much, much sturdier if the sizes will work for you. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-05-2022, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

I welded flanges on to my headers, reducing the 3" exit down to a 2.5" tube. At one point I did have flex pipes on the exhaust, I went through two sets before deleting them because of leaks.

You could weld up a reducer (in what ever size you need) to a 3" slip fit, slide that over the collector, and clamp it using the clamps show above in @LLLosingit 's post. That way you don't have to grind off the ceramic coat on your headers

Last edited by lees02WS6; 09-05-2022 at 10:25 PM.
siggyfreud (09-06-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

My jeep is all welded Flanges and tbolt clamps.. each section can be removed to let me get at stuff.
We will see how it lasts...
siggyfreud (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

My recommendation would be to use the Torca coupler clamps that the headers were designed to be used with (they are packaged with the related Hooker Blackheart exhaust systems that attach to the headers). They are the same clamps that have been used on OE exhaust systems for years now and you can purchase a 2-pack of these clamps right off of the Holley website as part number 41173HKR.
siggyfreud (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 12:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
I welded flanges on to my headers, reducing the 3" exit down to a 2.5" tube. At one point I did have flex pipes on the exhaust, I went through two sets before deleting them because of leaks.

You could weld up a reducer (in what ever size you need) to a 3" slip fit, slide that over the collector, and clamp it using the clamps show above in @LLLosingit 's post. That way you don't have to grind off the ceramic coat on your headers
Were you using the braided stainless flex pipes? Are those the ones that eventually leaked for you?
Old 09-06-2022, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 165 Posts

Were you using the braided stainless flex pipes? Are those the ones that eventually leaked for you?
Whatever these are. They ended up being unnecessary as with hangers placed 3/4 of the way down, and then again at the mufflers and tips I have sufficient give to prevent cracking.

Quick Reply: Hooker Blackheart - no reducers - preferred way to connect?